PHD Guiding and On-Camera Guiding

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

I should have mentioned, USB 3.0 didn't work for me. I had to plug into USB 2.0 port for PHD to work properly. I would also suggest removing hub from the equation. I think you are close to solving your problem. Thx

I will try plugging into the USB 2.0 port. I hope it's not the hub because I don't like the idea of adding 3 more cables to the equation.

Patrick

#27 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

What computer, Operating System and is it 32 or 64 bits? If you have USB 3.0, it sounds like you have a new computer.

Sony Vaio laptop...Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I think I got the computer last spring, 2012, so yes it's fairly new. It runs great.

Patrick

#28 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

I will try plugging into the USB 2.0 port.

I believe that is the problem. I plugged the USB hub into the 2.0 port and now PHD seems to be guiding through the ST-4 port, at least I think so. It's cloudy here so I'm basing that on using manual guiding and reading out the RA/DEC coordinates on the hand controller. The coordinates seem to be changing direction when I switch back and forth in directions, ie North-South, East-West.

I can also run PHD Guiding at the same time that Starry Night Pro Plus 6 is connected to the mount.

Thanks everyone!

Patrick

#29 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

good news. by the way, there can be differences between ascom pulse guiding and ST-4 guiding depending on the mount. for instance, on the gemini-2, the RA ST-4 inputs are serviced by interrupts. the Dec is polled. so short dec pulses on the ST-4 input can be ignored by the G2 if it gets busy.

#30 aberrs

aberrs

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hi Patrick,

If you did, then the only thing I can think of is faulty white ST-4 autoguider cable that came with Lodestar. Not the first time I've heard.

Peter

This EXACT thing happened to me with a lodestar I bought a few weeks ago. The white cable had 1 or two wires that were not connected right, so PHD saw it, and it would start to calibrate, but never calibrate correctly, and the mount would only guide on one axis.

A polite email to my vendor with an image of the cable (once I figured out where the issue was) and a new cable was on the way, which, of course fixed everything....

except for the 2 nights I spent tearing my hair out trying to figure out the problem!

#31 WillCarney

WillCarney

Apollo

• Loc: Bloomington, ILL

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Sometimes I have issues with guiding and my Atlas. I generally have to reinstall ASCOM and guider drivers. Over time they can be damaged. Seems like a few times a year I have a FUBAR-SNAFU with ASCOM and my Vista Home. Also I found that you have to do things a certain way.

I found if I don't do this in sequence the same way each time for some reason I have problems.

Power and align mount as uaual.
Open and bring up Starry Night. Plug in cable and connect. To the mount.
Make sure you talking to your mount through Starry Night.
Open and bring up PHD. Plug in camera to computer and mount.
If it connects then try to guide and get calibration.
If all that works then bring up Maxium or whatever to control you astro camera.

Often if I connect the PHD before Starry Night the PHD will fail. It has to do with ASCOM and Windows assigning ports and conflicting each other. William

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics