• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hey everyone, I don't work for these guys -- I'm just a customer who received an email this morning -- but if you're in the market to make a big purchase, this may be the time to do it. At telescopes.com (not Orion, but Hayneedle), they're having two sales -- one announced and one not. The biggie is, today only, they're offering up to (and in some cases more than) 50 percent off selected items, plus free shipping. Here's an example:

Example

And another:

Example 2

That's the advertised sale. The unadvertised one is what I received in my email. Today and tomorrow, any purchase over $200 gets $20 off, and any purchase over $400 gets $40 off. (I don't know if you can get both discounts together -- all you have to do is try.) To get this, you type in the word WINTER in the promotions box at checkout.

Wish I had some money to burn! Enjoy ...

Meade

#2 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Those are their everyday prices. Their coupon codes are nice though!

#3 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Those Zumell EP's look just like the ones Orion sells for at half the price.

#4 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Ooops. Oh well. I did note that their "medium telescope case" is still on sale. (I bought one a year ago at that "sale" price and have never seen it go back to regular price.)

Well, maybe somebody was able to use the extra-off coupon.

Meade

#5 RealSorin

RealSorin

Vostok 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

I avoid telescopes.com for exactly the reason that most of their sale prices are BS designed to trick people into thinking they're getting a good deal when you are actually paying the regular MSRP. It's an effective sales tactic for consumers that don't do their pricing research. In my view it's also bad business ethics.

#6 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

They aren't the only people to do that.

#7 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

Well, I suspect we all do our do diligence when making a purchase, especially a high-dollar one like astronomical equipment. I always check multiple retailers' websites and then balance the lowest price vs. retailer reputation. Sometimes I'll pay a buck or two more to do business with a retailer I trust and that I've had good experience with before. But hey, you can't blame them for trying to their best to make a buck in this bad economy.

And while I "have the floor," I will say that I have purchased from telescopes.com before (that's why I received the email), and I've had nothing but very good experiences with them ... fwiw.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics