nomosnow

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

Vic 20 and interface hardware :foreheadslap: 5 k memory :grin:

Wow. Amazing 80's technology.
Amazing project.
I wonder, in this digital age, when the last time someone went to "retrieve the film".
Are you still using this observatory?

Cheers
Jim

edit.
Then I read your earlier posts and see you're still using film.

Thanks Jim
Unfortunately the small domed observatory is not in use today and also I have fully converted to ccd imaging as well.
So I use a scope buggy and usually image from the comfort of my kitchen table.
However the large observatory is the Sunridge observatory which belongs to the Medicine Hat astronomy club and is a going concern today.
Link to the club's site here.
http://nonprofit.memlane.com/astro/

John L

#377 UncleMossy

UncleMossy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Downtown Toronto

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:45 AM

Thanks for the link John.
I've been through Medicine Hat a few times and that would be a great place for an observatory.
Big, dry, clear skies around there.

I see from your astrobin that you also get some pretty good skies in Fort Saskatchewan.
Your nights must be pretty short at this time of year though, but you'll sure get that back in the winter.
Getting that solar scope must have changed everything for your summer observing.

I envy you your northern lights.

Cheers
Jim

#378 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Now for something completely different...... Back in 1982 ! designed my own " goto mount" Actually the project was designed to look for novae by blink comparison...

Awesome, nomosnow! Did you find any novae with your system? Old Clyde Tombaugh would probably be happen to put you setup to the test.

Mel

#379 nomosnow

nomosnow

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Hi Mel
No I didn't discover anything special. But the blinking really worked well. I was swamped with blinking asteroids. So with the help of Brian Marsden who sent me (free of charge) a book which had the orbital elements of the major asteroids I was able to (usually) plot the the position of a suspected blinker and confirm that it was indeed an asteroid. I used a basic computer program I typed in from Sky and Tel magazine to compute asteroid positions for the particular date and time of the picture.
Long period variables and periodic comets were picked up as well.
It was a fun project but in the end I was swamped with images to blink and ran out of steam. :foreheadslap: :foreheadslap:
John

#380 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hi John,

The story was going great until you mentioned that you ran out of steam. Nevertheless, I can truly understand. Tedious work like that must be rough on the eyes, let alone your patience. But, in many respects, I believe you must have found great fulfillment in finding objects like asteroids that in most cases would been overlooked. And you association with the late great Brian Marsden must have been a grand privilege.

I checked out the link to you images was quite impressed! I love the images of the sun in H-alpha through your Lunt! :bow: :bow: :bow: It is my desire to get one of these scopes as well. The DSO images are awesome too! To avoid getting to far off from the main subject of this thread, I would love to receive a PM from you regarding Lunt recommendations.

Thanks, Mel

#381 nomosnow

nomosnow

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hi Mel
PM sent
John

#382 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nádasdladány

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

Posted Image

My home made 155/1110 Newtonian, with the first (and sofar only) mirror I've ever made (98.6% strehl value). With helical focuser, square 1x finder, vinyl record azimuthal bearing, tube made of rotated wooden squares. The alt axis is represented by the cores of the spiral galaxies on both sides of the scope. Here's a brief video about it perhaps with more visual details, although it's in Hungarian: http://youtu.be/knvW9yWSaxQ?t=6m29s

#383 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

Here is my 17inch f9 Wide Band Chief

Attached Files

#384 DonnyM

DonnyM

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spirit Lake, Idaho

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Here is my DIY 18" Dob. It started life as a 18" Sky Designs. I saved the Primary and secondary and tossed the rest.
I created a 18" floating point mirror cell all in Aluminum. I used a 24" dia Aluminum bearing for the AZ. The Alt is a set of half rings of 3/4" thick Baltic Birch made on my CNC router that I built, and some brass I turned on my lathe.
I made the spider out of thin Aluminum and had a Novac Secondary holder. I added a 10:1 Moonlite focuser and a telrad.
The Alt ,truss polls, cell, and upper ota with telrad and focuser weigh 32lbs. The Alt weighs 8lbs and the mirror weighs 29.4lbs. I added 3 9lb counter weights that go between the Alt bearings out of 1 1/2" chromolly I had laying around. It takes just a couple minutes to set it up and it hold collimation very well from set up to set up.

Donny

Attached Files

#385 DonnyM

DonnyM

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spirit Lake, Idaho

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Here is another one. It started life as a Camera Lens in a airplane. Then it made its way to Surplus Shed. I bought it and put it to good use.
I made a mount for it with a Dovetail for a red dot. I added stops to it so you could lock the focus and zoom. I also added a Aluminum helical focuser that I modified to work. It can use 2" eye pieces or my Sony or Canon DSLR's.
It is a 6.1" triplet with a negative doublet and two more lenses to shorten the length. At full wide it is f0.5 and at full zoom its f1.2. And yes that is a 6.1" dia objective. It weighs 18.8 lbs. Allot of high quality glass.

Donny

Attached Files

#386 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

here's a travel dob almost finished roughing out. love the front collimation bolts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#387 cpr1

cpr1

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

Very cool Danny I like it. Couple questions? What focuser are you using and Do you have a more detailed shot of your mirror cell?

#388 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

A kineoptic 1. This is the scope in my warehouse 8in for bicycle. I'm not finished on the cell. But the plan is to glue a ball bearing to the ply the chamfer the pivot hole in the teeter totter. And use guide pins under the supports to keep the bars from spinning. Its a strock float support idea.
The mirror sits on the trianglr cell which pushes way from the rocker plate, via springs, and the thumd screws draw it up. Side support is still being debated in my head, I just hate when the voices start yelling at each other. :lol:

#389 UncleMossy

UncleMossy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Downtown Toronto

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Here is my 17inch f9 Wide Band Chief

Very nice.
Every Chief I see intrigues me.
The design seems to have a lot on the upside with no obstruction and a more convenient eyepiece height but what, if any, are the downsides?
Is it that the angled light path needs correcting?
Just curious.

Cheers
Jim

#390 Eden Orion

Eden Orion

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Qoranit, Israel

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

Just finished another telescope.
It is based on an objective that was recommended here some months ago. a 80 mm f/11 achromatic lens from Surplus Shed.
Since I'm lecturing a lot in front of children about the history of the telescope, I decided to build it with an open tube.
It is made from 19-20 mm Baltic birch plywood .
The design was done with Sketchup.

Pictures of the process can be seen here:

http://picasaweb.goo...Refractor?au...

The scope functions very good at night (beautiful contrast on full moon) and with 45 prism also as a spotting scope.

Eden

Attached Files

• Chassetter likes this

#391 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Kevin,

when are we going to see the 24" scope? why isn't it done yet? :lol:

#392 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

Here is my 5" f15 D & G refractor finally ready for first light. The tube is 3mm marine ply similar to my earlier projects. I've adapted the mount from the 5" f12 Istar temporarily.

For this D & G I have used a 2.5" Feather Touch focuser.

Attached Files

#393 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

First light was brief due to the weather but I'm pleased with the view of Saturn and a quick look at the Jewel Box and Omega Centauri. Excellent contrast and minimal CA.

Attached Files

#394 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

This picture shows how the tube is constructed. This time I cut out the corners of the baffles to allow for air circulation outside the light path as described by Jeff B. :)

Attached Files

#395 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

That's a great idea, Andy! (and Jeff B)!

-Tim.

#396 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Here is another picture from today. The tube rings (octagons!) are 3/4 inch ply made over the last couple of days. The mount is a home made alt/az on a permanent pier that I normally use with my 6" D & G.

Attached Files

• Chassetter likes this

#397 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

My 4" F-15 Jaegers lens.. Nothing too out of the ordinary.
I made the lens cell, end cell, finder (old Edmund lens) and baffles. Lens is superb, really one of my favorites.

Looks familiar. Do you remember a scope you built for a 5" f/12 D&G lens with a brass focuser? You sold it some 10 years ago. Very sharp planet scope. I have a set of ZAO IIs that work very well with it.

#398 timfiskwa

timfiskwa

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Richardson, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Here is my Meade DS-10 mated with a Discovery Altitude bearings and home made swivel base with LP record and Teflon action. Very basic design. It has served me well. I get good views of what can be seen in the Dallas light dome.IMG_0157.JPG

#399 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

:shocked:Wow!! What more can a person say.

#400 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

:shocked:Wow!! What more can a person say.

:john:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics