Post processing freeware software?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for image post-processing software that can handle your basic png, tiff,bmp, jpg like files. Don't yet feel like i want to subject myself to the cost nor learning curve of photoshop...

Al

P.S. Free/shareware preferred. Don't have a lot of time for this, so just want to see what is possible...

#2 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

try GIMP!, it has levels and curves same as photoshop. http://www.gimp.org/ :waytogo:

#3 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

GIMP! And. If you shoot Canon DSLR, try their software Photo digital professional. It has some very nice features like noise reduction

Ed

#4 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

I would not use Gimp since is shreads your photos, cant handle the 16 bit photo yet. I would just use the free Photoshop CS2 and use the numerous tutorials out there on how to process your images.

#5 bob71741

bob71741

Apollo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I have not had problems w/GIMP; not having a stable 16bit solution may be a problem to some, but not to the other 99%.

Better yet is IrfanView for simple imaging tasks; free and found here: http://www.irfanview.com/

#6 daev

daev

Technically Enlightened

• Loc: On the edge of the desert

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

I've never seen GIMP shred a photo. 16bit processing is here for GIMP already, but you need to compile the source code to get it working until the next major release. The interface is very similar to Photoshop, to the point that you can do PS tutorials in GIMP without too much effort. It's an outstanding free editor/processor, but I think it's lacking easily accessible batching abilities.

RawTherapee is a good one as well. Easy to use, if a little unconventional to those of us used to the PS/GIMP interface. It plays well with RAW files, and is fully-functional in 16bit color space with a wide array of useful tools.

Irfanview is the app I missed the most after moving to linux. It's quick, lightweight and has an amazing collection of useful, basic tools and batch functions. If you're running Windows, this one is a must... IMO it's the best all-around image viewer/converter available.

dave

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I don't know if Christian Buil's Iris would be useful, it is basically designed for astronomical image processing. Christian Buil was one of the first amateur astronomers to move to digital, making the switch about 1980.

Iris

Jon

#8 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I would not use Gimp since is shreads your photos, cant handle the 16 bit photo yet. I would just use the free Photoshop CS2 and use the numerous tutorials out there on how to process your images.

Cloudy Nights doesn't endorse the "Free" CS2 download, because its not really intended for general download. Unless you're a previous purchaser, downloading that application is technically a copyright violation.

Also, I don't know what GIMP "shedding" your photos means. It makes no changes to the original, and it has a zillion layers of undo if you mess something up.

#9 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Whether Cloudy Nights endorses it or not, it's out there, and is far better than something like Gimp. Adobe has _released the Key Code_ for this product, so I rather doubt they have any trouble with _anybody_ downloading it, and doubt they will come after you for "piracy," matey. ;)

#10 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

I'm pretty confident Adobe isn't going to be going after anybody for this, but Cloudy Nights is not going to be hosting discussions about it or allowing links to it.

Here's the official Adobe position on the matter:

http://blogs.adobe.c...robat-7-acti...

Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. ...

The serial numbers provided as a part of the download may only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.

Promoting those downloads on Cloudy Nights and linking to the site for individuals who are not actual owners of the products is considered a TOS violation.

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Promoting those downloads on Cloudy Nights and linking to the site for individuals who are not actual owners of the products is considered a TOS violation.

I DIDN'T PROMOTE ANYTHING. I simply stated the "what is." SHEESH! :flame:

If Gimp is your favorite program, by all means have at it. ;)

#12 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

When you mention something that is out there you leave an implied promotion if not an explicit one and there in is the rub.

Not free but you can get reasonable prices on Amazon; Adobe Photoshop Elements. 90%+ functionality of the full bore Photoshop and you at a current version which is always nice. Especially if you have a newer camera; they don't seem to add RAW support for newer cameras in the old versions. Certainly for unsupported older versions.

#13 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I use both Gimp and PS and they both have a special place in my tool box. Another good one is Iris, which does everything from stacking to wavelets and lots in between!

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics