• Please log in to reply
1188 replies to this topic

#51 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Hilmi,

I've been thinking exactly the same thing. And if it did auto guiding as well, that would be the cat's pajamas. However, given the state of mobile processors, it would seem this should be able to go wheels-up and communicate via Bluetooth to a tablet or iPod sized device.

-Rich

You know what would be cool? A similar product but generic to all mounts, one that would for example plate solve on PC (without the purchase of extra software) and do pointing corrections through ASCOM driver of your mount. I'm thinking a sleek simple to use, integrated solution

#52 morecoffee

morecoffee

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

For users of the Celestron SkySync GPS, Does the new StarSense make the GPS module not needed(obsolete) now?

#53 Pak

Pak

Vostok 1

• Loc: The Great Arc

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Well lets be clear. The GPS module was never "needed". All you have to do is peek at your smart phone, grab the coordinates and enter them manually. Takes what? 30 seconds? Not only that but I believe major cities are all there in the memory. All you'd have to do is pick the closest one and that should be good enough for Starsense to accurately pick the correct stars to navigate by.

#54 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

I believe that StarSense has its own GPS

SkySync GPS not needed

#55 oo_void

oo_void

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I agree with Pak ... A GPS may have been helpful 10 to 15 years ago. But with today's modern smart phones, it seems like serious overkill.

#56 dr.who

dr.who

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

You know what would be cool? A similar product but generic to all mounts, one that would for example plate solve on PC (without the purchase of extra software) and do pointing corrections through ASCOM driver of your mount. I'm thinking a sleek simple to use, integrated solution

There already is. It's called Astrotortilla and its shareware. All you need is a camera.

#57 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Any reviews for this product?

#58 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Taken right from Celestron's StarSense page: "Preorder - shipping June, 2013" So, no reviews yet.

#59 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

June?! Bummer. :( I thought March at the latest.

#60 morecoffee

morecoffee

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

If it's the same gadget as on the SkyProdigy Series you can read the reviews on those maybe to see if it works how you want.

#61 dr.who

dr.who

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

There is one. It's called Astro Tortilla.

#62 AstroRick

AstroRick

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

I agree AstroTortilla is pretty neat.

It interfaces with APT, Nebulosity, MaximDL, and PHD for capturing images to solve, and allows you to specify an image file taken by another application.

You need to have a lot of disk space however. It uses the astrometry.net plate-solving engine which was written to run under Unix. astrometry.net uses some very large data files to support its blind solving capability. Also, if you are running the Windows operating system you need to install cygwin which provides a Unix-like environment for astrometry.net.

I used it successfully, for the first time, at the Winter Star Party. I am now a fan!

#63 dr.who

dr.who

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Cheers Rick. One tip is that once you figure out the file for your given telescope aperture you can remove the other ones. It will cut down on the time it takes to solve as well as the HD space.

#64 tboconnor

tboconnor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

There is a little video review here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zDK_rrpAn6s

Im pretty unimpressed with its performance. Jupiter was at the outer edge of the eyepiece.

#65 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Im pretty unimpressed with its performance. Jupiter was at the outer edge of the eyepiece.

It will be interesting to see if the system does better on a better mount.

#66 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Did he calibrate the camera with the scope?

This has to be done so the center of the cameras sensor is collimated with the center of the fov.

#67 palmer570

palmer570

Vostok 1

• Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

I agree with Howard that the mount in the vid has to be calibrated slighty. If whatever object is in the FOV then the calibration would be very simple.

Also it seemed like it he just got it and didn't know that much about telescopes, because walking around with the camera's light on while the scope is trying to scan the sky making its job that much more difficult.

So to put Jupiter in the FOV I think is a win for the mount, and it just needs a slight calibration to put future objects in the center.

#68 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

Taken right from Celestron's StarSense page: "Preorder - shipping June, 2013" So, no reviews yet.

Now it's changed to July!!

Another product I know was slated to come out in early 2012.. it's now 2013.. (the site still says available in 2012) come on manufactures.. the suspense is maddening!!

What will be interesting is if the star sense aligns on the refracted pole and if the point model takes atmospheric refraction into account for the object when the object is in different parts of the sky..

Uh.. look ma.. no wires!

Posted Image

#69 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

fyi I put an older 130SLT OTA (650mm f/5) on my new sky prodigy mount, and after aligning the StarSense with the scope's OTA, I'm very impressed - with a 6.7mm ES 82° eyepiece (97x, 0.85° TFOV - along with 11mm eyepiece as well), it would put most all the messier galaxies in the Leo/Virgo region within the eyepiece's FOV (a handfull were a little too dim for my location). Slewed it 180° around to the open clusters in Auriga and they are still almost spot on. fwiw there's a note in the manual that even if you just collimate your optics (eg, in a Newt), you are advised to perform the alignment again.

#70 nine44

nine44

Ranger 4

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

FWIW...I also purchased the skyprodigy mount with a 70mm refractor that I discarded--just so I could have this technology for my 6se SCT ($229 at B&H on closeout). I realize that the 6se is too heavy (mount says 8lb limit), but it seems to work fine. Just had to cut off some of the cowling on the mount to accomodate the larger radius of the 6se.

The Star Sense tech really does seem to work. It takes three pictures and then solves the sky. After that, gotos are really quite good (about a 3 minute automated process). StarSense does NOT track, however--at least not in the skyprodigy incarnation.

My viewing site is completely obstructed to the north because of a large tree, mostly obstructed to the SW due to my house and tress all around otherwise. But I have found a starting position that allows the system to calibrate reliably.

The mount is a little flimsy and it takes several seconds to stabilize with the 6se on it. But this tech on another mount would be just perfect.

I recognize that many don't see the need for this tech--but I have found that it further decreases the energy barrier to getting out and observing. It takes 3 min to start slewing to objects--and if clouds roll in, I don't feel like I have wasted my evening. If I see a break in the clouds, I can take advantage of it--even if rain is coming in half an hour--pretty cool.

#71 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

After that, gotos are really quite good (about a 3 minute automated process). StarSense does NOT track, however--at least not in the skyprodigy incarnation.
I recognize that many don't see the need for this tech--but I have found that it further decreases the energy barrier to getting out and observing. It takes 3 min to start slewing to objects--and if clouds roll in, I don't feel like I have

Make sure tracking is no Disabled in the menu (you can select Sidereal, Lunar, Solar, or Disabled). The mount will track once aligned.

You're spot on with your conclusion, the scope just makes the decision to bring out the scope so much easier (yes, regular SLT/SE/CPC/etc. alignment for a quick look should only take but a couple of minutes) - just the other day when I was back late evening from an observing session on the outskirts of town, I don't think I was done yet with observing, but wasn't up to pulling out the gear from the car to setup all over again - I took a couple of minutes to bring the SkyProdigy from inside the house to the backyard and fired it up; in the meantime I unloaded the other astro gear from the car into storage. 15min later when my other stuff is put away, I stepped into my backyard and the SkyProdigy was there waiting for me to get my last fix for the night (granted, sky conditions was bad compared to where I just came from).

#72 corpusse

corpusse

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sucks this is delayed. One thing this product would really help is people who rarely make it to dark skies. When I align in a dark sky I have a hard time telling which star is which everywhere you look there are stars. At home there are a very limited number of visible stars and in some ways this makes it a lot easier to align.

#73 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

I know a guy who occasionally comes to club sessions, who is beta testing Star Sense for Celestron. He was there last Saturday. I didn't get a look at it in action, but did briefly chat with him as he was packing up. It sounded pretty cool, really. True democratization of technology which should open the GOTO GEM door folks intimidated by the prospects of self-alignment of a GOTO mount.

The only question is this - $300+ is a lot of incentive for the intimidated to conquer their fears rather than plunking down for the technology. GOTO mount alignment, at least for visual use, is not that difficult really and, especially with help the first time from someone who has done it before, can be mastered literally in a single session. What price convenience? I'm thinking $150 rather than $300 would be attractive to those who have no fear of self-alignment, but are lazy. I'd pay $150, but not $300, just for the convenience factor. Now if it also autoguided... :thinking:

Regards,

Jim

#74 ChubbyNinja

ChubbyNinja

Lift Off

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Sucks this is delayed. One thing this product would really help is people who rarely make it to dark skies. When I align in a dark sky I have a hard time telling which star is which everywhere you look there are stars. At home there are a very limited number of visible stars and in some ways this makes it a lot easier to align.

I agree 100%!!! If I try to align the scope well after the sun sets I sometimes have a lot of difficulty because every star in the FOV looks the same. It can be very difficult for me to center on the correct one. Just after sunset it's not a problem because only the brightest stars are visible.

I ordered this and can't wait for it to arrive... And compared to many items for sale for this hobby I think it is very reasonably priced.

#75 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

I'm way more interested in the pointing model feature than the alignment feature.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics