Mercurys next good observation date

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

• Loc: SARASOTA,FL

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

ok ill check that out.rick thx ok i see that great pics.i took many myself but that was 40 years ago.ive been out for almost 17 years.so im catching up.

#27 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

john,nice avatar ,i didnt notice it till rick gave me heads up.very nice.i guess you used eyepiece projection at sundown?

#28 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

never had the use or money for any worthwhile camera an stuff.most of mine were drawings,i sent some unto the baa,many years ago.

#29 Centaur

Centaur

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

well again i hear reports on both sides an i lean away from global warming until i see real results an credibility.

That does not appear to be a response or critique of the video to which you were directed.

#30 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

i didnt watch it yet.i was minding my granddaughter. .but again there are pros an cons to it.do you yourself believe in global warming? when i get the chance, tommorow ill respond.thx centaur

#31 Centaur

Centaur

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

i didnt watch it yet.i was minding my granddaughter. .but again there are pros an cons to it.do you yourself believe in global warming? when i get the chance, tommorow ill respond.thx centaur

Yes, Robert, anthropogenic global warning is not in scientific dispute. Some corporations find it in their interest to disseminate confusion to their media allies, just as Professor Wuebbles implies in his video. All that really should be in debate is the degree to which it might be harmful.

I shall await and respect your critique of the video. Keep in mind that Professor Wuebbles may not sound as silver-tongued as TV commentators like me, but he knows his science.

#32 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

well ,i will view it an give you my opinion,but i have heard many on both sides,but it does appear that its warming in certain areas but look at the winters lots of snow as well.climate changes are hard to predict.who really knows.ok till then ill keep an open mind an clear skies : to all. :cool:

#33 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

OK folks lets stick to the origional subject.

Rich (RLTYS)

#34 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

new york,long island,been there many times.l.i.e yikes

#35 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Viking 1

• Loc: Saugus, MA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

john,nice avatar ,i didnt notice it till rick gave me heads up.very nice.i guess you used eyepiece projection at sundown?

That particular sequence is made up of images taken from Oct 15 to Nov 2 of 2008. It covers Mercury through it's western elongation, and each frame is processed from videos recorded roughly around mid-morning. Most of the surface features shown are of the so-called non-Mariner side of Mercury. At the time of that sequence, the Messenger spacecraft had made 2 flybys of Mercury which recorded some of these features in detail for the first time. I had done a similar sequence in 2007 before Messenger imaged the planet, but improvements in technique resulted in better detail and contrast in the 2008 version.

I image Mercury using Barlow projection and usually near-IR longpass filters. Perhaps my best image to date is this one presented on the ALPO website: http://www.alpo-astr...rcuryblog/?p=52
Be sure to click on the image to enlarge it.

That Messenger comparison presentation was put together by ALPO Mercury coordinator Frank Melillo. Obviously there is no real comparison to the incredible Messenger image, but at least it demonstrates the reliability of the features I recorded that day.

#36 ROBERT FREE

ROBERT FREE

Mariner 2

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

john,thats fantastic work an i thank you for all of it.wow im impressed. i never took any photos of mercury but like i said made drawings an sent them into the british astronomical assn.many years ago.i saw mercury today an i posted it in another thread but it was very pale but nice.same size as venus.thx for all you have done.amazing.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics