• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dandabson

dandabson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dover, DE

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

So for a while I have been gathering pieces for a project guide scope. I was using a widefield 80mm with decent luck. I am only imaging with a 4.5 starblast imaging OTA and the guidescope was heavier and bulkier than the imaging tube. So, I purchased a used Bausch and Lomb 50mm finderscope with 3 point rings of the 'Mart'. Next came the new HP HD webcam I bought off ebay. I did the mods to the camera, removing excess plastic and lens, and tested it. I had an old 1.25 to 2 inch adapter sitting around. A lot of work with a metal file and it finally fit into the tube. I set it up on a tripod and attempted to get some video to align it to the imaging ota. I focused on the farthest point I could see away. A electricity pole box with a green LED light down the street. I focused and waited to give it a try at night. Well I set everything up and aligned the mount. I left the scope pointing at the last calibration star. I powered up the webcam expecting to see nothing, needing to adjust focus settings would take forever I thought. The window popped up on the laptop with a perfectly focused star. I slewed the scope over to M36 to try to image it. Sure enough the guidescope picked up a star. It guided perfectly for over 37 minutes. Not bad for something I cobbled together.

Attached Files

#2 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Nice work! :waytogo:

-- Chris

#3 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I find a lot of the fun is putting together equipment and finding to my surprise it works!
...Keith

#4 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Apollo

• Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Nice work! Nothing a little elbow grease and ingenuity can't solve!

Jaimo!

#5 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

There is a lot of pride (and it should be so!) in making a useful accessory for your self and it works so well!

#6 ZeroID

ZeroID

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

My guidescope is a 50mm bino objective inside a cutoff Xerox Toner tube with a cheap plastic focusser assembly with an SPS880 webcam mounted into a hommade angle aluminium with rubber straps and adjusting knobs.

Works perfectly, 2 hour guides using PHD.

#7 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Apollo

• Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

My guidescope is a 50mm bino objective inside a cutoff Xerox Toner tube with a cheap plastic focusser assembly with an SPS880 webcam mounted into a hommade angle aluminium with rubber straps and adjusting knobs.

Works perfectly, 2 hour guides using PHD.

You need to post a photo of that!

Jaimo!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics