Curioue regarding HC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

• Loc: Litchfield NH, USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

As a strong believer in the old adage, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" I'm a little more than curious about those who have "Upgraded their HC?" When I first got my 8SE I had what eventually turned out to be the normal problems getting the Go To to work properly. Of course like most newbies I thought that upgrading my HC would take care of them.
Fortunately I was warned before I did any thing to the HC and from what I've read on this forum all I can say is "Thank God" Tel and others were a great help getting me on the right path. While I still have a few quirks I'm sure they will work out as time goes by.
But back to my original question. I'd like to know who has upgraded their HC and been succesfull? Also, if succesfull what ailments did it cure, or were any benefits noticeable?
Fred

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I think most people who upgraded their handsets have been successful. However, I was not. After having my scope for less than a year, I updated the handset and motor controller firmware and made my handset unusable. I had to send it in to Celestron (under warranty) and get it fixed and returned. Took a couple of months out of my observing season and to be honest, I didn't see anything change after the upgrade.

I think Bob has the right idea. Unless you really need some new feature or bug fix, don't risk a firmware update.

-Dan

#3 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

If your HC locks up with a "no response 16/17" or "transmit data" reflashing/upgrading the firmware may be required if cycling the power or resetting to factory settings fail to resolve the situation.

Agree about leaving it alone if it's working although I personally find this mindset unnatural.

#4 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi Fred,
While, as you know, I subscribe to the "Leave it alone brigade", I'm intrigued to learn what the "Quirks", you mention, might be. (?) :idea:

Maybe we can help you overcome them ?

Best regards,
Tel

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I have upgraded my SE mount MC and HC firmware a few times since it was purchased in '08. I haven't had any issues in doing so and haven't notice that much of an improvement in the performance of the controller or the mount. I have also upgraded my 4 EQ mounts numerous times and there has been a great deal of improvement there. I have done upgrades for others at star parties and outreach and have never had a problem with the HC, MC, or CFM firmware programs. I paid the extra bit of money and purchased the Celestron USB to RS232 converter cable rather than one of the cheaper alternatives.

Stan

#6 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I have up-dated my HC several times... My first SkyAlign HC was version 4.00(?) Never had a problem...I currently am running 4.13 in both my 8i and my CPC1100 ...

NONE of the individual updates Improved performance..accuracy or tracking ... They all fixed minor bugs ... I'm at 4.13 because that one fixed a "little" problem with the cord warp function I guess it worked because I normally run without the cordwrap turned on anyway

IF I ran on a Gem mount or used a wedge..I would up=date to version 4.18 I think that version makes Polar aligning a little easier but since I run on Alt/Azm mounts I have no need for that update either...

It not only has to be broke for me to update but it also has to be of some BIG or VERY useful advantage for me to do it...

Bob G.

#7 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Post deleted by WaterMaster as it was a copy of the above post.

#8 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Bob, I think I have dejavu because it's too early for Groundhog's day!

I've only updated my cgem after it had developed some below the horizon slews during polar alignment. The update fixed the problem and it's running fine.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics