VENUS DAYLITE UPDATE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

• Loc: SARASOTA,FL

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

VENUS is a small ball as it continues to move from the earth an nearer to the sun at superior conjunction (behind the sun) i spotted it today 17deg west of the sun in 8x50 mm finder.i drew a picture of it but will have to find out how to post the picture.ok picture posted but the planet is moving away from us not towards us as i had erroneously thought so it will not be that good as its very low on horizon especially for the northerners as i am in florida 10 deg higher but still not too good. using magnifiaction of 60x to 200x .ACTUAL SIZE 32MM 8" :D

Attached Files

#2 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

using a celestron 8 with ultima eyepieces 32mm 12.5 mm 10 mm.also have a televue zoom from 2000 an works great made in taiwan an were better than the regular c -ep.

#3 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

i will follow it as close as i can to the sun in the next few days an report but the solar glare an small disk will not show much if anything.wont be till late feb or march to see it better.

#4 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

venus better seeing conditions today at 10.15 est sky is bluer but still a few clouds.venus appears very slightly gibbous as it draws nearer the sun.16.8 deg west an 3 degrees lower than sun.try an spot it with finder or binocs. 1 pinky streched out to sky is 1 degree.a fist 10deg., index finger to pinky streched is 15 deg.thumb to pinky streched 25 deg an its pretty accurate. i hope to take pics in march when its on opposite side of sun an east an much closer to us an much better conditions.

#5 Meep_Esq

Meep_Esq

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Hi Robert. Are you using any filters while observing?

#6 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

yes, i use a orange #21 an a light purple filter an light yellow. ive seen the ashen light an also some mysterians markings near the cusps.there is definitely activity going on with venus an i think there at times openings in the cloud cover.if you read a real good book PLANET VENUS by patrick moore.in fact you can down load it for free,just google it.ive seen a few of the things mentioned over the past 35 years that coincided with a few astronomers an amatuers.real brite spots an dark shadings but the brite ones are like a white round spot an shiny.and thx for asking VAUGHN.hope we can share a few things.if i can be of help just ask.

#7 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

my notes above on the last part as i said are in error.venus is moving away from us an at months end will go behind the sun,but still should be fun to watch in next few days it should be gibbous.we shall see.ill post some more drawings as the phase changes.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics