Celestron's Skyq?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

I see lots of posts here and over @ the NexStar forum about Skysafari but almost nothing about Skyq. I saw a demo of the app at Starzona in Tucson, AZ and found the app to be easy to use, feature rich and now one can align & GOTO with the same app. So why no comments about Skyq? Is anyone using it? if not, why?

Me? I do not have the hardware to run any app; just a laptop. I'm still using NexRemote with a wireless game controller and StarChart 3.x or Asrtoplanner 2.x to control my C 11 GPS. Would I use Skyq? From what I have seen, Yes, if I could afford the hardware.

#2 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I downloaded the SkyQ app when I thought I was going to buy a Celestron mount. I played with it and liked it quite a bit, but after discovering this web site and reading a lot of the comments here, I downloaded Sky Safari -- and there was no looking back for me. Sky Safari runs rings around the Celestron app.

The major problem with the SkyQ *hardware* is that nothing can connect to it except Celestron's own app, which is a bit lacking when compared with state of the art apps like Sky Safari, as I mentioned above.

I ended up sending back my SkyQ hardware, and I deleted the SkyQ app. Now have Sky Safari Pro and SkyFi, and that combination works like a charm.

-- Chris

#3 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

The major problem with the SkyQ *hardware* is that nothing can connect to it except Celestron's own app, which is a bit lacking when compared with state of the art apps like Sky Safari, as I mentioned above.
-- Chris

I did notice that The Sky X connected to it in their video.

#4 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

-- Chris

Good info, but TheSkyX isn't in the same ballpark price-wise and requires a laptop.

-- Chris

#5 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

-- Chris

Good info, but TheSkyX isn't in the same ballpark price-wise and requires a laptop.

-- Chris

The new mounts and maybe even SkyQ are shipping with a version called... brain stopped working.. I think first light edition of The Sky X.

#6 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

The new mounts and maybe even SkyQ are shipping with a version called... brain stopped working.. I think first light edition of The Sky X.

I've bad news for you: my brain has been doing that for years. It doesn't get better. In fact, it %}^~{}?< :crazyeyes:

-- Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics