Nikon DSLR is having a new image sensor supplier

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#1 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

http://www.chipworks...he-nikon-d52...

For its main stream DSLRs, SONY CCD --> (rumored) Renesas CMOS --> SONY CMOS ----- now Toshiba CMOS. E.g., "Toshiba 5105" used in D5200.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#2 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Just the D5200 has this new Toshiba.
But it does look like Toshiba is trying to get into the image sensor business....
Guess that puts a hold on getting a D5200 as a backup crop and video rig until I see some data on the performance of this sensor...

If you look at the same site under "recent teardowns", you can see the D600 which DOES use the 24Mp SONY CMOS! the same one that is used in the new Sony A99, RX1, etc..
Brilliant 'little' sensor ;)

Cheers

#3 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Viking 1

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

The D5100/D7000 also uses a Sony CMOS sensor which, in benchmark tests, blew the barn doors off of the 5DMkII

#4 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

The Olympus OMD EM-5 uses an m4/3s variation of the Sony sensor and the Panasonic GH3 is rumored to use that sensor as well.

#5 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

The D5100/D7000 also uses a Sony CMOS sensor which, in benchmark tests, blew the barn doors off of the 5DMkII

I totally agree.

I have both the D5100 and D7000 and a 10 minute dark frame at 20 Celsius shows next to no noise at all. Their sensors are freak'in awesome!

Guylain

#6 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Per http://www.chipworks...e-dslr-camer... from Chipworks,

D3 & D700 (FX), D3S (FX), D3100 (DX), D3200 (DX), D4 (FX) use sensors designed by Nikon and fabricated by Renesas.

D2X (DX - IMX007), D90 & D5000 (DX - IMX038), D7000 & D5100 (DX - IMX071), D800 (FX - IMX094), D600 (FX - IMX128) use SONY CMOS image sensors.

D5200 (DX) uses Toshiba TCM5105 CMOS image sensor.

The first link is part I of the article.
Part II: http://www.chipworks...e-dslr-camer...

Part III:
http://www.chipworks...e-dslr-camer...

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#7 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

I totally agree.

I have both the D5100 and D7000 and a 10 minute dark frame at 20 Celsius shows next to no noise at all. Their sensors are freak'in awesome!

Guylain

And yet people seem to still think Canon's the holy grail in terms of AP...

If people truly gave Nikon a shot and tested a D5100/D7000 out, they'd never go back.

#8 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

I totally agree.

Guylain

If people truly gave Nikon a shot and tested a D5100/D7000 out, they'd never go back.

The debate of dark frame noise is an academic exercise; technologically we know Canon and Nikon are at par or can be at par if they wanted to. Canon has something to show for 2 to 0 at least in coming up with cameras designed specifically for astro imaging; until Nikon creates an ‘a’ version of their model/s, status quo is going to prevail (and it will remain a measuring criteria how committed Nikon is to AP). Thx

#9 s58y

s58y

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern NY

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

One of the problems with Nikon in the 46.5mm lens register, which makes it harder to use old camera lenses for imaging. Of course, a this will change whenever APS-C mirrorless cameras that have good tethering support finally come out.

#10 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

I totally agree.

Guylain

The debate of dark frame noise is an academic exercise; technologically we know Canon and Nikon are at par or can be at par if they wanted to. Canon has something to show for 2 to 0 at least in coming up with cameras designed specifically for astro imaging; until Nikon creates an ‘a’ version of their model/s, status quo is going to prevail (and it will remain a measuring criteria how committed Nikon is to AP). Thx

I don't think it should be a matter of how committed Nikon is - or is not - in terms of astro-photography camera platforms, insomuch as it has everything to do with the perception that Canons are the Holy Grail despite four of Nikon's latest camera models blowing the barn doors off of their direct Canon competitors. The D5100/D7000 vastly outperformed the higher-end Canon 5DMkII in every benchmark test aside from video and in noise reduction - especially in low-light, high-ISO settings, both walked away from Canon.

DxO Labs, in fact, gave its sensor a score of 80, which was far above the ratings held by much more expensive Canon competitors.

That should say something, IMO.

#11 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

One of the problems with Nikon in the 46.5mm lens register, which makes it harder to use old camera lenses for imaging. Of course, a this will change whenever APS-C mirrorless cameras that have good tethering support finally come out.

Not at all true.

I shoot with older lenses on my D5100 and my images come out perfectly fine. In fact, I just shot two images concurrently of the Horsehead and Great Orion Nebula with a 25-year-old Spiratone 500mm mirror lens and a photo I took of the Andromeda Galaxy was shot using a Craig Optics 80-200mm zoom lens that came with a Nikkormat FTn 35mm SLR I purchased last summer.

#12 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

I agree completely with Steve's assessment but perhaps I could clarify a few points?

Although it was nice that Canon acknowledged the astro community with the "a" models, they didn't really go far enough. The IR transmission profile was altered too conservatively and the AA filter retained leading most imagers to still modify their own cameras for better response. Canon should have offered their own version of the Astronomik Clip In IR cut filter bundled with the "a" models so that no custom white rebalance would be needed for regular photography and a more radical IR transmission profile then allowed. Perhaps Nikon saw the sales response and decided against offering a dedicated astro model.

Although the Nikon flange to sensor distance is too long to engineer an adaptor for other camera make's lenses, the T thread lenses from the 1960s and 70s will still work and I believe this is what Steve was shooting with.

#13 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

There also has to be a cricital mass shift in the AP image acquision software to add good support for Nikon cameras.

Also there is still a lot of lag from the days that Nikon cameras automatically filtered out stars via in-built noise reduction and all the hacks required to defeat this. That started the "Nikon is no good" perception over 8 years ago.

#14 Jim Chung

Jim Chung

Vendor - Icodome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

I think that Guylain (BackyardEOS author) is working on a companion software to control Nikon DSLRs due out later this year!

#15 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

I think that Guylain (BackyardEOS author) is working on a companion software to control Nikon DSLRs due out later this year!

I've heard that as well. There's also a guy doing mono conversions for Nikon's. :grin:

Truth is, there are two people within this thread who could do more for Nikon astro-imaging then Nikon could/would do themselves.

#16 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

There also has to be a cricital mass shift in the AP image acquision software to add good support for Nikon cameras.

Also there is still a lot of lag from the days that Nikon cameras automatically filtered out stars via in-built noise reduction and all the hacks required to defeat this. That started the "Nikon is no good" perception over 8 years ago.

And that "star-eating noise reduction" was completely eliminated upon the release of the D5100/D7000.

#17 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

It was eliminated WELL before the D5100/D7000..
In any case, it doesnt matter now anyways! :)

In fact, there is proof out there that SOME Canon models actually DO this! And have done this over the years with several models..
I dont want to start a debate or anything..
Just trying to show that people have been stuck on the "Holy Grail=Canon" for reasons that are very outdated and of no consequence now!
Use whatever camera you have/can afford/feel comfortable using, and just get out there and shoot! Who cares if one is slightly better than the next...it is a never ending debate..and is really splitting hairs in some cases..

Cheers!

#18 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I've heard that as well. There's also a guy doing mono conversions for Nikon's. :grin:

Truth is, there are two people within this thread who could do more for Nikon astro-imaging then Nikon could/would do themselves.

Yes this is correct; BackyardNIK is in the works.

Guylain

#19 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Viking 1

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I would have no problem stepping into a role of spokesman for Nikon in terms of astrophotography. It says something when you use a camera whose sensor outranks Canons by a wide margin.

#20 TopherTheME

TopherTheME

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rochester, MI

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

You all wanna talk about how Nikon outperforms Canon in terms of image noise and sensitivity? How about the camera brand that outperforms them all, PENTAX! The K-5 (II, IIs) outperforms ALL Canons and the D5100 along with the D7000 in terms of noise and sensitivity and really overall image quality. Its also weather sealed and cold proof. It has in camera image stabilization (YEAH image stabilization with your telescope! not that you would need it).

And for those of you that like to use old manual lenses, Pentax hasn't changed their mount in 30+ years. That means you can use any K-mount lens Pentax has every made.

Really, the only reason not buy a Pentax (or even Nikon) over a Canon is that you can't use BYEOS and those clip in filters may not work. There just really is no other selling point to Canon cameras for AP.

And did I mention the K-5 IIs has no AA filter allowing for sharper (higher resolution) images?

#21 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

I totally agree.

Guylain

I really want to get a D5100 but I'd like to see more actual performance over a wider range of targets, with a modified camera, using various LP and NB filters. There just aren't many images out there at all...

#22 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Viking 1

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I totally agree.

Guylain

I really want to get a D5100 but I'd like to see more actual performance over a wider range of targets, with a modified camera, using various LP and NB filters. There just aren't many images out there at all...

I've been trying to do that at least with my unmodified camera, however for the last three months I've been sort of precluded from doing so due to a persistent and rather soaking cloud cover that began in the first week of October. And lately, just when ya think things are clearing out, we get socked in again.

To say I've had a frustrating late fall/winter deep sky imaging season is a vast understatement.

#23 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Why wait? A D5100 body only nowadays is just over the $400 mark ~ brand new. Granted, it's $400 buckaroos but it's not like it was 5 years ago where a Canon 40D was $2000.

The D5100 and D7000 have the same sony sensor... so if you can find D7000 images consider them the same as having been taken with a D7000.

Guylain

#24 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Why wait? A D5100 body only nowadays is just over the $400 mark ~ brand new. Granted, it's $400 buckaroos but it's not like it was 5 years ago where a Canon 40D was $2000.

I have a functioning, albeit noisy, modified D50. I can't find a new D5100 body for $400. The cheapest is just under $500. I a VERY tempted based on Steve's two recent images though :crazy:

#25 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I have a functioning, albeit noisy, modified D50. I can't find a new D5100 body for $400. The cheapest is just under $500. I a VERY tempted based on Steve's two recent images though :crazy:

I got one of my brand new D5100 from these guys in Toronto, Canada for $429 last week (on their ebay store). That camera is now in the mail on its way to Jim to be MONOfied.

Guylain

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics