• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewHG

AndrewHG

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

:jump:After three months of busy Fridays, cloudy nights and my friend to busy to come out and play (I am in a wheelchair and need help with the equipment)I finally got the scope set up in the driveway to try out my new Canon T3i paired with the Canon DSLR Controller app I downloaded to my Android tablet.

The app can be downloaded at http://dslrcontroller.com/ and enables any Canon camera with Live View to be operated from a tablet. The camera is connected to the tablet using a standard digital/usb cable and once connected the app recognizes the camera and opens like a huge viewfinder. Almost every setting you want to make can be done on the touch screen.

I could go on and on about the features but instead will just tell you about the difference it made for focusing. The scope was moved to Sirius, centered in the tablet screen, enlarged 5x, a slow turn of the Meade focus and done. We then slew to M42, took one 30 second exposure and were rewarded with the photo shown here.

I give the Canon DSLR Controller two thumbs up! In the words of Ferris Bueller "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Attached Files

#2 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Interesting Andrew. Could you upload a screenshot of your Android?

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

This CN thread (in software forum) has some additional info and caveat.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics