Azimuth clutch gets stuck

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I was wondering if it was normal for the Azimuth clutch to get stuck in cold weather. I take the scope out with the clutch loose then tighten for the goto routine. However after about 4 or 5 hours after I turn my scope off I find that I can no longer release the clutch by hand. Usually by the next day I can release it again. I would obviously like to avoid moving it with the clutch stuck like this and I was wondering if this was normal or if there was some key to getting it loose.

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I have had that happen a few times. I just GENTLY tap one of the clutch gripper ridges with a small hammer and it pops loose easily.

#3 Doc Bob

Doc Bob

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

I've also experienced this problem . . . did the same thing Mike suggested, and it worked. I have found that the clutch doesn't have to be ratcheted tight to work - actually on my scope I just lightly tighten the clutch; tracking is fine and it has not been stuck in 2 winters.

Regards,
Bob

#4 Koen Dierckens

Koen Dierckens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Antwerp, Belgium

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Happens to me too, but then the opposite way: if I tighten it when it is cold, I am unable to unlock it when it has warmed up. I guess it has something to do with thermal effects on the different components of the clutch. I always make sure the clutch is loosened when not in use. Best practice anyways.

#5 Doc Bob

Doc Bob

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

+1 Koen !

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics