• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

Well the two new ep's arrived safe and sound per FedEx. Now I have two ep's to fill the gap between my 10mm and 25 Plossl. Of course when barlowed I get two more ep's out of it..6 and 9mm.
I was hope for a first light with these two ep's tonight, but it's going to be coooold tonight, down to 5f and below 0 with the wind.

#2 jkaiser

jkaiser

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wood River Junction, Rhode Island

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thats awesome Rob, I am going to try and place my order either tomorrow or the latest friday.
5 degrees at your house? That means below 0 for me.
Go figure we I had to move to the coldest part of Rhode Island, The only best part of living there is the night sky and privacy.
I can't wait til spring.

#3 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Cool. I'm not going out tonight. I stopped at a bridge in town to take some photos and my hands were actually hurting from the cold after only a few minutes exposed . No thanks.

#4 Eric63

Eric63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Let us know how you like them (when the weather cooperates :grin:). I'm should be receiving the 15mm Paradigm on Monday!

Eric

#5 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Yeah it's below 0 degrees with the wind right now. I am not going out there with the scope. I can dress for it but after 5 minutes with the binos earlier I had tears in my eyes and couldn't see.
I unpacked the ep's and wow are they nice. They come in nice sturdy boxes, plastic bag and then in bubble pouches. I will have to rebalance the scope when using these babies.

#6 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Free State of Arizona

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Raining here. :(

Enjoy the new EPs. I like mine a lot!

#7 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thanks Paco. Will have to wait until the weather gets back into the 20's until I use these babies. I've cut new slots in the case so they now have a new home.

#8 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

"...back into the 20's." :lol:

Brrrr! I shrink just thinking about it. :p

#9 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Congrats on your new eyepieces. I got the 8mm and love it. I’m excited to hear how the 12 and the 18 works out.
I’m sure they are great. :jump:

#10 jkaiser

jkaiser

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wood River Junction, Rhode Island

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

Thats great Rob.
That case must be pretty full now.
Back in the 20's would be a heat wave for us eh.

#11 Tavenor1798

Tavenor1798

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Swindon, UK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

The 18mm and the 12mm are the best in the bunch, I find it best to always use them with the twist-up eyecups fully extended, get's your eye in a good comfortable position for viewing. Enjoy them, they are the best things you could have bought.

#12 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks every for the comments. Good to hear I made a good decision with them. I would have gotten the 15mm but it was out of stock.
Good tip on the eyecups, will give it a try.

#13 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

"I was hope for a first light with these two ep's tonight, but it's going to be coooold tonight, down to 5f and below 0 with the wind."

When I was in Greenland, anything over 0* was a heat wave...and we HAD to go outside......that being said; you couldn't drag me out into the cold now.......

#14 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

It's the same with heat I would think. Once you get to say -20 beyod that isn't much a difference...just cold. Heat is the same, once you hit the 115 mark, 103 is still just hot. I don't think I could deal with 132 degrees again, just like can't deal with the cold...lol

#15 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

I have the 12mm and love it. It gives beautiful views of Jupiter and performs very well with DSOs as well. Great eyepiece for the price.

#16 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I actually have the 18mm, 12mm, 15mm, and the 8mm. I really like these eyepieces a lot. I really can't see any difference in the view quality between any of them. HOWEVER, maybe someone who almost make a hobby out of eyepiece can. I think they are much better than the standard Plossls that most of us that will buy these are use to. And like anything, they may just be "new" nice. (You know, you just spent $70 on a "new" eyepiece, so it has to be nice!!)

#17 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

After reading the last two posts I went out to check the weather...um the wind. I took a walk to the garage..100 feet behind the house, and noticed the wind was some what blocked by the 6ft stockade fence. Might just bundle up and test those two ep's out. Maybe with the Dob since that is where it is, the garage. I should be able to get a good 15 minutes in before the dob and I freeze over ....lolol

#18 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Rob I think I mentioned I have the 25 and the 12 and I use them a LOT in all my scopes.. Tonight I was using the cheapo 8-24mm zoom and I was getting such turbulent views I wanted to ensure it wasn't the EP so I popped the at paradigm 12mm in and was pleasantly wowed again by the FOV of those things. Quite nice. I'm thinking I'm going to get the 18mm of this brand at sme point.. And maybe an 11mm in the ES 82°line.. ;)

Really enjoying the refractor with Rigel , I hope you are out there too

#19 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

You guys know I have the entire line of these. They are a real workhorse sort of EP. Not super wide at 60 degrees, but they have nice eye relief and are super comfy to use. Price is right!!! The 5mm I hardly use, the 8mm a little bit more often (to test seeing conditions) but the others - all the time. Just one heck of a nice EP for the money. Can't see any reason to buy plossls when these are available.

I just picked up the 2" Agena SWA 38mm. Will let you know what I think of it when these clouds go away...

#20 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Matt and Paco, thanks for the moral support on the Ep's. I am sure I too will love them...once I get out to use them. It's 9 degrees now and strong winds so it's like ) out there. maybe this weekend when it warms up a bit I'll take out one of the two scopes.
Paco, got the pm, thanks again.

#21 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

woohoo it's about 29 degrees with a slight cold breeze....BUT clear skies. I have my 6" dob on the patio awaiting the darkness which will be upon us soon. I have my EP case at the ready, same with warm clothing. I'm really looking forward to trying out these two ep's with the dob. I had considered using the XLT102 but I really want to see M42 with the dob to compare with the ep's I had used before on M42. The moon and Jupiter are also on the list of must see's. I will also use my barlow on the moon and Jupiter, along with the TMB 9mm w/wo barlow.
Since it's full moon it will be too bright for any DSO observing and I'll wait for darker skies for that. Will post an update first light with the 12 and 18 ED's.

#22 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I'm wondering how these compare to the TMB Planetary II eyepiece. I still need a 7 and 8mm and see that the Paradigm Dual ED comes in a 8mm. I was thinking about getting the 5mm but I got it in the TMB instead with the sell going on at Astronomics for $40. I've been wanting to try one of these out. Are they as good? Better? Same as the TMB Planetary II?

#23 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

I just had a quick peak with the TMB even tho it's not quite dark yet. really great view with the 9mm TMB. Two clear dark bands as well as faint dark north and southern regions.Could see three dark bands easy. This was with and without the barlow. Mag was over 200 and she gave clear views. Once it gets dark I'll have another look see.
The 12mm got a quick looks see as well. Very clear view of the two main dark bands as well as a faint band.
I will wait another 45 min when it is darker to view again. The moon will be up over the hill and trees in about an hour or so, will view and take a pic of it with the ED's.

#24 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

oh yeah I saw that the TMB's are on sale and was very tempted to buy the 6mm.

#25 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Since the moon isn't up high enugh yet, I thought I'd post a quick update on the 12 and 18 paradigm ED's. All I can say is Fantastic. A short list of my targets from the short session..M52, M36-38, NGC 884 & 869.

For each target I first used the 12mm (200x / 100x) with and then without 2x barlow..same with the 18mm ( 132x / 66x).

M52 is a very nice cluster that I had problems finding before, and only managed to view it once before. I found M52 with no problems this time using first 12mm w/o barlow. Overall a nice black field with pin point stars. With the barlow I counted nearly 2 dozen stars, just a bit more than without. Next the 18mm. With this ep more stars were in the fov and again a nice dark background for the many pin point stars. Was quite amazed at the view of M52. Will have to come back to this cluster again soon.

Next my favorite bino cluster..actually a double cluster ..NGC 884 and 869. Same routine as with M52, very black field with pin point stars to the edge of field...very impressive. After using the 12mm the 18 gave an incredible view, both clusters in the same field of view, except maybe a few stars that didn't make it in. I spent a lot of time with the 18mm w/o barlow on the double. There were many more stars in the clusters than I had previously viewed before, like looking at an image out of a magazine.

M36-38 were the same great views as the other clusters. My favorite has to be the views with the 12mm but for the double cluster the 18mm rocks. These ep's are very much worth the the money spent. I am considering buying another one, maybe two.
Hoping to get up real early and if it's still clear skies then a look at Saturn. Going out for dinner now to put some nice warm Greek food in my empty stomach. More on the ep's soon.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics