Meade super wedge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tadpoletoo

tadpoletoo

Vostok 1

• Loc: NW Michigan

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hello from the land of cold and snow. Not that i will be in the observatory anytime soon, i am thinking of a wedge for my 14 in lx 200gps. Meade says to use it with a 12 in. on a tripod. i have a homemade pier with 1/4 plate on top that i can drill any configuration of holes required. Any reason i can't use this product? one listed here on CN now, or should i make my own? I am at 44.38N close enough to 45deg. maybe a shim or two? Any comments ? Thanks in advance

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Folks farther South seem to have lots of problems with that wedge. I used to use a 14" LX200GPS on a Superwedge at 41 degrees N and it worked fine. Meade offered a slightly beefed-up version for use with the 14" model (don't remember what it was called) but I already had the Superwedge so I set that up and used it for years.

#3 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

I bought one of the 14" models for use with my old 1965 C10 and only difference from standard was an additional adapter plate to bolt onto the tilt plate to move the drive base higher and maybe add a bit of stiffness.

Dave

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics