Photo

Shaping metal without milling or using lathe???

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Running Springs, California

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

OMG OSHA is going to have a cow. Someone put a through hole in end my pneumatic 5C closer right over the WARNING lable.

Posted Image

#77 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

We are getting away from the op's title, but this is interesting.

Why did you go pneumatic, instead of the usual lever arm collet closer? Maximum speed for production?

Related (?): I there now any speedy way to make tool changes on a Bridgeport type vertical milling machine, without climbing onto a stepstool, R&R the drawbar threads, ..., without spending the $$$$ which I recall were required the last time I looked ? Pneumatics?

#78 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Gordon ???????

#79 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Why did you go pneumatic, instead of the usual lever arm collet closer? Maximum speed for production?

I posted the pneumatic closer because of the posts about OSHA on this thread. Royal didn’t sell the pneumatic closer with a through hole because they claimed OSHA safety requirements. That is strange because the lever closer that the pneumatic closer replaced had a through hole. What was Royal thinking? Anyhow I found out before the pneumatic closer was purchased that a through hole was easily made in the back plate. The reasons I went to the pneumatic over the lever were 1) it was easier to remove the pneumatic closer by using air quick disconnects and just pulling it out from the rear. Royal supplied a D1-4 nose which holds the 5C collets which eliminated have to knock the Morse 5 to 5C adapter out when mounting other D1-4 chucks. 2) I was able to repeatedly vary the pulling force on the 5C collet of the pneumatic closer by simply adjusting the differential pressure valve controlling the dual-action pneumatic closer actuator. This was an important feature for holding thin walled parts without distorting the part. 3) The pneumatic closer has less vibration than the lever closer it replaced.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related (?): Is there now any speedy way to make tool changes on a Bridgeport type vertical milling machine, without climbing onto a stepstool, R&R the drawbar threads, ..., without spending the $$$$ which I recall were required the last time I looked ? Pneumatics?

I have both a Tormach CNC mill and a Rockwell vertical manual mill. http://www.lathes.co...ockwellmillers/ Both have R8 spindles. I use the Tormach TTS tooling system http://www.tormach.c...oduct_tts2.html that works extremely well on both. On the Tormach CNC mill I installed a beta version of the Tormach pneumatic power draw bar (PDB) to quickly change tools. http://www.tormach.c...er_drawbar.html For me the PDB does 90% of what an automatic tool changer (ATC) does for my prototype and limited production work. The PDB was one of my best investments allowing me to change the way I do CNC work. The manual draw bar is time consuming when changing tools so in the past I programmed my CNC work so that all parts in a run would be machined then the tool changed. With the PDB and footswitch I can easily and quickly change tools. Now I program a CNC run to use many tool changes and then change the part.

Don Clement

#80 whirlpoolm51

whirlpoolm51

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: pittsburgh,pa

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

I got my lathe today!!!! and what a wonderful tool might i say!! I also purchased a milling attatchment for it so now i have a 2 in 1 machine!!! lathe and milling machine!! thats my set up for now until i get the sherline 4000 mill

I also hinted to the wife when we were at harbor freight about the large horizontal/vertical metal cutting bandsaw!!! only 250 for the 4" x 6" model!!! the 1 hp 7x12" hydrolic feeed one sitting right next to it is mighty tempting thought but the price isnt!!! hahaha

#81 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

do they make bimetal blades that fit the 4x6, I know the 7x12 will take the .035 thk bimetal blade.

#82 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

do they make bimetal blades that fit the 4x6, I know the 7x12 will take the .035 thk bimetal blade.

I use a Starrett 14-18tpi bi-metal blade cat no 99188-05-04-1/2 on my 4x6 bandsaw.
http://www.ebay.com/...Saw-Blade-/1... 14-18 pitch is too fine for Aluminum. Works really well on SS though.

Don Clement

#83 Dick Jacobson

Dick Jacobson

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Plymouth, Minnesota, USA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

I also hinted to the wife when we were at harbor freight about the large horizontal/vertical metal cutting bandsaw!!! only 250 for the 4" x 6" model!!! the 1 hp 7x12" hydrolic feeed one sitting right next to it is mighty tempting thought but the price isnt!!! hahaha

The 4x6 bandsaw is a great tool at a reasonable price, I've owned one for at least 10 years and use it constantly. More recently I purchased a 7x12 but have had a lot of trouble with it breaking blades (see earlier in this topic).

#84 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

I use a Starrett 14-18tpi bi-metal blade cat no 99188-05-04-1/2 on my 4x6 bandsaw.
http://www.ebay.com/...Saw-Blade-/1... 14-18 pitch is too fine for Aluminum. Works really well on SS though.

Don Clement

gracias

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics