• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Howie Glatter

Howie Glatter

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

No, I didn’t misspell it. I was privledged to be one of the first to hear that Kevin Frederick will attend the Winter Star Party, and plans to bring his 17” un-obstructed, Zambuto-mirrored Chiefspiegler telescope with him. Those of us lucky enough to be there may have a rare opportunity to view through this ground-breaking telescope, with an innovative optical design by Ed Jones. Kevin expressed some concern to me that with this telescope the eyepiece position is often just above the mirror box, and at the moment he is not shrouding the mirror. Observers should be extra careful to not allow anything to drop down from their person.

#2 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Howie Excited to go this is our first year . My wife is packing already .

#3 BJS

BJS

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Good news Kevin. I will definitely look you up down there.

Brian

#4 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

Me too, sounds interesting.

#5 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

Some on this new design It is a 17 inch off axis folded Herschellian corrected by two 4 inch lens Every surface is tilted and the corrector lens are tilted and decentered . The primary is hyperbolic f8 Carl Zambuto made it .The secondary optics are all spherical 4 convex and a concave They were done by Cumberland Optical I like making optics but for this I went with the best Still finishing up some things...Be nice to see all you there .

#6 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Be leaving on Friday staying at a friends house 5.5hrs north of WSP .He has some Retired Nasa friends that are interested in useing the telescope . Very cool guys/Fun to hear the about what they did in the moon program .

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics