4 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Howdy gang-

Considering add some Bino's to my scopes. I was looking at the Nikon Action Extreams, went to my local BassPro to try time out, and ran across these Leupold BX-1's. I played with them for a bit; they seemed nice, decent FOV, seemed sharp. The specs seem good on paper, BAK-4 prisms, N2 purged, about $120.

Anyone use these? Any idea how they will work at night? How about the Leupold brand in general, Good or pass? and how would they compare to the Nikon AE's that cost $50+ more?

Leupold BX-1

#2 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hi,

I received the 8x50s as a Christmas gift. Only real use they've seen so far is at a football game on an extremely dim, overcast day. I could not believe my eyes - these are incredibly sharp and bright binoculars. For 50mm objectives, they are light weight as well - I had no trouble holding these for most of the 4 hours. They entirely exceeded my expectations, which were high to begin with.

The only downside is that build quality is not up to what I consider Leupold standards. Despite the brand's usual "Made in USA" product, these are Chinese and it shows in the details. For example, the little button that bears the Leupold logo was not installed straight, and the focus ring was very stiff at first (but loosened up some after operating it through the full range several times).

Nits aside, the optical performance of is going to be hard to match at this price point, which I assume was the goal when Leupold chose to have these built in China. I do feel I got more than my $100 worth.

#3 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Welcome to the forum,Jarrod!

One thing you will doubtless learn if you continue to follow this forum is that NONE of the Leupold binoculars are really MADE in the USA.

I've no idea why a production procedure in China would be more likely to result in a little button being installed less straight than if it were installed in the USA, but it could be the subject of an interesting separate thread.

Kenny

#4 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Thank you. My only personal prior experience with Leupold is a made in USA rifle scope. It is a very fine instrument that with the exception of the optics, has a quality of materials and construction in a different class than these binoculars. Price, too.

If I've offended anyone with my comment that associated China with inferior quality construction, I do apologize. I realize that by doing so, I've applied a stereotype. As with all stereotypes, it does not always apply.

But it does in this case :grin:

However, I won't let that get in the way of my enjoyment of them. They are built to a price point, and the performance you get for that price is very favorable in my view.

#5 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for your input, Jarrod!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics