• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 butsam

butsam

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I've got a really silly amateur question... Last night, I was looking at the Moon, and it was pretty bright (a little before First Quarter), but neat! Anyway, I pulled out the Moon Filter, and couldn't get it to thread on over the top of the EP easily (and I didn't want to apply much pressure -- don't want to damage the EP)...is it supposed to thread on like that (and do I need to worry about ruining the EP while trying), or am I using it wrong, or is it just a somewhat loose fit over the top?

The eyepieces I have (with the exception of the 25 mm which came with the scope) are all from the Celestron Eyepiece/Filter Kit, so presumably they do accept a filter...but am I being a total novice and just doing something incorrect?

#2 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hi Butsam,

I would hazard a guess that the moon filter rather than the EP is the culprit. There are some non-standard threaded EPs about but I would not think that those contained in the Celestron EP kit ranked amongst them.

But yes, I have experienced this type of thread binding myself on more than one occasion and a poorly constructed filter thread has invariablty proved to be the cause.

An easy check can however be made by screwing another filter into the same EP ; assuming that no damage to the EP's thread has occured, which is unlikely if the binding filter is made of plasic and that of the EP adapter: metal.

In any event, don't force the thread. Given that the moon filter will unscrew from the EP and that no damage has occured to the EP thread, I would be inclined to reject any further use of this filter and invest in a better quality one.

Hoping this helps,
Best regards,
Tel

#3 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi Butsam,

I sort of got the feeling, from reading your post,

("couldn't get it to thread on over the top of the EP easily")

that you were trying to fit the filter to the wrong end of the eyepiece.

The filter screws into the thread inside the bottom of the eyepiece.

I apologize in advance if I have you wrong, and you WERE referring to the bottom thread.

Regards. Peter.

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I think Peter's probably got the right idea. The filter goes on the end of the eyepiece that goes into the diagonal.

-Dan

#5 butsam

butsam

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

No, I was referencing the top; I set it on and it looked like it was sitting on the top, on the rubber, and I gave up on the lunar filter...wasn't even thinking that it would go on the bottom (I didn't even think that because I thought the filter wouldn't fit in that way, so I never even thought to feel for threads on that end), that would make too much sense! :) I knew I was missing something simple...lol :) Thanks! This will spare me later in the week when looking at the Moon! :)

Chalk this up there with my newbie mistake of nearly being very depressed on my first night because everything looked like a donut...although at least with that one, I finally realized I never touched the focus knob, and had a successful first night after all. :) lol With the moon filter, I just gave up because I didn't want to turn on a light (or ruin anything), and it wasn't necessary to have the filter to see with the phase of the Moon last night...and it was still a huge success :)

Sam

#6 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Don't worry about it Sam, been there, do that, so to speak.

Ask away with anything your not sure of.

Stay with it and using the scope will become second nature in no time flat.

Thanks for your report BTW.

Regards. Peter.

#7 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Good to hear your problem is sorted out, Sam ! :waytogo:

Nice reasoning and call, Peter ! :bow::bow:

Best regards,
Tel

#8 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

As Peter said Sam, no worries!

BTW, I sometimes will hold the filter over the eyepiece while looking at an object. If the filter helps, I can always pull out the EP and srew the filter into place for further observing. But often, the filter isn't producing the desired result and in that case, I don't have to remove the EP and unscrew the filter. Just a thought - to each his own. Oh and those filters do have a very fine thread, so as mentioned, don't force them.

Just so you know, I once made a similar error with the focus. I was at a private star party and was about to walk over to a friend and ask for help. But as I was leaving my scope one of the attendees' son (about 8?) looked through the EP and said, "Hey Mr. Skip, how do you focus this thing?" :foreheadslap: At least you were not shown that you were not smarter than an 8-year old! :grin:

Hang in there Sam. I think I could say with some conviction that we all have made these newbie mistakes. :p Nothing to be ashamed of. :smirk:

#9 butsam

butsam

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Thanks to all of you :) Very helpful forum! Especially this section! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics