• Please log in to reply
1182 replies to this topic

#726 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

Cheesehead, are you on a ALT/AZ mount or GEM? I have seen more than once that with a GEM mount leveling does not matter,,,,
Kasey

#727 cheesehead

cheesehead

Lift Off

• Loc: Lake Geneva, WI.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

It's a cg5. Well if that is the case maybe it's pointing more accurately to north.

#728 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm still not having any luck with my CGE. They have been busy with non SS business. I wish they would let the engineers focus on fixing these problems. I would much rather be posting on how my SS is working so great now.

Neilson

#729 Lee.S

Lee.S

Sputnik

• Loc: New Mexico USA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

Larryinca,I've been using the SSA on my CPC1100HD in the azmeth set up and have no problems with the alignment process as of yet I use the CPC portable and set up in different areas within ten miles of this location usually after a successful align I choose the blue snowball as my first target which has always been within the eyepiece close to center.So far I'm visual only with beginning interest into AP when I invest into a wedge.The SSA is doing the operation I purchased it for which is to align with ease though I had no problems with the auto align with the other hand set.I do miss the Constellation part of the menu not on the SSA menu,and the other tour menu is better than the SSA .This of course is just my opinion ....L.S.

#730 LarryinCA

LarryinCA

Messenger

• Loc: Sonora, CA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

t
Thanks for the info Lee. I too am visual only with alt-az setup and have hit and miss success with alignments. I was at a school star party tonight and had two failed two star aligns, i.e. gotos not in the field of view. Three star Skyalign finally worked. Good to hear it works with our setups. Only thing holding me back now is the price, maybe wait awhile and see if cost drops some.

#731 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Well I thought that the engineer was finally going to get to help us and figure out a fix for our SS units with the CGE and some other mount types but he posted that he is now on vacation until the 4th of November.

#732 hrgreen

hrgreen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

I found a mechanical problem that has been causing trouble with camera alignment on my CGEM changing every time I remove and replace it. The alignment seemed to change one to two degrees.

The dovetail pieces DON'T MATCH. The front screw on the camera part misses the front of the OTA shoe unless I push the camera as far back as possible and HOLD it there while tightening the screw. If I don't hold it firmly, the camera shifts slightly forward.

But this causes another problem. Pushing the camera back causes its dovetail surface to encounter a part of the OTA shoe which is raised, forcing the camera to tilt upward at the back. There is no way to avoid having the front screw making only a partial contact (or slipping off completely), or to having the camera end up tilted. Your dovetail set may differ.

The OTA shoe needs to be longer, or the front screw needs to be moved back. I haven't decided if there is a practical fix yet. Team Celestron has been advised.

Hal

#733 hrgreen

hrgreen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

Tonight I removed the receptacle from my OTA and put it and the large camera bracket under a good light so I could see what was going on. The reason I could not fully mate the dovetail was actually that the factory had left metal spurs at the screw-holes projecting into the track area. Some work with a file and emery board seems to have smoothed the track OK, and I recommend this to anyone who doesn't like the way the dovetail works.

Hal

#734 milby

milby

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Well, I pre-ordered my SSA in January of this year and finally received it yesterday. Attractive device, no doubt. The camera looks nice on my 9.25 OTA. Unfortunately, when I plugged the camera into the AUX port of my CGEM and the HC into the HC port, then powered up, all I got was an orange screen on the SS HC.

#735 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

You might want to check software version and see of can be updated on Celestron site, there has been a couple I am pretty sure, Kasey

#736 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

Thanks. Not sure how I can check software version or hope to update when I can only get an orange blank screen on the HC

#737 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

Hi milby,
Maybe this will help.
Press "0" while turning on your Starsense "mount" and it will reset the unit.
If that doesn't work press the Celestron logo and number "7" at the same time while turning it on and it should say "boot loader". This is the mode to upload new firmware updates. You need to connect your computer to the bottom of the Hand Controller with the appropriate cables. And connect the SS camera using a mini usb connector to your laptop when you update the firmware. The boot loader might even unlock it without hooking up to the computer, if not then you'll need to attach your computer. If one of these doesn't help then you will need to contact Celestron. I had similar problems when I got mine. At the time I didn't know about the reset method, but trying the boot loader got it unlocked.

Neilson

#738 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the info, Neilson. Unfortunately, no go. The firmware updater can't find the telescope (with the old CGEM HC all my other astro-programs still see the telescope, so the connections are OK). Despite pressing the "0" on startup and trying the boot loader method, I'm still stuck with a blank orange screen.

Must just be a faulty unit.

#739 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

My SSA was working fine save the ASPA. It will not auto align tonight. After 6 attempts I did a manual align and calibrate center. Tried auto align still failure. Either it says alignment failed or hangs. Went to the standard 2+4 and am observing. The SSA is frustrating. Celestron needs to get on the ball or I know of one that is going back.

If one has to do a manual align and calibrate center every time just to get the same pointing accuracy as the standard controller, the SSA is rather pointless and expensive.

#740 luismartinez

luismartinez

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

I tried my second starsense unit tonight, after one return trip to the dealer. The dealer was helpful as always. Celestron should be ashamed for putting out such a buggy product. Quality control was asleep on this one. Only reason I got it was due to a stroke I have limited mobility and the gymnastics of manual alignment can be too much at times. If this works it will solve my problem, but highly recommend you stay away from it until they clear the bugs. Customers should not be used as beta testers.Don't buy.

#741 scopenitout

scopenitout

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

...Customers should not be used as beta testers....

This has always been my attitude as well. The SSA is a frustrating piece of junk. The problems are not going away with the patches supplied to date. If you must buy one, make sure you can return it for a full refund.

#742 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

I wonder how many are truly working trouble free if any? How long until a total recall? It is certainly a black eye for Celestron.

#743 scopenitout

scopenitout

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

I wonder how many are truly working trouble free if any? How long until a total recall? It is certainly a black eye for Celestron.

A very good question. The dealer that I bought mine from, told me they had sold 10 with no reports of problems. Considering what we read here and on Team Celestron, that is very puzzling. I still contend there is an electronically defective batch that escaped the factory. I'm just glad I purchased from a local, reputable dealer that had no problems when I asked for a refund.

#744 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

A couple weeks ago I called Celestron about my problems with my Starsense. They acted surprised and got the supervisor. I told them there were others with problems and they are just waiting on updates to fix it. They told me they fixed the only few problems the SS had with the first update when SS first came out, and they said that they knew of no other problems or others having problems.
I feel the telescope companies have been falling behind when it comes to modern technology and I have been writing them for several years to come up with these types of items. So I will keep waiting for them to fix the Starsense. And they will. But I'm under the impression that Celestrons upper management doesn't know there are any problems.

Neilson

#745 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

I don't believe they don't know. Thave posted here on CN, and there is plenty of grumbling on teamcelestron. I can see how the dealers are unaware. I have never contacted my dealer. I will call Celestron to make sure they know there is a problem.

#746 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

I'm glad your going to call them, that does help. I believe the engineer is the one who reads our posts when he has spare time.
I wrote what I know then felt that some might think I'm bashing Celestron but I am not, I really do like Celestron products. So I rewrote it saying this. Celestron sold many SSA units all at one time and they collected $329. from each of us. Some units worked some did not. I feel it's their responsibility to have their engineering dept. working on it full time until it's working correctly for everyone. And until it's finished, including the ASPA and IC catalog. Not working on non SS business unable to get to work on SS problems except during spare time.
This is why I'm thinking upper management doesn't know. Their the ones who assign what the engineer works on and when.

Neilson

#747 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

http://www.getrespon...arsense-Auto...

"The Star Sense accessory was scheduled to ship at the end of July, however Celestron engineers have determined
it is not quite ready, and some final fine tuning and tweaking is neccessary.

While we know that folks are anxious to get their hands on this accessory, Celestron wants to ensure the product
works 100% when they ship it.

Unlike some other companies, who let you be the beta tester for their products then fix the problem afterwards
(and no, I didn't mention Microsoft®), they want to ensure it's working properly out the door."

Can't stop laughing at this part!

#748 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

You got me laughing too. :roflmao:
And to think, Its November and it's still not done.

Neilson

#749 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

It's a sign of the times.

Not nearly enough care and attention paid.
Puts me right off Celestron products....although my CGE PRO works great for 3-4 years now....and I do love my Edge 8".

Won't buy SS .....
Until it works perfect with the CGE PRO and ASPA.

#750 scopenitout

scopenitout

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

It's a **real** stretch for Celestron to say they don't know about any SSA problems. If that is the case, they must also be unaware of what one of their engineers has been doing to earn a paycheck.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics