Photo

Bino That's Better Than Fujinon FMT SX For <$1K?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Urban Observer

Urban Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Now, lately, I've had this crazy idea: To maybe start saving up for "an Alpha Bino" ya know? My only requirement, is that they must surpass the ability (simply have better performance) than the Fujinon 16x70's that I used to own (many years ago). Just buying another pair is not an attractive solution to me, for a few reasons.
I've actually been thinking of...The Nikon Astroluxe XL 18X70 (IF WP). That would take a lot of "saving up" , I know. I wish there was a Bino, that was noticeably better than the Fujinon 16x70's -But- cost right ~ $1000. Does such a bino exist? I wonder.
Well, in any case, I'll have plenty of time to figure it out.

Good Seeing!
-Al

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Better in what ways? Eye relief is a common problem. Not many standard Porro binos are better illuminated or sharper to the field edge.

Why did you let your 16x70s go in the first place? Something must have made them less than indespensible to you then.

Rich

#3 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

In that sort of price range there is the following;

Nikon Premier SE 12x50.
Kunming BA8 22x85, 20x110, 28x110.
William Optics 22x70 (secondhand).
Docter 15x60.

Not sure if there is anything else in the market? Maybe 70-80mm binocular telescope?

#4 Urban Observer

Urban Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Why did you let your 16x70s go in the first place? Something must have made them less than indespensible to you then.

Rich

It was at a time when I took a hiatus from Astronomy for a while. :( Pursued other hobbies, etc. Temporary insanity, would be a good description...

#5 Urban Observer

Urban Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

In that sort of price range there is the following;

Nikon Premier SE 12x50.
Kunming BA8 22x85, 20x110, 28x110.
William Optics 22x70 (secondhand).
Docter 15x60.

Not sure if there is anything else in the market? Maybe 70-80mm binocular telescope?

Thanks, an interesting list :)

#6 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

http://www.optyczne....etek-10x50.html :thinking:

#7 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

http://www.optyczne....etek-10x50.html :thinking:

Stan...

Interesting ranking, and the reviews were good to read (after I turned on the Google Translator). :p

#8 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Stan that is an interesting ranking, I wonder why it is different to this ranking.

allbinos 10x50 ranking

Edit; I think I figured out that one is the link to readers rankings, the other is allbinos own review rankings.
Andy

#9 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Here is a link to an interesting thread with lot's of info and opinions of the Nikon 18x70 as well as other comparable bino's.

CN forum web page

Andy

#10 ronharper

ronharper

Vanguard

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

What better means is personal at this level of quality. Here's my summary of two I've used and one I've considered.

For me, my 15x60 Docter "works better" than the Fujinon I had. It gives my eyes sharper star images, through some unknown combination of smaller exit pupil and optical quality. I find its smaller eyepieces more comfortable, and the center focusing an advantage. It is lighter in weight, and a hair less powerful, so easier for me to handle from a reclining chair. The Docter's field edge is not as sharp, but that is not a big deal to me. Compared to the Fujinon, the missing little bit of aperture is in fact noticed. Neither binocular has great prism coatings unfortunately, even though other models in those same series do, go figure. I got mine for a little over $800 from Telescope Service in Germany.

I haven't seen the 18x70 Nikon. Compared to the 16x70, I can easily believe that its smaller exit pupils and higher magnification would display stars as sharper and go deeper too. It is said to have excellent prism coatings, comfortable eyepieces, and wider apparent field but worse edge sharpness. But for me trying to hold 18x would be definitely "worse". I think the Nikon is well over $1000.

That's all the candidates of similar aperture and power that I know of.
Ron

#11 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

To surpass the Fujinon 16x70, the Nikon 18x70's are your best bet IMHO. They leave a deep impression on me everytime I point them at the heavens. I prefer them to my Tak FS102 for low power widefield deep-sky observing. The image quality is just that gorgeous.

You might be able to find them used for under $ 1000. If not, buy them new while they are still being made. We all know what happened to the Zeiss 15x60 B GAT.

#12 Urban Observer

Urban Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hi Guys!
Just a few things:
I'm really enjoying this Thread! Great stuff, thanks!
And, one of the most memorable moments in visual astronomy for me - Was the first time I used the Fujinon nebula filters screwed onto my 16x70's.
I did a little looking around; at the usual bright DSO's before screwing the (newly received) filters onto the EP's.
...Then - After attaching the filters, I took a look over at M42. And, the view actually took my breath away.
It's been many years since I've been wowed by a view through an optical instrument while stargazing. The only recent thing I can recall, that comes close - would be the view of the Eskimo Nebula on my 8" Apertura Dob & 10mm EP. That was cool. The view of a few other nebulae through that Dob are also very nice. But - I still prefer using binoculars by a wide margin.

I suppose, the best-fitting instrument for me, personally; must be a binocular telescope. Nothing too fancy or large, mind you: A 70mm objective would suit me fine.

In that "department", I've narrowed it down to the Garrett's or the Oberwerk (70mm's). And, the Oberwerk's look a lot more comfortable to me. -End of rambling-

Al

#13 Urban Observer

Urban Observer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

If not, buy them new while they are still being made. We all know what happened to the Zeiss 15x60 B GAT.

Thank you so much, Erik. This is exactly what I've been thinking about! They are probably the next to be discontinued :(
I'm in the process of selling 2 of my most advanced bat detectors, to fund the purchase. Being from the Netherlands, I would venture a guess: that you know a little about bat detectors? Well, here's my Blog:
My bat detector review Blog

Clear skies!
-Al

#14 curiosidad

curiosidad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hello,
TS also seems to have any 70mm binocular telescope, which can be used with eyepieces of 1 1/4 ".., appears on its website this instrument ..
regards

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics