Celestron StarSense

• Please log in to reply
1188 replies to this topic

#651 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

What focal length were you shooting at. 60 seconds unguided is very good. My CGEM can't do that even with perfect PA. You got a good one.

#652 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Not very much! I was using an AT-66 (400mm).

Charlie

#653 ghostrunner007

ghostrunner007

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

OH yeah, I am 6' 2" so moving the mount is easy and ES supplies a great case with the 127mm that putting it in the cab of the truck is a piece of cake. The starsense showed up tonight and I mounted it on to my 152 mm ES APO which is mounted to my CGEpro. Updated the controller and the camera with no problems. Hooked up the sky sync gps to the controller turned on the power and hit auto align and the scope first moved to the switch positions and then went though the align procedure all on its own. It finished with no problems and when I selected Capella the scope slewed to it and put the star in the fov of my 9mm eyepiece, I then centered it and then calibrate the camera , at this point the clouds came in. So far this thing works as advertised

#654 UBobW

UBobW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hi Bob,

Those are very unusual firmware versions for a production unit I think, as my production unit shipped in early september had higher numbered/dated versions of both the HC and camera firmware, which I have comfirmed with celestron were the standard production unit versions.

I know you would rather not have to, and I understand your reasoning on why, but the situation is what it is now, and in your case in particular it might pay you to join team celestron, check with the firmware engineers you can talk directly to there about your curent versions, and possibly update if they recommend that. I think you will find them friendly and helpful, and they have been very responsive there in the last couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Chris M

Im definitely on old code though it is surprising given that the unit just shipped out of Celestron CA on Oct 1.

Star sense HC ver 01.04.13290 bld May 22, 2013.
Starsense Camera ver 00.00.0000
Motor control MDL advanced VX azm ver 6.7 alt ver 6.7

Early adopter or not if the thing doesnt have the latest and greatest software out of the box, i should have some option of upgrading it and not have to wait and join a beta testers site and wait for access to get code that is 'better'

Bob

Updating the board, it turns out the SSA that i just got slipped out of Celestron with really old firmware. joining Team Celestron, there are 2 beta updates that need to be applied, but i couldnt because my firmware was to old. Team Celestron made a new install package for me in less than a day and have been super helpful as well as Chris from this board so thanks!

Installing the new firmware, i struggled at first to get objects to load with frequent errors loading the objects failing with "Update Cancelled: Device Memory Corrupt" occurring at different portions of the process. These problems seemed to be related to the serial port on my new refurbished laptop. Once i switched to my Keyspan USA-19HS usb to serial dongle the upgrades took and im now at these versions.

StarSense HC
ver 01.06.13268
bld Sep 25, 2013
00:33:09
StarSense Camera
ver 01.01.13246
Motor Control
mdl Advanced VX
Azm Ver: 6.7
Alt Ver 6.7

Center: +504, +941

After entering the correct time and gps coordinates, which requires one to go into the menu to set up, not automatically prompted for it like it says in the manual, i did the first auto alignment ok. I then attempted to slew to Vega to use it as the centering star. When i attempted to slew to Vega im not sure where it was trying to go. I let it ride until it the ota was about to hit my tripod then i stopped it by pressing one of the arrow buttons on the HC. I manually aimed the scope at Vega using my red dot finder to get it close then centered it in the fov of my Mallincam VSS. I then did the centering procedure and the new center values +438,+273. I powered cycled and repeated the auto alignment ok.

I slewed to Vega and if youre familiar with Miloslick software Vega wasnt dead center in the crosshair, but about halfway between center and the circle. I added this as a calibration area and re-slewed to Vega and it moved to a different area of the fov about the same distance from center. I did this for several other stars with similar results, in all cases the star was comfortably within the fov but not quite dead center.

I cant complain about this at all as it seems very comparable to my NexStar+ with a 2/4 alignment and using precise goto and it took a lot less time to align and i only had to get out of my chair once to do the one time centering process!

Tracking seemed to be off in certain areas of the sky for 60sec + exposures, im thinking this is split between my rig not being properly balanced and that the polar alignment is only "rough" since aspa isnt working and im a lazy newbie that doesnt want to be bothered with learning drift alignment, thats why i got the goto scope with aspa in the first place

Hoping for clear skies tonight to give this a good workout!

Thank you for all the help!
Bob

#655 C8er

C8er

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Bob

Glad to hear the engineers at Celestron fixed your problems Bob, and that I could also help you get to that point.

Enjoy. You are fortunate to have had your problems solved so quickly!

Now to get my own serious SSA problems fixed soon I hope! It's been more than a little frustrating being one of the very first people to report SSA problems, I think more than five weeks ago now, but then having to wait and watch while a whole series of higher priority problems (higher priority because they affect more users) get fixed one after another before mine even got looked at. I can't argue with Celestron's fix order priorities, but that doesn't really lessen the frustration much.

Cheers,
Chris M

#656 cnargie

cnargie

Lift Off

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Bob or someone. Can someone help me out. I have the EXACT same issue as you. Ridiculously old firmware from May and the upgrade process doesn't work for me. I did the first part of the upgrade but had to use the menu logo combo and now it just is not working at all. I am desperate for some guidance to fix my StarSense. Could you PM me with any details? Thanks, Christian

Hi Bob,

Those are very unusual firmware versions for a production unit I think, as my production unit shipped in early september had higher numbered/dated versions of both the HC and camera firmware, which I have comfirmed with celestron were the standard production unit versions.

I know you would rather not have to, and I understand your reasoning on why, but the situation is what it is now, and in your case in particular it might pay you to join team celestron, check with the firmware engineers you can talk directly to there about your curent versions, and possibly update if they recommend that. I think you will find them friendly and helpful, and they have been very responsive there in the last couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Chris M

Im definitely on old code though it is surprising given that the unit just shipped out of Celestron CA on Oct 1.

Star sense HC ver 01.04.13290 bld May 22, 2013.
Starsense Camera ver 00.00.0000
Motor control MDL advanced VX azm ver 6.7 alt ver 6.7

Early adopter or not if the thing doesnt have the latest and greatest software out of the box, i should have some option of upgrading it and not have to wait and join a beta testers site and wait for access to get code that is 'better'

Bob

Updating the board, it turns out the SSA that i just got slipped out of Celestron with really old firmware. joining Team Celestron, there are 2 beta updates that need to be applied, but i couldnt because my firmware was to old. Team Celestron made a new install package for me in less than a day and have been super helpful as well as Chris from this board so thanks!

Installing the new firmware, i struggled at first to get objects to load with frequent errors loading the objects failing with "Update Cancelled: Device Memory Corrupt" occurring at different portions of the process. These problems seemed to be related to the serial port on my new refurbished laptop. Once i switched to my Keyspan USA-19HS usb to serial dongle the upgrades took and im now at these versions.

StarSense HC
ver 01.06.13268
bld Sep 25, 2013
00:33:09
StarSense Camera
ver 01.01.13246
Motor Control
mdl Advanced VX
Azm Ver: 6.7
Alt Ver 6.7

Center: +504, +941

After entering the correct time and gps coordinates, which requires one to go into the menu to set up, not automatically prompted for it like it says in the manual, i did the first auto alignment ok. I then attempted to slew to Vega to use it as the centering star. When i attempted to slew to Vega im not sure where it was trying to go. I let it ride until it the ota was about to hit my tripod then i stopped it by pressing one of the arrow buttons on the HC. I manually aimed the scope at Vega using my red dot finder to get it close then centered it in the fov of my Mallincam VSS. I then did the centering procedure and the new center values +438,+273. I powered cycled and repeated the auto alignment ok.

I slewed to Vega and if youre familiar with Miloslick software Vega wasnt dead center in the crosshair, but about halfway between center and the circle. I added this as a calibration area and re-slewed to Vega and it moved to a different area of the fov about the same distance from center. I did this for several other stars with similar results, in all cases the star was comfortably within the fov but not quite dead center.

I cant complain about this at all as it seems very comparable to my NexStar+ with a 2/4 alignment and using precise goto and it took a lot less time to align and i only had to get out of my chair once to do the one time centering process!

Tracking seemed to be off in certain areas of the sky for 60sec + exposures, im thinking this is split between my rig not being properly balanced and that the polar alignment is only "rough" since aspa isnt working and im a lazy newbie that doesnt want to be bothered with learning drift alignment, thats why i got the goto scope with aspa in the first place

Bob

#657 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

I feel bad for you Chris. Mine seems to working pretty well. If the get the ASPA working correctly I will be satisfied. If the goodies they have planned for the future come to fruition I will be pleased! Hang in there buddy!

#658 C8er

C8er

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi Christian.

You will need to join team celestron (just google it and follow your nose to join up there and become a public beta tester), then a Celestron engineer will almost certainly be able to sort your problem out as they did for Bob very quickly. It might take a day or two for your application to join to be approved, especially over the weekend, but they are very helpful and responsive once you are in.

Cheers,
Chris M

#659 cnargie

cnargie

Lift Off

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I will be doing so. Funny how I run into problems on the weekends the same way clouds come with new equipment! Cheers!

#660 C8er

C8er

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

Thanks Stew. I'll get there eventually. I for sure won't be giving up until they have my problems fixed.

As I say I can't argue with their fix priorities if I use any sensible logic, and they have kept talking to me very regularly in recent weeks. In recent days they have finally started work on one of my problems, which is stopping my CG-5 from aligning with the SSA. I'm working closely with them.

My major showstopper SSA problems happen to be ones that only affect me, or in one case me and one other person, that we know of so far, so they have had to wait for diagnosis and fixes until more widely felt problems were fixed.

Cheers,
Chris M

I feel bad for you Chris. Mine seems to working pretty well. If the get the ASPA working correctly I will be satisfied. If the goodies they have planned for the future come to fruition I will be pleased! Hang in there buddy!

#661 OneDaveT

OneDaveT

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL, USA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

I received my SS today which I ordered from Opt this past Monday. I updated the firmware to the bleeding edge latest and greatest, and tested it out this evening on my CGEM DX. I think I read somewhere that scope calibration takes 3 minutes. I didn't time it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was quicker. I like the new hand controller. It does seem like an improvement, though takes a short getting use to finding the new location for some functions.

Regarding usage, I need to play with it a little more. Calibration was super simple and fast. I found goto's from the hand controller was hit-or-miss (up to 1-2 degrees) However, I later hooked up SkyFi dongle and used my iPad with Sky Safari, and the results were always dead on gotos, telling me that the new plate solving is right on.

#662 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

Hi,
I finally got my Starsense today. First I tried to install the two updates but the second one wouldn't install. I retried both updates several times. My original Version was dated May 2013. The menu was scrambled and nothing could be selected and I could not do a factory reset. I was very upset and frustrated, then I posted my problem on team Celestron and emailed Derik my logs as requested. Right away he responded with a fix. I also got one of the original ones with older firmware that wasn't supposed to go out to the public. The fix he gave me fixed everything and installed the 2 updates. I am very happy and impressed at how fast this was fixed for me. And on a Friday evening to boot. I shouldn't of had to go through all this but how fast he responded and fixed this made up for it. I am not allowed to give this fix out. If your having this problem just go to Team Celestron and post your problem with any logs. They will help you.

I set up my CGE mount with 9.25 EdgeHD and started testing. I was not happy that you cannot put your Longitude or Latitude in. Just your nearest big city. I'm not that close to San Antonio.
I turned the brightness up but the display and keys were rather dim to me.
The menu is completely different. I will get use to it before long.
I used Vega to calibrate the camera. I don't like that after you calibrate the camera the menu locks up and you cannot select Home Position, instead you must manually slew the mount to the Home Position to restart it and do the alignment.
It uses 4 points to align. Every time my unit picked 3 points to the northwest, and one to the northeast. all my goto's to the southeast or southwest were too far off. I added a calibration point around the Lagoon nebula and it had no problem finding 100 stars with the moon right there. Then those goto's were good. I think having 3 alignment points to the northwest isn't good. If at least one was to the south it would help pointing quit a bit.
I think maybe if they could have an option for precision alignment, where it automatically goes to about 6 or more points all around the sky, then goto's would be great everywhere in the sky.

This was just my initial testing and initial thoughts.
I did not test tracking yet.

Overall I am pleased with the SS and with Celestrons engineers going to great lengths to make each persons unit work. I am glad I bought it. I would recommend buying one, but some people might want to wait until the rest of the problems are worked out. I don't think it will be long.

Neilson

#663 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:22 AM

You should be able to enter Longitude and Latitude. See pg11 step 4 of the online manual.
"Press ENTER to select Location by City.
Choose your country and city by scrolling
through the menus provided. Alternatively, you
can enter your longitude and latitude by pressing
the OPTION button on the lower left of your
hand control’s keypad. Press ENTER
to move the underline cursor over to the
next value."

It worked for me though I have my GPS unit working now with the update.

#664 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi Mark,
This is great news. I just went out and tried the options key like you said and it took me to the coordinates where I can put in my longitude and latitude. This should help improve my accuracy. I'm glad you found that. Thanks for letting me know about this Mark. I'm going to have to reread the instruction manual to see what else I might have missed. Then after these clouds clear up I will test it again.

Neilson

#665 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

Celestron has released a new beta version of CFM (1.7.3274) that is compatible with StarSense. This CFM resolved an issue I has having with my StarSense HC after updating the firmware with the previous beta CFM.

See TeamCelestron.com web site for details.

#666 pcguru2000

pcguru2000

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

I think it might also now be recommended on team celestron(but not in the manual yet) that you use a star near the celestial equator for your camera-ota calibration once you get to that stage after doing your initial autoalign, rather than just using any star for the camera calibrateas the manual suggests. Some people have had the camera calibration well and truly messed up by using stars in other parts of the sky.

Cheers,
Chris

Starsense comes to the rescue. No longer need to level mount. No longer need to find brightest stars. No longer need to do over and over an autoalign. All sounds great. But wait, now we have to know which stars fall in the "celestial equator" for this $330 accessory to work properly? We can send men to the moon with a computer that has less processing power than a $3 digital watch, but celestron can't program starsense not to be so picky? For $330, and being 2013, this device should be bullet proof!

#667 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Wow, someone is quick on the trigger, They seem to be working on it and giving everything they have to get it A-1... Sometimes things just have glitches etc. at least they are responding to people it seems. Take a breath, calm down and relax :jump:,
Kasey

#668 C8er

C8er

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

Ahhh, No actually. Just the Celestron engineers trying to be helpful and give people a temporary way around a problem until they can fix the problem properly in a firmware update.

You might like to join team celestron and see how hard they are working to fix the problems.

Cheers

I think it might also now be recommended on team celestron(but not in the manual yet) that you use a star near the celestial equator for your camera-ota calibration once you get to that stage after doing your initial autoalign, rather than just using any star for the camera calibrateas the manual suggests. Some people have had the camera calibration well and truly messed up by using stars in other parts of the sky.

Cheers,
Chris

Starsense comes to the rescue. No longer need to level mount. No longer need to find brightest stars. No longer need to do over and over an autoalign. All sounds great. But wait, now we have to know which stars fall in the "celestial equator" for this $330 accessory to work properly? We can send men to the moon with a computer that has less processing power than a $3 digital watch, but celestron can't program starsense not to be so picky? For $330, and being 2013, this device should be bullet proof!

#669 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

I applaud their efforts but it would have been nice to have done all this beta work before release. These firmware releases are beta at this time.

#670 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Pcguru could take some pointers from you Mark in ways to address something, :bow: sugar gets more than salt LOL, Good show of grace, Kasey

#671 Robert York

Robert York

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

Just want to throw my 2 cents in since I received mine yesterday and spent the evening playing with it. All in all, aside from having to figure out how to reset everything on it, it works like a charm.

The first note is, as someone pointed out, you have to manually go in and put the proper time, date and location in. It doesn't ask for it. Not having this right and doing all the other set up will get things screwed up.

Also, I read a few posts about people having problems with polar alignment? I wasn't having any issues. I tried it a few times, and it seemed off.. but by a few arc minutes. That's also when I realized my location was off. I didn't fuss with it much after I got my location fixed. I did several 30 second exposures with no streaking at all, and perfectly round stars. Granted, I was at a focal length of 540mm, but no guiding. It was not great observing weather, so I wasn't set up to try long exposures and auto guider.

Takes around 60 seconds to align for me, and most of the sky is blocked. I just happen to have clear shots to the NE and NW, where it likes to look. Wish I could mount it on my mount, rather than the scope! Might have to make a fancy mounting plate with that and my guidescope.

#672 will1384

will1384

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

I have a two Android tablets, Android phone, and a netbook that I hope to use with the AVX mount and Celestron Starsense, and I hope to use bluetooth with the Android devices, and I will be using SkySafari, and other software on Android, from what I read that cheap $16 adapter should work.

This is what I hope to do:

(1) Use the StarSense to do an alignment good enough for photography.

(2) Find my targets and move the telescope to them with my phone or tablet, using the RS-232 to bluetooth adapter, and a Celestron RS-232 cable.

(3) Use a netbook and a StarShoot AutoGuider stay locked onto the target.

(4) Take some pictures.

Wish me luck LOL

I updated the StarSense, and other than the missing ASPA its working well, its getting stars close to the center of my 12.5mm Illuminated Reticle eyepiece, and its jut barely good enough that with the StarShoot AutoGuider and PHD I can take 60 second exposures, guess that cheating LOL, I only wish it could do the 60 second exposures without autoguiding, I ran into a problem with the bluetooth adapter, I thought I had some null modem cables and adapters, I was wrong, so now I got to wait until one gets here.

#673 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:15 AM

Hey Will,
Am curious about the mount your using, were you ever able to get 60 sec unguided? From what I hear thats pretty good. Also my understanding is that SS is not able to polar align yet so you would have to do it on your own. May be thats the problem with your 60 sec exposures? Thank you, Kasey

#674 UBobW

UBobW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi Mark,
This is great news. I just went out and tried the options key like you said and it took me to the coordinates where I can put in my longitude and latitude. This should help improve my accuracy. I'm glad you found that. Thanks for letting me know about this Mark. I'm going to have to reread the instruction manual to see what else I might have missed. Then after these clouds clear up I will test it again.

Neilson

I keep re-reading the manual and finding more stuff each time i look.

On my last read I saw on page 19 about the help button. The manual indicates if your goto pointing accuracy is off, you can press the menu button and the scope will slew to a nearby bright star and take a picture to update the sky model. I havent had a chance to try this yet. Im not sure if this is the same process as manually adding a new calibration area or something slightly different. Ive been adding calibration areas in areas im looking at and it does help.

Bob

#675 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

I am hoping that they will change that a bit. Just press align after a slew and a calibration point would be added where the scope stopped slewing. Would be quick and easy if they implement it. No slewing to a bright star or backing out of the menu to add a calibration point.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics