Astrochairs?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brandon, Mississippi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

I'm shopping for an astrochair to use with my NexStar 8SE. I don't have access to any to "try out", but have been recommended a Stardust. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

Hi Bruce,

Can't help you directly with "astro chairs" as such, but an alternative is an adjustable pneumatic stool. They tend to take up less room then chairs and are, by and large, easier to adjust.

You need one with at least 8 inches of travel when using with an 8se.

Regards. Peter

Attached Files

#3 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Vostok 1

• Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

I have been using a Star Bound chair for years. It works great and has a wide range of elevation adjustment. Never tied the stool that Peter suggested, but for the Nexstar line, I am sure it would be a fine choice also.
Good luck.

#4 weinerat

weinerat

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dalian China

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

I bought this one that I use with my dob. 10" of adjustment. Only $58. Portable and simple.

http://www.bhphotovi...sing_Stool_2...

#5 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

• Loc: Upper Mid West

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'll recommend the Stardust too, easy to adjust and very rugged, stable & comfortable.

Attached Files

#6 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

i have the starbound and a skywatcher chair ( equivalent to stardust)

with a SCT, i found that a drummer stool as suggested by Peter works fine. if you want to buy a refractor in the future the astrochaies will be better especially to look at the zenith. but with a sct, the stool is fine.

#7 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Like Peter and Franciois, I use a pneumatic stool. You want one with at 8-10" of adjustment height, which an ordinary office stool will not have. Here's the one I use:
http://www.bhphotovi...sing_Stool_2...

I also own a chair similar to the Stardust: http://store.smartas...y.com/obch.html

I find the pneumatic stool much easier to adjust and more comfortable. Like an office chair, you just touch a level and it goes up or down instantly and easily. The Stardust-like chair requires you to get up, tilt the seat upward, slide it to a new position, and then sit back down on it. With the pneumatic adjustment, it's a lot easier to get exactly the height you want.

With other types of scopes, you need more adjustment range than a pneumatic chair can offer, so a Stardust type chair is useful for dobs or long refractors. And those kinds of chairs also fold up flat which is more convenient for transport. But for comfort and ease of adjustment, for my 2 cents a pneumatic stool works better for SCT viewing.

-Dan

#8 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

i have the starbound and a skywatcher chair ( equivalent to stardust)

with a SCT, i found that a drummer stool as suggested by Peter works fine. if you want to buy a refractor in the future the astrochaies will be better especially to look at the zenith. but with a sct, the stool is fine.

OH BOY I get to disagree with the good Doctor...LOL

The Star bound and Skywatcher chairs use friction
to hold them in place...the StarDust physically locks into place and can not ever let you down and you can wiggle around to your hearts contend reaching and stretching for your eyepiece :roflmao: case or whatever

I've used many many chairs over the years and all I can say is I have not even looked at another chair for the last 8 or 9 ..heck maybe even 10 years since I finally spent my money and got a StarDust...

Bob G

#9 rick rian

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

• Loc: Upper Mid West

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

... The Star bound and Skywatcher chairs use friction to hold them in place...the StarDust physically locks into place and can not ever let you down and you can wiggle around to your hearts contend reaching and stretching for your eyepiece case or whatever.

Amen and amen. :grin:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

#10 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

you are rigth i also use a stardust chair, i get mixed up between the two chairs!!!!

as for the skywatcher there is a guard that prevents falling down and as i dot not giggle on my chair (i am more of a calm person, i suppose it is the canadian temper) i did not fall down, yet

#11 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

PS

i used the friction skywatcher chair yesterday at -30 C and believe, you do not jiggle much. you look and then you walk a bit on and on.

#12 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I have one of these which is the same as the Stardust. Great price with shipping included. It's the one on the right in the picture of the three chairs.

Very comfy, solid and easy to adjust.

#13 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I use a drummer's throne with pneumatic up-down toggle underneath. Sturdy, handy and easy to transport.

#14 TonyDralle

TonyDralle

Apollo

• Loc: Bethel Park, PA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

I've used both a stool and the Stardust. Both are fine for actual observing, but I realize now that, for those moments when I want to sit back and contemplate what I'm looking at, a chair with a back suits me better. And, as Dan mentions, the Stardust-type folds up flat for easy transport. Agree that adjusting its height is slightly less convenient.

- Tony

#15 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have and always use the Starbound. The friction seat has never dropped while I was using it, although I'm aware of that tendency and I am careful to keep my weight fully on the seat. But I do agree with the comments others have made and if I had it to do over again, I'd get the Stardust. The Starbound will not fold flat unless you take the seat off. And putting it back on (not difficult) is just another thing to do before you can start observing. So, although I like my Starbound, I always recommend the Stardust. Much better design, IMO. :grin:

#16 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I use the starbound also and have never had a problem with the seat falling to the ground. It was reasonably priced and is quite comfortable and portable.

#17 berobertsmd

berobertsmd

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brandon, Mississippi

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the great input. I just received an email from Hands On Optics, the Stardust Dealer. They're having 10% off sale until 1/31/13. Looks like a good time to buy a chair! Thanks again-
Bruce

#18 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

You also have to remove the seat on the StarDust to fold it flat OR as a matter of fact to adjust its height...but I have it down to a science and can do the seat height adjustment with one hand and flip of the wrist...

On the slippage issue.. I mentioned that I wiggle around on my chair a lot.. so my weight shifts around and I am also lazy and instead of standing up to get an eyepiece I'll stretch reaching as far as I can to avoid getting off my tail end...

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.. you guys who can sit still for hours I admire...LOL

Bob G...

#19 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

"Wigglers" are probably healthier and less likely to get cold,cramps, or blood clots than those sitting statue-still! :grin:

#20 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

If you have any woodworking skills, it's pretty easy to build a chair for yourself.

Posted Image

#21 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

If you have any woodworking skills, it's pretty easy to build a chair for yourself.

I hit a tree with my car once...does that count?

Stan

#22 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Stan

Only if the stump could be used as an observing chair. :p

#23 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Stan

:funny:

"Fir" enough.

Or as the saying goes :- I am a fairy, my name is Nuff, fairy Nuff. :grin:

Regards. Peter.

#24 NorskeBob

NorskeBob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oswego, NY

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Works great for me - adjustable and easy to store and take traveling. StarDust Observing Chair

#25 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Watermaster That looks like a fun project, but you forgot the cushion. Ouch! I need padding.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics