•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6" Aluminum Pier for CPC1100

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 barbarosa

barbarosa

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 37°50'N

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Is this 6”D, .25” wall, 10” flange, aluminum pier at all suitable, for a CPC1100? The 1100 (mount+OTA+stuff) weighs >65lbs. I expect at some point to add a wedge.

Right now, it is mostly visual and video (17-second max exposure) but I am looking at Mallincams too.

The same vendor also sells these locally on CL and says he can supply adapter plates if needed. I have one that might fit, but my basic concern is the tube itself.

#2 opticsguy

opticsguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Certainly a solid pier, depends on how you attach to your concrete pad or base. You can also fill the tube with sand to give it a lot of mass and no vibration. Is the bottom plate solid to hold any sand?

You might also consider making your own to your specs. Locate a local pipe supplier and spec out the dimensions YOU need. Also price out steel versus Aluminum. I would personally go with a slightly larger diameter base plate. Most steel and pipe suppliers also offer some fabrication and welding services.

#3 tadpoletoo

tadpoletoo

Vostok 1

• Loc: NW Michigan

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

hi, Is the tubing round or square? Before you buy you may want to check the junkyard. I bought a column from a bowling alley at the junk yard, 10ft long 1/4 in thick steel wall with a half in thick plate welded on one end for scrap price. Bury it 4ft and put a few bags of concrete in the hole and it is very stable.i did not fill mine with sand, but i did drill a hole in it to let the air out when i set it in concrete.
I am trying to find out if the hole spacing on the Meade super wedge will work with the 14 in. lx200 . Apparently Meade says it only works to 12in, just wondering why? if you send me a pm i will send some pics.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics