• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I finally took the plunge and moved up from my Nexstar 8SE this weekend and purchased a barely used Nexstar 11. I got extremely lucky and thanks to the hand controller not working (a reseat of the cables to the circuitboard cleared it up), I got it for $650. That's including an assortment of eyepieces from 7.5mm to a really nice 40mm.

#2 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Richard, Nice find. The difference from the 8" to the 11" is huge for DSO's IMO. Also, I feel the 11" Fork Mounts are the perfect blend of Aperture, portability and comfort!
Enjoy!

Mike

#3 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Don't be in a hurry to get rid of the 8. At some point the thought of setting up the beast will give you pause where as the 8 won't. You'll be glad you have a smaler scope around. The two compliment each other rather well.

#4 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Don't be in a hurry to get rid of the 8. At some point the thought of setting up the beast will give you pause where as the 8 won't. You'll be glad you have a smaler scope around. The two compliment each other rather well.

That's why I have a 10" dob. :grin: I can carry that outside on the cold nights when Jupiter and the moon are a few degrees apart. No way I was setting my CPC1100 up in -15 windchill.

Jim

#5 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

True enough. I have my Meade LT8 up for sale after getting a C11. But I have yet to take my C11 camping with me, but I used to take my LT8 almost every time because it was easy to carry up into the RV tripod and all!

Can't afford to keep both, but it would be nice to have the smaller scope for portability!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics