• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Granville Leong

Granville Leong

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

How to stack individual Ha and OIII channel files into these two master channel files in MaximDL? After using the "auto star matching" method for alignment and it went okay. However, when I performed the stack command, it kept giving an error message: Two Color group Group1 is missing required subgroups RG. Any help is appreciated.

Granville

#2 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Step one is to define which filter is going to be used for which color. You do that in the import portion of the stack command.

Process Menu--Stack
When the stack manu pops up, go to the "Classify by Filter and click on the "Filter" button
Complete the information as to which channel relates to which filter.

If you are not using three different color filters (For R, G, B), then you also need to go under the Color Tab in the stack dialog and decide which colors get which weights.

Give it a try.

Alex

#3 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

Another question - are you controlling the CCD and filter wheel from MaximDL? It uses the filter assignment desigs as a header assign in the FITS header, and you should be able to select one of the auto grouping functions by that. I also recommend to try and right click and select 'stack to individual panes' in the window where you import the groups. Thi9s gives a final for each stack and you can use the amazing combine functions after that - so essentaill use the automatic cal and stack and then manually combine and assign to color layer.

#4 Granville Leong

Granville Leong

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Thanks Alex and Jim.

Alex, So that I understand correctly. I have six filters: L,R,G,B, Ha, and OIII. I'll leave the first four rows as it and change the fifth (Cyan) to Ha, and again change the sixth row (Magenta) to OIII. Am I correct?

Jim, yes, I'm using MaximDL for the capturing process. I'm doing what you described: "keep individual color planes" under the "Stack" tab. But all I got was the error message. Am I missing something? By the way, auto grouping is not a problem. Maxim did group the Ha and OIII files properly under the "Select" tab.

Granville

#5 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

How to stack individual Ha and OIII channel files into these two master channel files in MaximDL? After using the "auto star matching" method for alignment and it went okay. However, when I performed the stack command, it kept giving an error message: Two Color group Group1 is missing required subgroups RG. Any help is appreciated.

Granville

Make sure you don't have your calibration group selected (checked) when stacking. I was getting the same error until I realized MaxIm had helpfully (but incorrectly) checked it for me when auto grouping everything in my images folder.

-- Chris

#6 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

No, that is not right for this part of Maxim.

The two columns are "Channel" and "Filter."
You leave the first column (Channel) as it is.
THe second column (Filter) you fill in to say which filter you want to be assigned to that channel.
My setup for when I am doing LRGB says the following

Channel Filter
Luminance Luminance
Red Red
Green Green
Blue Blue
Cyan Cyan (even though I do not have a Cyan filter)
etc...........

But when I go narrowband, I have to go back into that section and re-write it as follows

Channel Filter
Luminance Luminance (even though I am not using the Luminance)
Red S2
Green Ha
Blue O2
etc...........

If instead I wanted to assign Green to S2, though, it would be:

Luminance Luminance (even though I am not using the Luminance)
Red Ha
Green S2
Blue O2
etc...........

Alex

#7 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

If you want you can stack them in their own layers when both folders are selected go to the top folder left click and select stack separated then proceed with quality,align,color(blank) and stack "select your stack method. Them it will stack separately. Close the stack dialog then color tab and choose "combine color".

anyway to learn more check his video tutorials here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3i-WZ8IPxvc

he explain the filters area too.

#8 Granville Leong

Granville Leong

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Alex, thanks for the detailed description. I got it now.
Chris, thanks.
Jose, thanks for the video link. It's very useful,

Granville

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics