• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldstrgzr

oldstrgzr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi all,
Well, got out last night for first light with my new AT72ED, and I'm a happy camper. It was the clearest, steadiest sky I've seen for a long time, even better than after Sandy swept through and cleaned things up (in the sky, not on the ground, unfortunately). The Q70 26mm I ordered is back ordered, but I have a TV 8-24mm zoom, so used that. Two degrees at 24mm/18x. Couldn't find a dang thing, so I went back in and got my Rigel Quickfinder mounted. Now we're cooking! Had the scope mounted on a light photo tripod with fluid head -- not a good combination. I'll be ordering an Astrotech Voyager mount tomorrow. Things were so shaky, it was worse than hand-held binoculars. Nonetheless, when things finally quieted down, I was happy with the views. Sharp stars, wide-field, what I got it for. Saw a little false color (I think) on Jupiter -- one side looked pinker, the other side bluer. But I didn't expect this to be a planetary scope. Nonetheless, good to say Howdy to the fat boy. All four moons were on one side. Good satisfying looks at the Pleiaides, M 42, M 41, Sigma Ori (split it), Double Cluster, Stock 2. I had to really crank down on the tension knobs on the mount head; that made it hard to move the scope. It also seemed to eventually loosen the mount on the tripod, which scared me. So, since I was just just over a week-long cold, and thought I had gotten chilly long enough, I took it in. One hand carry, by the way. I've had scopes up to 12.5", but this little guy is going to keep me happy in my old age.
Clear Skies to all,
Nicholas

#2 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

I have a WO Megrez 72FD and I'm continually impressed with what a little scope can do.
...Keith

#3 oldstrgzr

oldstrgzr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yes, Keith, I'm discovering the pleasure in a small scope. A small good scope. Keep looking up!
Nicholas

#4 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Congrats; pics of new scope are in order. Thx

#5 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

• Loc: In a galaxy far far away...

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

It is truly a lovely little scope. I pair it with a Manfrotto tripod and head and an Edmunds Scientific Erfle 32mm (or when I don't mind the weight the Nagler 31mm) and I just do some serious cruising for globulars.

Makes for an excellent grab'n go scope! Also an excellent performer with a homemade Baader solar film filter :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics