Photo

Low power 3D moon.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Usually I view the moon with my C14, and rarely do I use powers so low that the entire moon will fit into the field. I tend to study specific features.

After replaceing the front springs in my old Jag yesterday, I was simply to beat to haul out the C14.

My C5 though stays on the Patio, so last night I decided I would haul it out for a quick look at the moon.

I started with a 20mm plossl, and while the view was quite good, it didn't really blow me away. Seeing was not great, but the more limiting factor was that the view didn't see all that compelling.

I went in for my binoviewers to see if I could spice things up a bit. Once again, using 20mm plossl pair, I enjoyed the view, but it didn't really amaze me. Same for 15mm pairs (about 75x and 100x respectivly).

I was just getting ready to call it a night, but decided to try my new 40mm TV plossls. I have been using these in my Mark Vs in the C14 and have "rediscovered" the benefits of a big exit pupil after spending so much time at higher powers with 24mm eyepecies in the binoviewers.

And the change in the moons appearance was unbeliveable!

In the 40mm Plossls the moon filled only about 2/3rds of the field of the eyepceis, maybe less, but OMG it was so bright and sharp! The level of detail was outrageous and because of the added brightness, all of the detail seemed to just leap out. The 3D effect of the binoviewrs appeared greatly enhanced and the surface near the terminator appeard far more 3D than I have seen it at higher powers.

But most surprisng was the way the moon itself looked. I think it was an illusion that was partly based on the way the terminator curved away from the limbs, but the sensation (or illusion) of seeing the moon not as a partially illuminated disk, but as a true sphere was overpowering.

I know that there is no parallex with binoviewers or even binoculars for objects this far away, but the illusion was so powerful that it was impossible to take my eyes from.

Again, I think it was partially the way the terminator curved up towards the poles, but it appeard that the limb actually curved away from me the rest of the way around and that the central part of the moon was closer to me than the limbs.

The moon looked so bright and everywhere I looked, the detail on it seemed so pronounced and had so much "Depth" that it gave me one of the most memorable views I have ever seen.

I had no idea that the moon could be so amazing at 40x!

I took out the binoviewrs and went to just a single 40mm and did not get nearly the same sensations. The moon looked like a disk, and while the detail appeared crisp, it did not have the stark definition that I observed in the binoviewers.

If you have not tried a pair of really low power eyepeices in your binoviewers to look at the moon, I encourage you to try it. Even if the eyepeices vignette, don't let it stop you.

The added brightness will transform the moon completely into something brilliant and razor sharp!

While I could not see much very fine detail, the overall view was maybe the most memorable view of the moon I have ever had! It was so fantastically 3D and the razor sharp crispness and hyper contrast caused by the super-bright surface and super black shadow detail really moved me.

Will be out again tonight, and next lunar cycle, I intend to do an exclusively low power series of sessions.

#2 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

I've got a pair of Baader Max Brights on hold for a set of plossls to use it with and I know it'll be good. Your account only makes me feel worse for not having them yet. It is amazing what scale and perspective can do though. First time out with my 70mm Ranger and a gibbous moon at 18x I was riveted taking in the scalloped edges of the Maria and so on swearing I never saw it quite like that moment. It's still has its own look at 18x the low power if 70x on my 8" can't touch. I look forward to the bino effect in all my scopes. It's nice to kno the c5 was such a hot performer here too.

Pete

#3 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Brentwood (East Bay Area), CA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Makes me really, really want to invest in a nice Binoviewer and a set of 40mm plossls!

Rob

#4 Dave Chapman

Dave Chapman

Mariner 2

• Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

The only experience I had along these lines was looking at the Moon in total eclipse, through binoculars. The eclipse was deep, and the Moon had an unusual 3D appearance to me. I was not the only one: without being prompted, my 9-year-old daughter exclaimed "it looks like a big ball!" To me, the Full Moon looks like a disk, but under eclipse lighting, it certainly looked more like a sphere.

Dave

#5 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Best view I've ever seen of the Moon was the other night in my Meade 10" SCT with my WO binoviewers. It certainly was 3D looking. Will probably never look at the Moon again without the BV's :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics