• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceRooster

SpaceRooster

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

I have been reading about caring for eyepieces, and have run upon conflicting information. Half the articles I see suggest cleaning the eyepieces of oils since they can adversely affect the lens coatings. Others say you should never clean them since you will just end up scratching the coating. Which should I listen to?

#2 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Coatings are tough, and unless you are cleaning with an abrasive or corrosive, you will be fine. Soft tissue and isopropyl alcohol will remove all oils quite easily. Use methanol if it is persistant.

#3 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I bought some lens cleaner , a brush blower and fine cleaning cloths in a kit from astronomics just cause I wanted to cover the bases. There are some cleaning guides available here , if you need a link let me know

#4 John Kuraoka

John Kuraoka

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I cleaned the top lens of my 25mm for the first time yesterday night. I noticed a smudge of oil - I must've planted a finger on it while switching out eyepieces in the dark. I used the cleaning kit that came with my glasses: a gentle spray cleaner to break up the oil and a clean microfiber cloth to lift off the cleaner and oil. But in general, I clean the glass as little as possible. I did the same thing with my lenses when I was heavily into photography: clean the glass, but only when necessary.

#5 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I use a camera air & camel hair bulb. Then lightly wipe with a Zeiss wipe.

#6 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Tele Vue has some recommendations for cleaning optics here.

I bought one of these blowers, and it's absolutely GREAT.

-- Chris

#7 MG1962

MG1962

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I must admit I tried one of those lens cleaning pens from Celestron among other vendors. Worked really well for me

#8 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Me too but I know people think they're bad so I keep it a secret. Since you came out. I felt more confident to do so as well. I own a lens pen, there I said it!

#9 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Small Lens Pens work great on EP's and also has a nice retractable brush....I have several sizes.

#10 Seldom

Seldom

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

I've bookmarked this: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=v3vWB5EgG_Q
It was favorably referred to in another lens cleaning thread. The narrator quotes Televue, which indicates that lens coatings aren't very picky. Filtered Windex is one of Televue's suggested cleaners.

#11 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I was unsure of cleaning the ep's as well. No fears now.

#12 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I use this and it works great. ROR

#13 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

• Loc: Northern New Jersey

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Honest to Glob, I've used rubbing alcohol and a Kleenex for forty years and never had a problem. And I clean EP all the time. Every night I'm out. I'm very greasy. YMMV.

#14 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

I was afraid to clean my eyepieces for the first 2 yrs but now do so all the time. I use a blower bulb, ROR fluid and Q-tips.

The only things I think to add that are important to avoid (providing you are following some of the links in this thread are 1) do not put liquid directly on the lens for fear of it leaking into the eyepiece and getting moisture on the inside of the lens; and 2) don't wait so long to clean that you have caked on dust from repeated dewing over. That is the hardest kind of dust to remove before trying to clean the lens.

#15 FlorinAndrei

FlorinAndrei

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Tele Vue has some recommendations for cleaning optics here.

That's the best suggestion so far.

Tele Vue are the makers of some of the best optics in the industry. It makes sense to assume they know what they're talking about. Follow their recommendations when possible. That's what I do.

Especially important is the part where they tell you to use the bare minimum amount of alcohol. That's crucial. It makes the difference between a crystal clear lens and a so-so lens. Especially for low-contrast high-resolution targets like Jupiter, you should settle for nothing short of perfectly clean eyepieces. Other targets are less demanding.

#16 brianc99

brianc99

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'll submit another vote for the Giotto Rocket Air Blaster. Used it tonight to banish a spec on the underside of my Vixen 8mm plossl. It was the tiniest thing, had a tough time figuring out where it was, and when I did locate it refused to leave despite multiple attempts with a soft brush. I forgot I even had the thing, but suddenly remembered it and it did the job lickety-split. Besides, what could be cooler than a telescope accesory that looks like a rocket ship?

#17 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Would these methods work the same foe a bigger lens, say a corector plate on a SCT?

#18 Seldom

Seldom

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Would these methods work the same foe a bigger lens, say a corector plate on a SCT?

Does the corrector plate have the same anti-reflective coatings as a lens? For that matter, are all EP's coated the same?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics