Photo

Orion constellation with Orion 25x100

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Last night was the first clear night since the Orion GiantView 25x100 binoculars arrived a few days ago. I took them out in the cold for a very quick view of the Orion Nebula and the Moon at first quarter. WOW! Orion 25x100 is a keeper. However, it spiked on the bright star Sirius (mag -1.5). I also quickly looked at Jupiter and his moons. Impressive! But I cannot remember now if the 25x100s spiked on Jupiter. My guess is there may have been some flaring of Jupiter--but I just cannot remember as I write this.

I mounted the Orion 25x100 on a Manfrotto 3246 tripod with 501HDV head (maximum advertised support load 13.2 lbs). I used a Pentax vertical post (for use with the itty bitty Pentax Papilio 6x21). The Pentax plastic post raised the large objectives above the 501HDV head. Without a post, the large objectives bump the head. Fortunately, the plastic post head supported the Orion 25x100s, but was somewhat wobbly. Removing the binocular with post and plate was difficult--the plate kept hanging up on something in the groves of the 501HDV. So, I had to untwist the 10-lb Orions (like a big screw) by walking several times around the tripod while holding the support bar between the Orion objectives. After 5 times around the tripod, the Orions were loose enough to lift up and off of the 501HDV. This is something I remember about the 10-lb Garrett Signature 22x85--removal from the 501HDV. UGH!

Let me offer one off-the-cuff comparison of the Orion GiantView 25x100 from last night with the Garrett Signature 22x85, which I owned a few years ago--a 24-hour memory against a 3-year memory. The resolution is better in the Orion than my memory of the Garrett; more pinpoint in the Orion, less so in the Garrett.

I need to get a metal post. I think I remember seeing one for sale at Oberwerk's online store. I want my next purchase to be a surveyor's tripod and parallelogram for use with the Orion 25x100 and some of my other binoculars.

I purchased the Orion 25x100 as a trial because I wanted to try them out for hawk and large bird watching, as well as observing open star clusters in the night sky. The Orion does not work so well for the Wild Turkey Fence during the day; however, they are very good for open star clusters at night. I was disappointed with the Orion 25x100 daytime view of wild turkeys at 1000 yards; I decided to return the Orion--and I said so in another thread. However, last night I was impressed with the contrast and resolution of the Orion. Much better than I thought it would be.

I compared the Orion 25x100 with the Fujinon FMT-SX 16x70. Of course, the Fujinon had better resolution, especially on the Moon. But the views through the Orion 25x100 displayed a larger Moon (and the more detail of craters and mountains). I also saw more stars with the Orion 25x100 than with the Fujinon 16x70. Yes, the Orion GiantView 25x100 is a keeper for me.

I will post more results as I get more observing opportunities with the Orion 25x100.

#2 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I need to get a metal post. I think I remember seeing one for sale at Oberwerk's online store.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_binm.htm :grin:

http://bigbinoculars.com/acc.htm

#3 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Thanks Stan! You always are so good with the links.

#4 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

You're welcome Bob.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics