Photo

Zoom Lens Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Atl

Atl

Viking 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I just bought a 1.25" Russel Optics 8-16mm zoom lens off Ebay. I just wanted something to pack when I don't intend on carrying a lot of eyepieces. I have heard a lot of good and bad on zoom lenses. What is the real deal on them? Are they good for observing or not?

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Most zooms give reasonable views, some more than others. Most zooms have reasonable FOV at high powers, but suffer from narrow FOV at low power. For general viewing, they'll work. They're great for GrabnGo or if it's cold and you don't want to be switching around eyepieces. Where they excel is letting you know what to expect from fixed focal length eyepieces, although fixed focal length will actually give somewhat better views. They're great for determining what f/ls work best for you....

#3 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Just tested out one i bought today briefly for first time on moon in daylight and its reasonable. not a great test by any means but i surely will be doing some more , tonight ideally. im hoping to change EP's less in the cold for sure. if it works for you its a good EP :)

#4 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

+1 on csrlice12..
exactly my experience, to the letter :goodjob:

#5 Atl

Atl

Viking 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Well cold weather is what drove the purchase. The fov is 50 degrees at 16mm and 65 at 8mm. This seems pretty wide for a zoom. I guess this will suit my purpose. Its not like I have a huge collection of Televues to choose between anyway.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics