Photo

Small lot anodizing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SchrödingersCat

SchrödingersCat

Ranger 4

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Can anyone recommend an anodizing company that will do very small lots? I have three pcs of aluminum angle 2” by 3”.

#2 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

You might contact Moonlight. He does his own anodizing and I know that he has done custom Delrin parts for people.

#3 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Running Springs, California

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

All the anodizers I have delt with in So. Cal area will do a small lot but have a minimum lot charge of around $65 for type II anodizing, higher charge for hard anodizing and perhaps colors.I wouldn't know as I only do black.

Don Clement

#4 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

• Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

If you have a battery charger and sulphuric acid you can do it yourself. You'll need acid, caustic soda, organic dye (Dylon fabric dye or printer ink) good gloves, a dc power source and various acid proof containers. (and an understanding partner).
http://astro.neutral.org/anodise.shtml

step by step;
http://astro.neutral.../anodise5.shtml

#5 SchrödingersCat

SchrödingersCat

Ranger 4

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks all,
I will opt for the out sourcing of the task (I simply don't want to deal with the environmental hazard).
The parts are part of a mirror cell. Black is preferred.
I will contact Moonlite, but in the event that they decline, please keep the suggestions coming.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Thanks all,
I will opt for the out sourcing of the task (I simply don't want to deal with the environmental hazard).
The parts are part of a mirror cell. Black is preferred.
I will contact Moonlite, but in the event that they decline, please keep the suggestions coming.

About all I can suggest is finding a small machine shop that has anodizing done and seeing if you can get your parts included in a batch.

Jon

#7 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Should be pretty easy to find an anodizing or machine shop that will do it, especially if you live in or near a fairly large town.

#8 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Where are you located? There's a guy near me who does anodizing of small things. Contact me (PM) and I'll get his information later this week if interested.
Thanks

#9 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

Have you considered leaving it shiny natural, after polishing with the 3M abrasive loaded nylon scrubber pads? And/or Alodine, Chroma-Coat, Iridite, etc. chromate conversion coating bath ? Yes, I know that Erin Brockovitch might not approve.

#10 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

http://www.focuser.com/anodize.html

DIY kit and instructions from the manufacturer of Moonlite products...

#11 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I wrote a small submission in 1974(?)for the Allan Mackintosh ATMT II book from Willmann-Bell.

The Moonlite material, above, is very detailed. As one can see, as was my experience, anodizing can be a space-consuming tail wagging the dog, particularly if dyeing and sealing are included.

Beware: Dyes fade in sunlight. I made some auto bumper parts which eventually faded. There are architechtural aluminum coloring processes which do not fade, but they are for industrial scale applications.

Metal Finishing magazine, and its annual or biannual handbooks , have a wealth of relevant information and applicable advertising.

H2SO4, aluminum wire to shove into the part for electrical contact, a 12v battery charger, lead or aluminum (ff. Newman at Moonlite, above)cathode, and (optionally) some caustic drain cleaner Drano or Red Devil, a 5-gallon bucket or two, and some de-smutter ( try to buy some from a professional shop}, would make a basic kit. It is now difficult to get de-smutter or other supplies from the manufacturers, in any but unrealisticly large amounts.

Water for the optional caustic Drano/ Red Devil solution light etch, for uniform appearance, can be heated in a microwave oven, before adding the crystals, if convenient. The water should not be boiling, but the reaction is very slow at room temperature.

Anodizing is very helpful for threaded aluminum parts.
But for many other applications, the no-current chromate conversion coatings using hexavalent chromium ( now semi-banned, but you can still get it for aircraft maintenance around airports) give attractive yellow to bronze iridescent finishes.

Trivalent chromium based baths, environmentally benign(?), are now coming in. It is greenish. I am told that one should get a good PH meter , because bath control is more important than with hexavalent chromium, which has been the standard since WW II. Hexchrome has been often simply described as Alodine, as in " make me a Xerox" (copy). Hexchrome does not occur naturally. Trichrome does, as in green leafy vegetables, in minute amounts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics