• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

While setting up the 102mm refractor between 1800-1830 ST, the pair were easy to spot naked eye to the south. My first sketch of the event was at 1904 ST (0104UT) and Jupiter was 1 degree away from the Moon. Please note that the Moon and star placements in the sketch are slightly larger than the eyepiece view. I only discovered my error when it came time to plot the stars furthest away from Jupiter and Moon. I ended up having to plot them appropriately outside of the field circle as a result. Nearly half hour later at 2017UT, there was a 0.73 degree separation. I plotted the Moon and Jupiter’s positions and again found that I didn’t leave enough room in the field circle to include all of the stars that were in my field of view. :crazy: Third time is a charm, though, and somehow I managed include the entire star field (with the exception of one star) within the circle. By the time I completed the final sketch, the pair was at a separation of 0.67 degree.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Nice sketches Erika :waytogo:
I would have checked it out but had clouds..

#3 Centaur

Centaur

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

That’s really nice work, Erika; thanks for sharing.

Apparently we aren’t getting any reports from South America where Jupiter was occulted by the Moon. I’m remiss too, since it was 0° F in Chicagoland and I stayed indoors.

There will be another Jupiter occultation for folks down under next month. That will be the last of a monthly series that began in June. Nevertheless, the parade of 2013 southern hemisphere occultations continues.

Here are what I've determined are the upcoming significant lunar occultations (UT dates for the mid-points).

2013 JAN 23 – Zeta Tauri – Region surrounding Indian Ocean
2013 FEB 02 – Spica – Southern Africa & Madagascar
2013 FEB 03 – Alpha Librae – Southeastern Australia & Southern New Zealand
2013 FEB 04 – Beta Scorpii – Malaysia, Indonesia & Australia

I’ve created a new webpage specifically for occultations. Currently it contains graze maps, Besselian elements, preview graphics and data for the above listed occultations.

The charts can be seen by clicking: www.CurtRenz.com/occultations

Others that will be added in the near future are:

2013 FEB 18 – Jupiter – Southern Australia
2013 FEB 20 – Zeta Tauri – South America

The next occultation of any significance for North Americans will be that of Beta Scorpii during the early evening of 2013 May 24 (UT date 25). Unfortunately that will be by the brightest Full Moon of the year, despite it entering a truly insignificant penumbral eclipse shortly after the occultation. The evening portion of the occultation will be only for observers in the eastern half of the USA, Mexico, Central America, northern South America, the Caribbean and a tiny portion of Canada. The path will then swing across the Atlantic for an early morning visit with western Africa.

North Americans will be in the zone of occultation for the minor planets 134340 Pluto and 5 Astraea on 2013 APR 30 and 2013 MAY 01. But those events would be mainly of academic interest since they will be tough to observe, especially in the case of dim Pluto.

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Erika,

:bow:

#5 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Thanks gentlemen. :) You all have certainly had some nasty weather. Michael, that was a really good photo you took of the pair! Curt, as always, thank you for the great information. It's very helpful and appreciated.

#6 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

What cool drawings! :D

#7 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

Most impressive. Thanks for the views. :cool: Unfortunetly it was cloudy and snowing here.

Rich (RLTYS)

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thanks, Erika--it was just a snapshot. On the other hand, I know your three sketches in a row took immense effort. But I'll bet you were in the zone the whole time. :cool:

#9 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Erika,

Great sketches of the Jupiter - Moon conjunction.

Thanks for posting. Dean

#10 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks guys. It was a really fun session.

#11 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hi Erika,

Really nice sketches, thanks for posting them. I didn't get a chance to observe it but your sketches give me an idea of how it looked.

How do you like living in Texas? I attended TSP one time some years ago.

Best,

Eric Jamison

#12 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Thanks, Eric. Sorry you missed the event.

I'm really loving TX and have been able to get in a lot more observing here than in Ohio. I'm planning on going to the TSP this year and am waiting to hear back from them concerning the lottery. Really excited about the prospect of going!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics