• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wis., USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

If a person were to find a nice OTA in the classifieds, and purchase it, how can you tell what type of mount can be used? It it pretty universal?

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Well it would depend on several factors -- what you want to do with the scope (visual or AP), weight and length of the OTA (every mount has a maximum load capacity) and mounting hardware available with the OTA. A good first step would be to check the new listings for the OTA in question and see what mount or mounts it is being sold on, since that would give you a good idea of the proper match.

#3 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Yep, what he said.

#4 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

If you are looking for an ALT -AZ mount which is the easiest for visual. I would look at Universal Astronomics. Larry the owner makes great mounts that are simple and sturdy. He is excellent to work with and his mounts are very good quality.

I have a dwarf star for a small refractor and it works outstanding.

He should be able to help you out whatever scope you get.

#5 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wis., USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

If you are looking for an ALT -AZ mount which is the easiest for visual. I would look at Universal Astronomics. Larry the owner makes great mounts that are simple and sturdy. He is excellent to work with and his mounts are very good quality.

That's awesome. So, if I were to come across a OTA, I shouldn't really have any fear of not being able to find a satisfactory mount for it?

#6 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

That's awesome. So, if I were to come across a OTA, I shouldn't really have any fear of not being able to find a satisfactory mount for it?

Yes, but and there is always a but. I don't want to mislead you. You can get a mount but you will also need a tripod to attach it to. With that said this changes depending on the weight of the scope you get. If its a small grab and go refractor you will be able to get something good for $200 - $300. If you get into a heavier piece you may be over $500.

My Dwarf Star mount was $150.00 and I already had a tripod that worked very well. The AT72ED I have is about 5 lbs. If you get a 25 LBS SCT you are going to need a bigger mount.

Just take all this into consideration before buying something. It may cost more than you think. I love my setup but with the scope, diagonal, mount, and tripod I am over $750.00.

Just some things to think about.

Ken

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics