• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Covington, GA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Tube after light cleaning. Nothing major was done today beyond cleaning objective.

Attached Files

#27 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Focuser after very light cleaning. Really just removed a little surface dirt. Not even a good cleaning yet.

Attached Files

#28 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

That's it for tonight. I need to get some sleep. I will post more when I can.

#29 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the photos Daren, looks nice. Just wondering if you had a chance to remove the legs from the pier. Under the pier legs of my 15TEA (now belongs to Mark) the numbers 1,2,3 were written. See thread Tasco 15TEA.

#30 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Not yet. I hope to do that tomorrow and am very anxious to do so. I will post pics when I do.

#31 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Nice subterfuge with the "I may get to the (yawn) estate sale a day late to collect an incredible deal" My quotes not yours. I was like you are kidding! And you were. I have the Sears equivalent model 6336. My legs are numbered 25, 26, 27. Pier #9 in the production line?

I'm glad my pre-buying cheerleading didn't influence the seller. Certainly worth well more than $225 even with the missing CW shaft and weight. And at just $200... Dawg!

#32 JamesE

JamesE

impetuous lurker

• Loc: Westbank, BC, Canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

Wow Congrats that is Awesome!

Nice find!

#33 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

I got to work a little on the pier today. The leg numbers are 123, 124, and 125. If they are truly numbered as they came off the line then that would be scope number 41. The chrome bolts holding the legs on are showing copper in places. The leveling bolts show actual rust and at least one is bent. I may cut the bolt and then remove it and replace with new chrome bolts. I plugged the drive in for a few moments and it sounds like it is running fine though I don't trust the old cord that is showing its age. It will be replaced. I'm trying to keep it as close to original as possible but feel the cord is a safety issue and the leveling bolts are detracting from an otherwise great condition scope. Besides, I don't like rusty parts against parts that are not rusting. Did these leveling bolts ever have anything on the end of them? It does not appear they did on this one. I will try to post more pics soon.

#34 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

I love the two slow motion controls having different grips. This allows you to tell in the dark that you are grasping the correct one prior to turning it.

#35 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Pier pic after just wiping it down...

Attached Files

#36 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Writing on Pier. It is very hard to see...

Attached Files

#37 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Pier legs pic. Note the rusted leveling bolts with nothing on them. Note: one on right has been wiped down a bit. Looks like a very small amount of rust on end of legs also.

Attached Files

#38 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

And writing on back of one of legs. Again hard to see. This one was not cleaned yet.

Attached Files

#39 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Bolts that were holding legs to pier. A small amount of surface rust is visible on a few of them but more evident is copper revealed by missing chroming.

Attached Files

#40 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Finally got around to disassembling the mount. It's in good shape but somebody really tried to do some adjustments on it using brute strength. Disassembly took a little more time than I expected and my wife believes there is no way I will get it back together but that will not be a problem. First off, thanks to Preston Smith for his fantastic thread on rebuilding a Tasco Mount. Though this mount was not exactly like the one he posted the thread about it was close enough to be of great help. This mount was very dirty. Grease was all over it and it was dried on and caked on and just nasty. The Azimuth slow motion would not turn at all. You will see why soon. The Motor works perfectly though and the gear is fine so things should work well once assembly is complete, hopefully tonight.
I didn't take too many pictures during dissassembly but I do have a few. I will take more pictures during reassembly. Oh well, how can I tell that somebody tried to adjust it with brute strength? Take a look at this picture showing the two bushings. Note one has slight marks from the previous owner trying to turn it and the other is in really bad shape from the previous owner trying to adjust it. The one that looks really bad is also scratched up inside from the previous adjustments.

Attached Files

#41 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

The difficult issue with this mount is going to be readjusting these to get really good movements out of the RA axis. On the mount that Preston dissected the set screws for these were on the side and bottom of the mount, all accessible without totally tearing the mount down. On this model two of the set screws are on the side and easily reached but the other two are under the Declination setting circle. So, to get to these two you need to take the clamshell off, remove the setting circle, and then you can tighten these. I plan to leave the two inside loose so that the bushings can be turned and then after I get things set well I will tighten the ones on the outside to hold things still until I can disassemble the mount again to tighten the two hidden set screws. In this photo, after I cleaned much of the old grease off of this portion, you can see the hole for the set screw circled in red. Yes, that is mostly old grease on the inside yet to be cleaned out. It had a grease that reminded me of what you would use for greasing bearings and it is old, caked on in places, and really difficult to remove.

Attached Files

#42 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Removing the bottom half of the clamshell required removing a set screw and then a ring that held it on. Beyond that everything was close enough to how Preston's mount was assembled to make it easy to use the same directions. Here is a picture with the set screw circled.

Attached Files

#43 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

sometimes i use goof off.
put it on a rag and wipe avoiding painted areas.
works pretty good.

#44 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

I'll give that a try. I have a couple bottles at home and the good thing about goof off is that it doesn't stink badly like many solvents. The wife will like that. Thanks Mustgobigger.

#45 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Here is a picture of the Bushings after cleaning. As you can see, whom ever did the 'Adjustments' in the past really did a number on them. I will try to get more pictures over the next few days during reassembly.

Attached Files

#46 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Pics of the reassembled mount. Things I noticed. Whomever had this before me did some bad things. I'll tell what they were as I go through. In this first pic there is a small amount of the original felt that came loose and has been folded over. The orange under is the glue that was holding it down, not rust. I will remove this and replace with new felt when I get some. Note where it says Tasco. This piece is supposed to be keyed so that it stays in the correct orientation. The previous owner must have not known how to assemble this as when they put it back together they placed a plate that was for the other side (Visible in other pics) beneath this one and broke the key off. Any ideas how to fix this? I am considering melting some solder into a ball on the correct location then carving it to form a new key but I don't know if that will be strong enough.

Attached Files

#47 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

The RA pointer was bent. I corrected it to a degree but didn't want to try to bend it back to perfect as I don't want to stress the piece. It seems solid enough.

Attached Files

#48 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

In this view you can see the plate that was placed under the Tasco plate at one time. It is next to the Knob to tighten this axis.

Attached Files

#49 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Here you can see where a portion of the origional felt was removed to gain access to allow disassembly of the mount. You can see that it is much cleaner. Good news now is that both RA and Decl slow motion controls are working fine.

Attached Files

#50 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

Here is another view...

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics