8 replies to this topic

#1 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Stanford, California

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hello,

I used to do imaging with my Canon but recently went over to CCD imaging and to make matters worse went over to Nikon for my day photography. I have a D800 with a 35M sensor.

I have attached it to my C8 rig with good autoguiding off axis from my STT 8300M.

Maxim DL now has a plug-in that allows me to collect images up to 30s... seems to be a bug > 30s. In any case I can get a lot at 30s and can stack them.

I have shown the images to a few folks who say they would improve with flats. Great. I have collected a lot using the Nikon and the multitude of controls. I have a lot of trouble figuring out how to apply the flats in ?Maxim. I also have DSS.

I put one basic image up at Astrobin. (There are stars here when you blow it up- trust me).

Posted Image

Thanks for any help... like to use this toy and collect wide-fields at the same time as my regular imaging...

#2 Nils_Lars

Nils_Lars

Voyager 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Looks good and flats will help but I have mostly just used GradientX instead and it works ok most of the time , 30s might be your limiting factor but still plenty of widefield you can do with that.

#3 Tslisher

Tslisher

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

You need a special cable to be able to go more than 30s with any Nikon camera. I haven't gotten one yet either, and can't remember who sells them off the top of my head. Someone want to chime in that remembers?

#4 srosenfraz

srosenfraz

Skylab

• Loc: United States

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I haven't ever used a Nikon, but I know that Shoestring Astronomy sells the DSUSB and a variety of connectors for various Nikon cameras. I had used the DSUSB with my Canon 350D and 20Da, and it worked perfectly for those models.

#5 terry59

terry59

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

You need a special cable to be able to go more than 30s with any Nikon camera. I haven't gotten one yet either, and can't remember who sells them off the top of my head. Someone want to chime in that remembers?

Shoestring Astronomy as Scott said, DSLR Shutter from Craig Stark and, for now anyway, the only capture software I can recommend is TetherPro.

I shoot with a D50 :crazy:

#6 Lightning

Lightning

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

30 second subs at F/10 is going to be hard task for any camera. Any chance of dropping a focal reducer in there?

For stacking, perhaps give DeepSkyStacker (DSS) a go? I'm not sure about the RAW format that comes off the Nikons but it handle the Canon RAW files just fine.

Good luck, I've only heard good things about D800!

Cam

#7 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the comment. I have the special cable. Problem is inherent to the software.

I have some ideas on processing and shot a bunch of flats today.

BTW, if you look at the RAWs, there is so much resolution each star is actually a tiny triangle of autoguiding motion.... whill have to post a cropped image.

Here is the rig:

Attached Files

#8 alocky

alocky

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hi Jerry,
I use a D800 on the back of a tak FSQ106, and it's a fantastic astrophotography camera. I use the Nikon intervalometer to take subs out to 10 minutes- no problem, and I have Capture pro running on the laptop which downloads each file and gives me live view for focusing.
Processing these whopping files has proved another challenge entirely - a single full uncompressed raw nikon file is 74Mb. This will give DSS conniptions. I use pixinsight - and built a very big PC with multiple SSDs, a plethora of processers and lots of RAM to do the work.
I'm pretty chuffed with the results.
www.astrobin.com/users/alocky
I think part of the problem with the vignetting you're seeing on the C8 is a function of that massive sensor - you can only go so far using flats to fix the illumination problem as you're also boosting the noise towards the edge of the field. Having said that, pixinsight will do all the calibration, registering and stacking via the scripts, and you can go and have a refreshing drink while it does the work.
Great camera! I sleep with mine under the pillow now... :jump:

#9 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Guys, I am back with the D800. I have my Tak in the shop getting its collimation fine tuned, I have my D800 mounted on my EQ6 but (again) I am having problems getting Maxim DL to work right. I know others have given up.

As I read back on this, seems the solution is perhaps the Capture Pro software.

http://www.phaseone....-One-Pro-7.aspx

Seems to be a trials version. Is this the right software?

I have the DSUSB.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics