• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DuiA1

DuiA1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

I am considering using my LX90 field tripod for my lx80 mount which is due back from Meade tomorrow. I am building an adapter and thinking of using an 8"x8" hollow structural steel section about 8" long. Drill a half inch hole through the bottom section which will allow the 1/2"-13 lx90 rod to come through and secure it with a 1/2" nut and washer. Then drill 3 holes on the top section to secure the LX80 mount. Will this work in your opinion? Stiff enough? Any other thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 Axle

Axle

Explorer 1

• Loc: Lake Powell

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I am not familiar with the LX90 tripod, but I do think that the LX80 mount unit would be easily adaptable to other tripods using an adaptor interface assembly.

I would have the same concern as you regarding if the 8" adaptor was not stiff enough and increased vibration between the tripod and head unit. How thick are the walls of the hollow steel section?

Note that if you re-use the OEM LX80 tripod spreader rod the threads are metric.

The part of your assembly which may have a problem , I think, would be the bottom attachment point where you are saying you are going to secure it with only the 1/2" rod and nut. It might need more than this.

#3 DuiA1

DuiA1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Walls are 1/4 inch. I may reuse the existing lx80 bolts..not sure if they are metric. Can anyone confirm? I will not be using the spreader hub. I believe a 5/8" hole will allow the 1/2"-13 rod to fit through the bottom section of the 8"x8" section.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics