Electronic Focuser for 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John_Cox

John_Cox

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

We have an 11 inch Celestron CPC 1100. Is it feasible to fit it with an electronic focuser and if so please recommend a brand? Thanks.

#2 snowcrow

snowcrow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Here is what I have:

http://www.telescope...lemotofocusf...

#3 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

I would say from the top down, as far as I have heard...

Feathertouch
Moonlight
JMI

after them comes the lower end of GSO and Synta brands.

It surprises me that you would have a fairly high end scope such as the CPC1100 and not know of these.

I see you are new to Cloudy Nights with your first post... are you also new to the hobby with this being your first scope?

so welcome to cloudy nights. you will find many knowledgeable people here. ask many questions and you will get many people willing to help.

Theo

#4 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

I have just concluded research into focusers for an EdgeHD 11" and ordered a Moonlight 2.5" CSL with 1.5" drawtube and Micro precision steppermotor drive with V2 controller. AFter about 3 mo0nths of research, talking to other users, and in particular, talking to Ron Newman at Moonlight5, Ron impressed me with his knowledge of the Celestron SCT's and his intent to make the best focuser for the SCT...

I also researched the Feathertouch and Rigel, and I have a JMI on a different telescope.

First, I ruled out JMI as its cheaply made, in my opinion I paid $179 for about $49 worth of gear, and the only good thing I have to say about it, it works... Too flimsy for a high quality deep space imaging telescope however works fine for a guide scope where focusing is not super critical. Were I to replace the JMI, I would purchase a Rigel next time...

As to the Feathertouch, communications did not get me satisfact6tory information, I am a technical person and I want to know how something works the way it does so I know I'm getting what will work for me the way I expect it to and I could not get the answers I wanted and was quoted a price that I felt was way higher than what I thought was reasonable.

Rigel looks like a good motorized focusing solution for a person doing visual work however as my interest is in deep space dim DSO imaging,I concluded the Moonlight focuser was the best solution for my needs.

And talking to Ron Newman of Moonlight on the telephone several times, Ron had all the right answers to my questions and I learned a lot while talking to him...

Therefore, I have ordered the Moonlight focuser for my 11" SCT and hopefully will have it next week... At that point I can tell you more about it if you are interested...

#5 Trombone

Trombone

Viking 1

• Loc: Canadian west (and north!)

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Ron's product is very nice. Pretty too! The personal service and knowledge you get from him is wonderful.

#6 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

I totally agree that Ron not only offers superior products, but great customer relations as well.
Michael

#7 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

http://www.cloudynig...d=telescopes...

Scroll down to see stepper geared to drive CPC focus knob

#8 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I have a Feathertouch 2015BCR with Starizona Microtouch powered focusing on my C11 Edge...works great :grin:

Clear Skies,
Brian

Attached Files

#9 nanochow

nanochow

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Does the 2015BCR allow enough travel to achieve prime focus on your CPC1100? Also, did you wind up getting the standard of the low profile 2" motor?

Thanks

#10 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

http://www.cloudynig...d=telescopes...

Scroll down to see stepper geared to drive CPC focus knob

Another example of astrophotography using stepper focus motor geared to CPC focus knob

http://www.pbase.com/skybox

#11 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

The surprising thing about Moolite is how basically simple they are. If design was the only thing involved anyone could do this. But execution has to be ninety percent of a good focuser. I have a Orion Premium 110ED that I picked up knowing it had a flukey focuser. The design was fairly complex and the materials very nice. I must have had it apart 10 times trying to get decent action out of it. I finally determined that the low speed drive pin was improperly ground and the irregularity was producing the thumpy action. Through a classified swap I got a WO parts focuser that appeared to be of the same manufacture, It had a good drive pin that solved the problem. So after two years I can enjoy the telescope.

Getting involved with Chinese products means that there is little or no support to deal with defects or worn parts. In the end it's cheaper to buy "local" and get that support and up front quality.

#12 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

I went with Rigel. Why? Great price, and they have, or will custom make a remote focus adapter for every scope I own. Even for my Feather touch crayford. I then can use one controller for all my imaging scopes. Many of the others only work with "their" brand of focuser. No sale! I have lots of various scopes that need to be fitted.

#13 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

I would say from the top down, as far as I have heard...

Feathertouch
Moonlight
JMI

after them comes the lower end of GSO and Synta brands.

It surprises me that you would have a fairly high end scope such as the CPC1100 and not know of these.

I see you are new to Cloudy Nights with your first post... are you also new to the hobby with this being your first scope?

so welcome to cloudy nights. you will find many knowledgeable people here. ask many questions and you will get many people willing to help.

Theo

You seem to be just listing focusers. He ask asked about electronic focusing. :cool:

#14 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Ranger 4

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

I used an Optec TCFSi with my CGE11" with excellent results. The key to using any of the add on focusers is, of course, being able to lock the mirrors but the Optec's temperature compensation was a winner for me as I do mostly AP.
Rgrds-Ross

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics