Photo

How Long Will Printed Books Be Available?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

I recently received a notice from Sky Publishing that their Pocket Sky Atlas is being offered in an E-edition that we will be able to read on our mobile communication devices. I see where all this is going. It is just a matter of time when printed material will go away and be replaced by electronic distribution.

I tell all my friends that if they are considering buying a printed book, they should go ahead and purchase it. I am looking at my collection of astronomy books. There are at least 40. I don't want to read or use them via electronic media. These books are among my best friends. I am not anti electronic media. I read a lot of news items on my Android Tablet. Taptu is one of my favorites. However, it is just a matter of time when printed books will go away, and be replaced by some photons. :thumbsdown:

#2 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

While I have a very large collection of Astro books in my Library, I would love to have The Pocket Sky atlas as digital for my iPad!

Edit: I just looked for it, it's only available for the Kindle... Where is the ibooks version?

#3 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Gene;

I disagree. I believe that printed text on paper will be available for many years to come. It may certainly get more expensive, but it will be there for those of us who want to enjoy reading a book.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

#4 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Gene, from what I've been seeing (as an insider, an independently published author) what you fear is not going to happen in the near future. As for expense, I don't think that's going to happen either. Print-on-demand (POD) technology, when properly used, actually makes paper books LESS expensive to produce that used to be the case.

#5 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

While I have a very large collection of Astro books in my Library, I would love to have The Pocket Sky atlas as digital for my iPad!

Edit: I just looked for it, it's only available for the Kindle... Where is the ibooks version?

You could just download the free Kindle app for iPad. I've been meaning to do that myself...

#6 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

As long as people will buy them.

#7 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

I can't afford an iPad or Kindle anytime soon!! I will hold onto my prized astronomy books, until some future generations try to pry them from my cold, dead fingers!!! :shameonyou: :shrug:

#8 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Gene,

I understand your pessimism and certainly the market has changed in the past few years. Still, I don't see printed books going away any time soon for a lot of reasons. To name a few, books don't need a power source, computer screens can't really compete with large format printed atlases and art books, and books make great gifts. I enjoy my Kindle and iPad very much, but I still find myself buying plenty of printed books. From what I've seen here and other places, it looks like plenty of other people also enjoy both printed and electronic media.

#9 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

One of the things I like to do is stand in front of a bookcase and sweep the book spines. I find that pretty hard to do with electronic media. My electronic stuff is forever getting lost--deleted, buried in endless file structures, outdated . . .

I like the old fashioned box:
Box
Of
Organized
Knowledge
:gramps:

#10 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I hope they never go away, I love books, the feel ,the smell, the act of holding one.
Ive got over 450 books and counting, Ill never part with them.
As a child ,my favorite place to be was the library.

#11 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

I can't imagine books completely disappearing. As electronic formats evolve, printed books will long outlast anything saved on computers, kindles, etc. I sometimes wonder if maybe younger folks will eventually "rediscover" printed books.
Marty

#12 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

There will always be a demand for printed books. I have a Kindle but still prefer to hold a book in my hand.

Rich (RLTYS)

#13 ianatcn

ianatcn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

The first astronomy book that I saw was my grandfathers copy of Robert Ball's The Story Of The Sun. My grandfather was not an astronomer but had a sharp and enquiring mind. That book at age 8 had a profound effect on me. The full page coloured plates of flames leaping off the sun stuck in my mind.

I will go out of my way to add printed books to my library and will continue to do so.

I have started buying some of the Cambridge University Press print on demand reprints of rare astronomy books, like the 1st edition of Webbs Celestial Objects. They give me a great working copy to make marginal notes in and hilight in a way I wouldn't dream of doing to my old volumes.

I am also looking into getting a Kindle or similar to have these reference works with me wherever I go. But and it is a big but, when I settle down in the chair of an evening it is always a printed book I have with me.

I hope there will always be a place for them but do share Gene's concerns that like it or not technology will make the printed book more expensive and harder to come by in the future.

#14 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I hope they never go away, I love books, the feel ,the smell, the act of holding one.
Ive got over 450 books and counting, Ill never part with them.
As a child ,my favorite place to be was the library.

Amen to that, brother!!!!

#15 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Agree. Electronic format standard changes over time; often making them obsolete in the long term. And books will outlast a CME or EMP.

#16 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Books will never go away at my house. I have about 2,700 of them. I expect they will keep me busy for a few more years . . .

#17 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Books will never go away at my house. I have about 2,700 of them. I expect they will keep me busy for a few more years . . .

:grin: :lol: :grin:

#18 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Gene;

I disagree. I believe that printed text on paper will be available for many years to come. It may certainly get more expensive, but it will be there for those of us who want to enjoy reading a book. Clear skies; Steve Coe

Believe me, I hope that you are right. Books are my best friends. A few more thoughts--when we read that book sales are now about 3 percent in electronic publishing, that does not seem like too much. However, brick and mortar book stores are on a thin profit margin. They have to pay rent, pay employees, pay shipping and so on. If three percent of book sales comes out of their gross due to electronic media, it makes their business model shaky. I am buying up some printed books just to ensure that I will have them. My personal book collection consists mainly of Bible commentaries, theological works--and of course, astronomy books.

#19 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

There will always be a demand for printed books. I have a Kindle but still prefer to hold a book in my hand.
Rich (RLTYS)

I agree. I would much rather read a printed book than one on my Tablet. I do find it handy when traveling reading some of my favorite news apps on my Tablet. Tablets are designed to present reading materials in a much nicer reading format than found on a lap top or desk top computer.

#20 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Believe me, I hope that you are right. Books are my best friends. A few more thoughts--when we read that book sales are now about 3 percent in electronic publishing, that does not seem like too much. However, brick and mortar book stores are on a thin profit margin. They have to pay rent, pay employees, pay shipping and so on. If three percent of book sales comes out of their gross due to electronic media, it makes their business model shaky. I am buying up some printed books just to ensure that I will have them. My personal book collection consists mainly of Bible commentaries, theological works--and of course, astronomy books.

I was heart broken when my favorite brick and mortar ookstore "Borders" went out of business :bawling:, due to amazon on line sales :foreheadslap:. Now there is only Barnes and Nobles. :question:

#21 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

My favorite brick and mortar bookstore "Borders" went out of business ...

It's their own fault. Borders was a magnificent local bookstore in Ann Arbor that got delusions of grandeur and went national. I lament the passing of local bookstores, but not book supermarkets.

#22 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

I also miss Borders and some of the local used book stores.

Rich (RLTYS)

#23 operascope

operascope

Mariner 2

• Loc: Canada

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

There will always be a demand for printed books, but my bigger fear is the supply chain. Amazon is now market dominant, and has flexed its muscles at small publishers and independent authors to further "corner the market".
Borders is gone, and Barnes and Noble is in deep trouble. If it goes, I fear that Amazon will be able to almost do as it wishes, and one possibility is to try to move all consumers to ebooks, which can have a far greater profit margin.
Print on demand will eventually be more common, and the local bookstore of the future might have a print on demand machine at its location.
Printed books are deeply ingrained in our culture, and any change will be slower than something like vinyl to CD or CD to digital... of course vinyl is still being produced, if only in very small quantities.

#24 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Michigan

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Printed books will always be available. Bottom line: they don't need batteries, power cords, or sunlight recharging. And, I can continue to read while the plane is taking off or landing.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

#25 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

We used to have a Waldons book store in the local mall, Spent tons of money in there, one day I go in and they no longer carry astronomy mags, but they have been replaced with other, shall we say scandolous, mags.That should have been a sign.One year later, more or less, they folded.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics