Observatory from a Fiberglass Storage Tank

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#151 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

If you guys don't mind, I'm going to keep posting the progress. Lots to do yet - flooring, pier, and all of the extras that go with it.

Mind? We would be very disappointed! We want to keep following your progress! :bow:

#152 TeleTex

TeleTex

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Simply Awesome. Keep the post coming!

#153 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:31 AM

Outstanding job. Looks beautiful

#154 berlinstar

berlinstar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin Center, OH

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

What are you guys doing for dew/humidity control??? At the moment, the OB is sitting on bare ground with no ventilation - I've gone in there a couple of times in the morning hours and it's like walking into a rain forest, and the entire dome and walls are covered in condensate. I would think that by getting it up off the ground with 4x4 posts and a platform will alleviate most of this problem???

#155 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

and possibly a vapor barrier if not on a slab.

What are you guys doing for dew/humidity control??? At the moment, the OB is sitting on bare ground with no ventilation - I've gone in there a couple of times in the morning hours and it's like walking into a rain forest, and the entire dome and walls are covered in condensate. I would think that by getting it up off the ground with 4x4 posts and a platform will alleviate most of this problem???

#156 Carl N

Carl N

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

I would recommend looking at a product called schluter kerdi,

http://www.schluter.com/8_1_kerdi.aspx

It is a fabric from Germany I used in my shower. You can attach it to wallboard, concrete, wood, anything. It creates a water barrier that is virtually unmatched. If you make a base of concrete, or wood then a layer of Kerdi, with a top layer of concrete, tile, stone, wood, whatever you want your floor to be, you will have no moisture from below. Then add a cut out square or two in your walls and place a vent screen for keeping out criters, you will have solved the rain forest problem.

#157 berlinstar

berlinstar

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Excellent. I appreciate the recommendations.

#158 berlinstar

berlinstar

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

We got our first two MAJOR storms yesterday. I checked the inside for leaks/drips, and had no water intrusion through the dome & shutter. Good sheet rain with high winds. Shutters are holding tight, etc!

#159 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hey,

I was showing this post to my dad and he expressed a lot of interest given that we live in a farming community and it's likely that many probably have these laying around. I'm also highly interested in the idea as I've always wanted an observatory, and my parents have always told me they would allow it since that they're not very happy with the southeast corner of the lot (below image, and it's actually kind of convenient given that it's closest to the middle of the field and away from any trees nearby). As i was showing my dad your steps he thought it was pretty sweet, and the end result appears to be clean and admirable in appearance (much better than a pile of old dead limbs and odds and ends).

I was curious as to what you're going to coat the door with that you covered with wood which you bent over the top. He was as well, just to keep it weather-proofed.

Attached Files

#160 berlinstar

berlinstar

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hey! Thanks for your interest! Actually, what I did was use one of the reinforcement ribs as kind of a drip edge for the door. The corners stick out a little and for longevity, I really should either cut them back under the fiberglass, or put a layer or two of glass over them.

Hope you can locate a tank, and you're welcome to ask any questions - hopefully I can help.

#161 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

berlinstar,Just wondering if you have been able to get additional images for the interior of your dome build?
It appears that it has been quite a while since anything has been posted. Thanks

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics