• Please log in to reply
1188 replies to this topic

#701 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hi,
I spent several hours just doing alignments with my Starsense. This time all my alignments were successful but almost all my goto's were poor(not in the eyepiece)on my CGE classic mount.

Neilson

#702 mamamia

mamamia

Vostok 1

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hi,
I spent several hours just doing alignments with my Starsense. This time all my alignments were successful but almost all my goto's were poor(not in the eyepiece)on my CGE classic mount.

Neilson

Are these issues mount specific?

#703 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hi,
I know some of my SSA problems are specific to CGE mounts.

Today I replaced my CGE classic mounts CAT-5 cables but SS was the same.
Tonight I had successful alignments but poor goto's again.

I decided to test tracking. I took a 4 minute 45 second guided image with perfect round stars.
My mount has extremely low periodic error giving it good tracking. So I wanted to try some unguided images but the clouds raced in so I will test this tomorrow along with the new updates to the firmware.

The updates to fix the Starsense keep coming. Posting your specific problems on Team Celestron gets them noticed so they know what needs fixing on each type of mount. They are doing a great job.

Neilson

#704 cheesehead

cheesehead

Lift Off

• Loc: Lake Geneva, WI.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:43 AM

Well I feel compelled to write my first post as I have been silently watching this thread with interest as I bought an unused cg5 mount that had the old hand control that can't be upgraded. I couldn't upgrade the mc firmware either through the old hand control so It made sense to buy the SS but was a little nervous about it after reading all these posts. I bit the bullet on one that was sold on this website unused this past week and finally got it outside on an extremely well moonlit sky. I had it freeze on me right away so powered off and tried again. This time it did a complete align and did a calibrate routine centering Capella in a 4.7mm eyepiece. The numbers were 735 and three hundred and something. Can't remember exactly. The first object I chose to slew to was the Andromeda Galaxy and was pleasantly surprised to find it dead center in my 24mm eyepiece in my c8. I observed all over the sky for a few hours and found that to be the case all night. I used the Skysync GPS and the Skysafari with the starseek plugged into the handset. All worked perfectly. I didn't polar align as I wasn't imaging so don't know if that will work or not but am very happy so far. Just thought that might encourage others to not give up that are having problems. My firmware was dated Aug 14th.

#705 scopenitout

scopenitout

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

In his post, I think "cheesehead" really targeted what's so puzzling about the SSA. For a few, the SSA worked near perfectly out of the box. For others, even with remedial firmware, the results are much less satisfactory. What is the explanation for this variability? I'm still of the mind that batches of defective product escaped the factory.

#706 mamamia

mamamia

Vostok 1

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Initially took the risk and ordered one, then after thinking for couple of days I cancelled my order. I asked the same question on Teamcelestron.com of the reliability of this device. They answered that the issue has been more or less with high $ mounts. In my view if the issue is just to do with S/W Celestron "can" dedicate surge resources to get it fixed. But its hardwre they will have fix the design and manufacture new batch with updated hardware. I decided to sit out and wait.

#707 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Cheesehead,
It would be nice for you to join Team Celestron and post your info so Derik and his team could review and see your results for better input,, might help in some way, Kasey

#708 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hi,
It would have been nice if the SSA would have been working right out of the box, but since we are having to wait for Celestron to come out with fixes, it would be nice if they were devoting all their attention to getting it fixed right away. Instead of devoting their attention to other non Starsense business. There are plenty of things that need to be fixed on SS. Mine has all the original problems the very first ones had and I am running the latest beta software for Team Celestron. There are some mounts who report good results with the beta firmware but the rest of us are still waiting. Even those with good results are still waiting on ASPA and the IC catalog.

Neilson

#709 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Pictures of SSA mounted directly to CGEM saddle (not yet painted)

http://s906.photobuc...mounter to CGEM

#710 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Thats a nice set up Mark, really nice and clean,, Do you worry your OTA will interfere with the SS view??
Kasey

#711 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hasn't seemed like it has interfered yet. It has aligned with the C11 attached. Just waiting for the ASPA.

#712 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hi Mark,
I really like that ideal and that looks like a great location for it.

Neilson

#713 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

Well I pulled the trigger and went with the CGEM,,,,, and yes, ordered SS also :o I know still has kinks but will be resolved... I want to thank everyone for their time input experience expertise insights etc. ,, Will post a couple pics and see what its capable of unguided,, hopefully have a very good line number :jump:,, Once again, thank you all,,
Kasey

#714 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

Congrats!

Look forward to your first setup report and your first light report!! :grin:

#715 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hi
They posted a new update on Team Celestron beta testers so I updated my SSA. I tried many alignments but all my same problems were still there. I had 2 lock ups, a run away slew, and all my goto's were poor.(not in view of my 40mm eyepiece, out to the edge of my finderscope.) and adding calibration points did not help.

My SS camera is mounted on the top right side of my 9.25 Edge. The bracket is mounted at a slight angle to the right, so my camera is leaning to the right some. I loosened up the lens and turned the camera so that it is pointing straight up. After doing another calibrate camera and new auto alignment my goto's to the north were now centered. My southern goto's were just outside of my 40mm eyepiece. I did one southern add calibration point and they were now centered. I checked my northern goto's and they were still centered. All goto's across the entire sky were now centered. 4 times in a row I cycled power and selected auto alignment and everything came out exactly the same. All goto's were centered all over the sky. Yea! :grin:

I will retest my mount for several more days and hopefully I still get great results without any lockups, runaway slews, or poor goto's on my CGE classic mount.

I am happy now
Neilson

#716 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

Not having a SS to speak from experience, but if the alignment is working great but ASPA does not at this time,,, was wondering about using SS for align, switch handset and jump to ASPA without any new align, then switch to SS handset and realign???? sounds like a lot of monkey motion but is a thought till ASAP is fixed...
Kasey

#717 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Congrats! on the new mount and SS.. :waytogo:

#718 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

The aignment is stored in the HC. Unplugging or powering down will lose your alignment. BTW you need an alignment to run ASPA.

What you could do is do an alignment and ASPA with the standard HC then do an alignment with the SSA. You polar alignment is still fine as long as you don't move the alt az axis. Awful lot of trouble though.

#719 dve1

dve1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Neilson,

Are you saying that you think all of your problems were solved by rotating the SS camera?

Any possibility you could post a picture or give a further description of what you mean by "turned the camera so it is pointing straight up"?

Thanks!

#720 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

There is a new update on SS I think, was on Team Celestron, heres the link, Kasey
http://www.celestron...a=viewdownlo...,7

#721 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hi dve1,
The Celestron Engineer said that that should not have made a difference. It might have just been a coincidence. I will be doing more testing tonight to verify this. I will post my results in a few hours.

Another tester just reported that he tried turning his camera several different positions and it made no difference so it was probably just a coincidence.

I just finished testing.
I wasn't able to get enough stars for an alignment until one hour 15 minutes after sunset. After several alignments with poor goto's and one failed align. and one lock up during alignment, I finally got good goto's.
I turned my camera back to 45 deg angle, did a calibrate camera. I got one lock up on 3rd alignment point, one failed alignment and several alignments with very poor goto's.
I turned my camera straight again, and calibrated camera. I got 2 lock ups, one failed alignment, many alignments with poor goto's, and one alignment with good goto's in the north only.

In conclusion: With my Starsense the goto's were just a little better with the camera straight up. But it shouldn't matter how you position it and I would only change it straight up if you keep having poor goto's. Be sure you calibrate camera each time you change it's position.
All the lock ups, failed alignments and very poor goto's are problems when SS is used on the CGE. Other models appear to be having much better results. You should not base your decision on buying the SS on my results unless you have a CGE.

Neilson

#722 dve1

dve1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hi Neilson,

Thanks for the info. I already have a SS so I'm not looking for a recommendation; just trying to head off/solve problems. I have a CGEM mount (as opposed to CGE) but I'm also having problems/mixed results in my first couple attempts. I haven't ruled out operator error yet and I haven't updated to the latest Beta firmware so I'm holding off on posting my results for the moment.

#723 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Your not alone, Some people are having great results and some others are not on the same types of mounts. I would at least be updated with the most recent public released update, or the beta update. If your still having problems, posting here or especially on Team Celestron can help them troubleshoot problem areas or they might help you get yours working correctly. Good Luck,

Neilson

#724 LarryinCA

LarryinCA

Messenger

• Loc: Sonora, CA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

Anyone using this with a CPC1100 and how is it working with auto and manual setup?

#725 cheesehead

cheesehead

Lift Off

• Loc: Lake Geneva, WI.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:33 AM

Cheesehead Reporting Again,
I was very happy with my first outing obviously. The 2nd night wasn't as good. A freeze up on initial alignment. Subsequent alignments were successful but on the outer 30 percent of the field of view for my explore scientific 82 degree field of view 24mm. I thought about was different and came to the conclusion that I was being sloppy with my north and level. Tonight I was very careful about those things and the results much better. I did have the first 2 alignments freeze on me but the 3rd was dead center in the same eyepiece. So it could be better by eliminating the freeze ups but when it works it works really well for me so far.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics