Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=2840

Worth a look. :cool:

#2 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

A terrific article. Drew does a good job of selling even the most jaded deep-sky observer on the joys of lunar observing.

One question: in the article he extols the benefits of a moon filter, making it sound like an almost essential accessory. How many of you actually use a filter each time you observe the moon? I rarely do anymore these days; I guess I've just adjusted to the moon's brightness and don't find it overpowering, especially at higher magnifications. I'm curious if everyone else uses on, though. I will say they provide a more pleasing view at powers low enough to frame the entire moon in the field of view.

#3 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

I have a variable polarizing filter (VPF) in my kit, and use it on a regular basis when observing the Moon near full. It isn't strictly necessary, but when taking in the Moon as a whole at such times, I find observing with it more comfortable. YMMV

I also use it when using the Moon during later phases as a target for outreach.

#4 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

How many of you actually use a filter each time you observe the moon?

Never and I've been a long time and frequent lunar observer.

The author also states that "... will impair your vision during your viewing session long after you look away from the eyepiece". But, when you look away from the eyepiece you are no longer in a viewing session :question:

#5 operascope

operascope

Mariner 2

• Loc: Canada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Use of a filter depends on aperture, magnification and phase of the moon. I never use a filter with my 6" scope, but it can be quite needed when I use my 12".
It can also make a difference how much ambient light there is where you observe. Sometimes I observe underneath a street light, and since my eyes aren't very dark adapted, the moons brightness doesn't bother me.
Many factors can affect the need or lack of need for a moon filter.

#6 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

I never use a filter for viewing the moon,I simply keep a small 25 watt bulb on in the observatory during the lunar session dark adaptation is useless if the moon is bright, and is not needed.
Be Well
Grey

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics