Photo

Can't see Veil Nebula in Stellarium?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

How come you can't see the Veil Nebula when using Stellarium? I want to use my ocular plugin for field sizes on the Veil.

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

How come you can't see the Veil Nebula when using Stellarium? I want to use my ocular plugin for field sizes on the Veil.

You may have to add in a lot of deep-sky objects into Stellarium via the add-on catalogs that may be available for it. That should make it show up, at least symbolically. Personally, I feel Stellarium to be basically "eye candy" rather than a more serious computerized atlas like THE SKY or MEGASTAR. Clear skies to you.

#3 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Well, Stellarium is a bit more than just "eye candy" because I can use the oculars plugin to see how big objects are enabling me to "frame" targets in any given eyepiece. I'd just like to know how I can see The Veil and maybe a few more.

#4 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

190 views and nobody knows????

#5 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Stellarium does not support the import of additional images by the user.

A complete replacement image file including the Veil Nebula is still available, but it is for older versions of Stellarium:

http://www.stellariu...p/Nebula_images

I wouldn't mess with it.

#6 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hi Marcus,

Your 10" F/4.7" doesn't go wide enough to see the entire Veil Nebula, all in one field of view. That would be the entire Eastern Veil and Western Veil. You can Google "Veil Nebula" and find what your looking for that way, but the information Ive read says the entire Veil is 3 degree's across. From my own personal Observations, you need more like 3.5 degrees to 4 degrees of actual field of view to appreciate the entire veil in one view, and your scope, even with a 41 Panoptic, will only give you 2.4 degs actual field of view. In order to see the entire object, you'd have to move your scope around to catch the entire object in segments.

You can contact the developers of the software if you would like to ask them any questions or request them to add features.

I can capture the entire veil in my 6" F/5 Celestron Refractor in one field of view with my 41 Pan, its an incredible view that way.

I use Stellarium. I like it, but its free software so you get what you pay for. Still. Its the best one I have found so far, at any price.

I'm also working on the Herschel 400, not for any type of award, but just to do it. I'm using my 6" F/5 Celestron Omni 150R for that without any GoTo mount. Just because its fun!!

...Good luck!!

...Ralph

#7 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

this might help!!

http://stargazerslou...and-small-bo...

...Good luck, I'm trying it for our new comets!

...Ralph

#8 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

There are other popular DSOs without images as well including the North America Nebula and the Crescent Nebula, IIRC off the top of my head. I like ocular mode as well but lately have been using SSP a lot and just setting the FOV circles. Not the same but will have to do until they implement an ocular mode proper.

#9 John K

John K

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vernon BC Canada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

M31 will give you a useful object to evaluate eyepiece fields with as well as the Rosette Neb and M81/82.
Good Luck.

#10 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hi Marcus,

Your 10" F/4.7" doesn't go wide enough to see the entire Veil Nebula, all in one field of view. That would be the entire Eastern Veil and Western Veil. You can Google "Veil Nebula" and find what your looking for that way, but the information Ive read says the entire Veil is 3 degree's across. From my own personal Observations, you need more like 3.5 degrees to 4 degrees of actual field of view to appreciate the entire veil in one view, and your scope, even with a 41 Panoptic, will only give you 2.4 degs actual field of view. In order to see the entire object, you'd have to move your scope around to catch the entire object in segments.

Hi Ralph,

I am very aware that I can't see the entire Veil in one eyepiece. I have looked at both halves several times in different eyepieces using O-III and Ultrablock filters. The only reason I wanted the plugin for Stellarium is to see how much of each half I can see with my 34mm ES 68 and my 22mm Vixen LVW. I know I will see a lot more in the 34mm ES, and I just wanted to know how much of each half I could fit into the 22mm LVW because I might get rid of my 34mm ES and keep the 22mm LVW, which will leave me down to four 1.25" eyepieces and an O-III filter as well.

There are other popular DSOs without images as well including the North America Nebula and the Crescent Nebula, IIRC off the top of my head. I like ocular mode as well but lately have been using SSP a lot and just setting the FOV circles. Not the same but will have to do until they implement an ocular mode proper.

Hi Syed, What is SSP?

PS: I got a PM from a member on here showing me how to input missing nebulae on Stellarium. Thanks Stephen! :waytogo:

Cheers,

#11 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hi Marcus, In another forum, one of the guys said he did the following to get the nebulas to show up. I'll give it a try tonight:

All works here (version 0.11.0).. fantastic. I had to re-click the Nebulae tick box in the Sky and Viewing Options but all working both old and new nebulae

it sounds too easy but we'll see!!

...Ralph

#12 John K

John K

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vernon BC Canada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

I have Stellarium 11.4 64bit and I cant change between eyepieces is there something wrong with the 64bit ed?

#13 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Are you using the on-screen control panel? Or are you trying to use Alt+O?

The shortcut Alt+O doesn't work for me. So, I always use the on-screen control panel which is enabled under the general tab/interface in the oculars plugin configuration.

#14 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Hi Marcus,

Hi Ralph,

I am very aware that I can't see the entire Veil in one eyepiece. I have looked at both halves several times in different eyepieces using O-III and Ultrablock filters. The only reason I wanted the plugin for Stellarium is to see how much of each half I can see with my 34mm ES 68 and my 22mm Vixen LVW. I know I will see a lot more in the 34mm ES, and I just wanted to know how much of each half I could fit into the 22mm LVW because I might get rid of my 34mm ES and keep the 22mm LVW, which will leave me down to four 1.25" eyepieces and an O-III filter as well.

Hi Syed, What is SSP?

PS: I got a PM from a member on here showing me how to input missing nebulae on Stellarium. Thanks Stephen! :waytogo:

Cheers,

Markus, SSP = SkySafari Pro

#15 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Hi Marcus, In another forum, one of the guys said he did the following to get the nebulas to show up. I'll give it a try tonight:

All works here (version 0.11.0).. fantastic. I had to re-click the Nebulae tick box in the Sky and Viewing Options but all working both old and new nebulae

it sounds too easy but we'll see!!

...Ralph

Ralph,

Mine is already checked in the box, but THE VEIL does not show up. I got a PM from a member showing me how to input the data in order to see the outline size of The Veil, but the steps are insane and I am not up to the task. :( Even if you punch up "Veil Nebula" in Stellarium, the blinking box goes to where it is and the outline of both halves are not there. I am using version 11.4, the newest one.

http://www.stellariu..._Nebulae_Images

Cheers,

#16 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

The Veil Nebula is in the next release. I am using/testing the 0.12.0 Release Candidate 3.

I was wondering if you might find the "Adding Nebulae Images" procedure a bit tedious.

#17 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

The Veil Nebula is in the next release. I am using/testing the 0.12.0 Release Candidate 3.

I was wondering if you might find the "Adding Nebulae Images" procedure a bit tedious.

--------------------
Todd

Todd,

That is excellent! I just downloaded the version you noted and the Veil is right there! Thanks for that! Now I can see what both halves look like using my 22mm Vixen LVW and I have a 2" Lumicon O-III on the way! :yay:

FYI, I never went through ANY of those steps in trying to add The Veil to stellarium. I took one lok at the steps, rolled my eyes and waited for more replies, to which yours was just right! Thanks again Todd! :whee:

A special thanks goes out to you and SteffSaber for the much needed help however! :waytogo:

Cheers,

#18 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

If you encounter any bugs, do report them. IIRC, a stable release of 0.12.0 was originally scheduled for mid-January. My use and tests of Stellarium are very limited.

I'm happy to have been helpful.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics