Eq north auto align finicky

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

So I'm having a little bit of difficulty with the eq north auto align. The stars it gave me tonight were aldebaran and capella. The goto worked great provided you were in the eastern sky but when I went to m31 I noticed I had a big problem... So I went to Scheat and replaced Capella and the alignment got a lot better.

Should I reject the suggested stars and always aim for stars far apart just like in the nexstar sky align?

#2 Motokid600

Motokid600

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, New Jersey

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

You should get alot more the two stars to choose from. It should list just about every significant star in the sky. Hm... maybe your GPS data is off? Or maybe the hand controls firmware.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Aldeberan and Capella should work fine--all over the sky. If not, hit that "Undo" and choose another star when you do the align, or, like you did "replace". I used these two on my last trip to the Chiefland Astronomy Village, and the NS11 put anything I requested anywhere in the sky on the chip of my Mallincam. The usual applies, of course: up and right for final centering and a reticle eyepiece.

#4 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

It gives more than two just those were the suggestions. I was surprised that they didn't give better sky coverage but then again the nexstar se6 needed well separated stars as well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics