• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Hi All, Just got the accessories for the 14g and I'm thinking is there is another way to power the three fan system. I don't know how long the 8 D cell battery pack will last but I do not want to have to replace them very often. The pack is small enough but still I will have to find a place for it to set on the scope base. I was thinking of making my own cord with a speed control built in with a RCA plug that would plug in to the port on my dew controller that has a constant 12 volt supply. My concern is will it drain my gel battery. I can get a full night of observing with the battery just running the single fan and three dew strips on my 10" Has anyone done any DIY power set up for the three fan system or should I just go with the battery pack? Also anyone getting the 14g should get the padded case set. On first inspection it looks well made and I know it will help save the scope from minor bumps from loading.

#2 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Got any images? I live vacariously through them. :) Was the fan install simple and easy, how did you route the power?

#3 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have not got the scope yet, it's on back order. Should ship Jan 25. I will be posting many pics as well as pros and cons and first light report. I was just wondering if anyone with the three fan system from Orion has come up with a way to provide power besides the D cell battery pack. I'm thinking about making a cable with a speed control switch and and RCA jack that I can then plug into my dew contrioller port that has constant 12v.

#4 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Speed Controller This is for the electronic folks out there. I know very little about electronics. I can rewire things but when it comes to ohms, volts and Hrzt and such I'm a complete novice. I may want to run a cable from the fans to my dew controller constant 12v port. I want to add a speed control for the fans and found this on amazon. It is 12v 2 Amp and the fans only pull .12 Amps. Will this controller push too much Amps and burn up the fans. My novice skills say yes. It;s to bad because this looks like it would have worked very well otherwise.

#5 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

I have had the multi "D-cell" battery pack that came with my XX14i running on its original set of batteries for months at a time. I have run it all night on a couple of nights and the pack holds up pretty well. I do have a much larger deep-cycle battery for it if needed, but quite frankly, for as little time the scope is out, the small included pack works just fine. I stuck it on the outside of the lower OTA near the back to improve the scope's overall balance. Clear skies to you.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics