• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Space99

Space99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hi guys.....
new to go-to mounts.... the cgemdx is my first.

After the first couple of weeks of trouble free operation (apart that I can't switch on the GPS)
today I got a :
BOOT LOADER
Invalid Pkg: 0008

Now what? Is the mount fried? Was OK yesterday....

Help please

Cheers,
Mick

#2 Space99

Space99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

I think I find it.... have to re-program the HC

Is this normal that a new mount lock-up like that?

Mick

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

There was a problem with some of the NexStar+ hand controllers. This is a known glitch and Celestron has a fix for it in the newer firmware versions. You need to reflash or update the hand controller using the Celestron program called CFM or Celestron Firmware Manager. Just download the program to your computer and the open it up. In the upper LH corner choose the drop down list "Hand Controller" and then choose "Mount Types". Click on "Equitorial (GEM)". The program should then automatically upgrade the firmware. If you don't already have one, you will need a USB to Serial RS232 adapter cable with a driver install CD.

Here is the CFM download;

http://www.celestron...a=viewdownlo...,7

Stan

#4 Space99

Space99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

OK... the CFM did worked Thanks Stan :)

but the GPS still not recognized... I have a SKYSYNC GPS and when I set the Utility-GPS ON/OFF menu to switch it ON, the message is "NO GPS FOUND" ... The LED on the GPS module is on (working).
Any suggestion? May be a faulty GPS unit?

Cheers,
Mick

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

How do you have the SkySync plugged in? The SkySync plugs into the "Hand Controller" port on the mount and then the hand controller plugs into the SkySync. If it doesn't work that way, try plugging the SkySync into the "AUX" port and see if it works that way. If not, then you may have a defective unit.

Stan

#6 Space99

Space99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

well.... I tried every option ... to the AUX port... to the HC port... no gps is the msg after I tried to sw it on.

In desperation I pulled the unit apart... the small PCB has the socket a eprom(?)and a 5V reg... 5V OK the regulator moderately hot... a small SMD LED on the actual GPS pcb is constantly blinking - is this an indication that the unit is trying to lock on? Anyone with experience of fixing GPS module? I have excess to scope smd components etc.

Thanks,
Mick

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics