Jupiter 1.19.13 with the ASI120MM

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Finally had a spot of good seeing to really give this cam a good run at Jupiter. Super impressed with the results.

Seeing was probably 7/10 Shot at 3:06ut

Large:
http://rankinstudio....Jupiter_1.19.13

Enjoy!

Retouched a bit:

Attached Files

#2 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Very good!
detail and comfortable color

#3 Mert

Mert

Skylab

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

That's impressive David, excellent result!

#4 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Thanks Guys. I am wondering how this cam is more sensitive than the Flea3? I can shoot much higher frame rates and it also creates much larger video files in the same amount of time. Another thing that surprised me is I don't need any spacers at all to get Jupiter to fill up the chip? On the flea3 I have to put a lot of spacers on it to get Jupiter large enough on the chip. Great little cam.

#5 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Reprocessed R50% RGB at 130%.

Attached Files

#6 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Very nice!

#7 Tassydevil

Tassydevil

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tasmania, Australia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Very nice.

#8 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Good to see you finally got a break in the weather David. A fine image - well done!

Glenn

#9 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Thanks guys!

Yes, finally some decent seeing. Tonight looks promising as well. Going to have to see what becomes of it :)

Cheers

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thanks Guys. I am wondering how this cam is more sensitive than the Flea3? I can shoot much higher frame rates and it also creates much larger video files in the same amount of time. Another thing that surprised me is I don't need any spacers at all to get Jupiter to fill up the chip? On the flea3 I have to put a lot of spacers on it to get Jupiter large enough on the chip. Great little cam.

David, since Sam asked me to help "launch" this camera outside of China back in September 2012 I am still finding myself "gob-smacked" at times with its' performance.....at the time Sam sent me some images from a couple of Chinese AA'ers (himself & ZZ included if I recall correctly) and he thought then that it would out-perform the DMK618 camera, backing it up with some pretty strong evidence.....

I was reticent to "go the whole hog" and employ it in preference to my Flea3 because, as everyone knows, that camera has an extremely good reputation and I'd been using it very successfully for over 2 years...

To cut a long story short I have no hesitation now in stating from an empirical perspective that it is the better camera of the 2.....no problems with others disagreeing on this point but what I pulled last night at well under 30 degrees elevation only enhanced that personal appraisal..! :)

You've created a fine image here and I'm sure you'd agree that it should only get better with further useage!!! :waytogo: :)

As to the smaller pixel size in the sensor I find operating at considerably lower f/l's produces a really "sweet spot" but I now have a fully-fledged variable amplification fitting (home-designed naturally! :grin:) that accomodates a whole range of image scales.

This morning the ASI120MM demonstrated its advantages with 50fps captures in all channels where the Flea could only approach said in the red, with blue being almost half that rate! :shocked: :grin: Image scale at that comparison is smaller despite the smaller pixels - but I'm finding this scale to be in a really "sweet spot" for my C14 and as yet I'm not being handicapped by the image sizes...they are taking upsampling better than the (larger) Flea3 images would, which suggests to me it really is a winner on all fronts! :waytogo:

Will post my own results from last night/this morning when I get home tomorrw from my local dark sky site - and hope to see more fine images from you and others with this cam soon..! :)

#11 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I'm curious as to the availability of this camera in the US? thanks, -Tim

#12 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

David, since Sam asked me to help "launch" this camera outside of China back in September 2012 I am still finding myself "gob-smacked" at times with its' performance.....at the time Sam sent me some images from a couple of Chinese AA'ers (himself & ZZ included if I recall correctly) and he thought then that it would out-perform the DMK618 camera, backing it up with some pretty strong evidence.....

I was reticent to "go the whole hog" and employ it in preference to my Flea3 because, as everyone knows, that camera has an extremely good reputation and I'd been using it very successfully for over 2 years...

To cut a long story short I have no hesitation now in stating from an empirical perspective that it is the better camera of the 2.....no problems with others disagreeing on this point but what I pulled last night at well under 30 degrees elevation only enhanced that personal appraisal..! :)

You've created a fine image here and I'm sure you'd agree that it should only get better with further useage!!! :waytogo: :)

As to the smaller pixel size in the sensor I find operating at considerably lower f/l's produces a really "sweet spot" but I now have a fully-fledged variable amplification fitting (home-designed naturally! :grin:) that accomodates a whole range of image scales.

This morning the ASI120MM demonstrated its advantages with 50fps captures in all channels where the Flea could only approach said in the red, with blue being almost half that rate! :shocked: :grin: Image scale at that comparison is smaller despite the smaller pixels - but I'm finding this scale to be in a really "sweet spot" for my C14 and as yet I'm not being handicapped by the image sizes...they are taking upsampling better than the (larger) Flea3 images would, which suggests to me it really is a winner on all fronts! :waytogo:

Will post my own results from last night/this morning when I get home tomorrw from my local dark sky site - and hope to see more fine images from you and others with this cam soon..! :)

I have found everything you said to be true. I actually have my Flea3 posted for sale in the classifieds ;). I had got into this realm of imaging with the DMK21 and really enjoyed its ability to do long exposures. I was somewhat disappointed when I got the Flea3 and it couldn't do longer exposures. While the Flea3 is an awesome camera, I am fully sold on the ASI120MM as my main planetary cam now, and also surprised how well it does with deep space imaging.

Yes, I am still surprised how much Jupiter fills the chip at lower FL's, and how much more light I am getting. I am really itching to shoot Saturn with this thing as it has always been such a tough target with my setup.

Looking forward to seeing what you post!

Cheers,

#13 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'm curious as to the availability of this camera in the US? thanks, -Tim

You can buy it directly from Sam at ZWO Optical here:

http://www.zwoptical...SI120/index.asp

The shipping is surprisingly fast.

Cheers,

#14 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

David, you got that zorro strike too! Nice!

Mike

#15 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Mike

Yes, I noticed it during processing, interesting feature for sure. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics