1/21/13 Observing Moon/Jupiter/etc w/ binos

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

1/21/2013 8:30-10PM Obsering from home in below freezing weather. Sky partly cloudy

I noticed Jupiter very close to the moon so I observed with binos (would have also observed with my 1.5" dob but my wife had the bottom 3rd of that scope in her SUV).

25x100 3.5deg TFOV Appogee binos on camera tripod:
*Moon & Jupiter/moons in same FOV near zenith - required me sitting on my butt on snow/cement and my neck at it's limit very uncomfortable. Able to see both in same FOV but hard to merge object eyes with eyes not exactly being able to look straight through eyepieces due to near zenith angle. Hence not the vest view I've seen though these binos.
*M42 and sword stars - binos frozen and not able to get IPD correct so seeing slight double image. Not the best I've seen in these binos. After observing I brought the binos inside and was able to change IPD when not so cold.
*Did not look at M45 since also near zenith

15x63 3.7 deg TFOV Orion Mini-Giants on Garret Monopod w/ Zhumel adapter:
*Moon/Jupiter/3moons(one on one side, and two on the other) - Tied best view of evening! Looked Great lots of detail on moon. Jupiter as orb.
*M45 - looks great. 1st to find w/o looking.
*C41 Hyades - had to pan to see it all
*Col70 Orions belt & S
*M42 & Orions Sword - tied best view of evening. looked great.

9x63 3.7 deg TFOV Orion Mini-Giants on Garret Monopod w/ Garrett adapter:
*Moon/Jupiter/3moons(one on one side, and two on the other)/Part of C41 - 2nd best view of evening! Looked Great. Jupiter as orb.
*M45 - looks great.
*C41 Hyades - looked great.
*Col70 Orions belt & S
*M42 & Orions Sword - looked great.

10x50SW 8.5 deg TFOV Vixen handheld (since garret adapter came undone at base of Garret Monopod, but did not drop because holding strap in expectation of this from past):
*Moon/Jupiter/3moons(one on one side, and two on the other)/All of C41 Hyades in same view - Tied best view of evening! Great wide view. Jupiter as orb.
*M45/Jupiter/Moon all in same view - looks great.
*Col70 Orions belt & S
*M42 & Orions Sword - looked great.

7x32UW 14.0 deg TFOV Orion handheld:
*Moon/Jupiter/2+moons(one on one side, and one-two on the other)/All of C41 Hyades in same view but dim against the bright moon glow - Nice wide view. Jupiter as orb?
*M45/Jupiter/Moon all in same view - looked good but M45 not so bright with moon glow background.
*Col70 Orions belt & S/M42 & Orions Sword - Nice wide view looked good.

2.3x40 28.0 deg TFOV Blue Planet Optics Operaglasses Unfiltered handheld:
*Moon/Jupiter/moons/M45/C41 Hyades all in same view (but C41 not noticeable against the bright moon glow). Nice wide view. Puts everything in perspective like star charts.
*Col70 Orions belt & S/M42 & Orions Sword/Bottom Half of Orion Hourglass - Nice wide view looked good - looked like skycharts. M42 small at 2.3x.

Ken A.

#2 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Ken...

Thank you for this excellent comparison.

#3 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

I just came in from viewing much of the same with my Nikon 10x70. Rather cold and windy here in the Southeast tonight, but the views were excellent. Very much worth the effort.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics