• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Ducky62

Ducky62

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The ATL

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

I got a ceramic "super magnet" from Edmund when I was a kid. It was part of my treasure hunting arsenal.I used to go "fishing" with it off of bridges. I think I had visions of ditched crime weapons but as an adult you can imagine the rusty junk I actually reeled in. It was a lot of fun. I was working not too far from the old New Jersey store in the early 1990s. I made the pilgrimage and spent hours in there, bought a sack full of cheap science toys for a few bucks and fulfilled my childhood dream of looking through the Jap periscope.

#27 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

My brother had a magnet like that. I dont remember where he got it. it had a tremendous field strength; was about 8 inches or so long, a couple of inches wide, about an inch thick. It was like a giant bar magnet but the back side was nerdy smooth with curve beveled edges. It must have weighed about 2 pounds. Anyway, I remember that he stuck it on my Mom's new refrigerator. Boy, talk about drama! I have no memory how they ever got it off the refrigerator door! :roflmao:

Terra

#28 proteus5

proteus5

Apollo

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

I go by Edmunds several times a week. What was the retail store is now Anchor Optics. They added onto the main building several years ago. I used to love going into the store in the late 70s and 80s. They had a surplus back room, and I built a couple of nice telescopes from parts that I got very cheap. I'd get a part for a mount, and go back several times a week looking for the next part. It would take months, a small part at a time but if you haunted the place and were patient you'd end up with a complete scope from surplus parts for a fraction of the cost.

I even worked there for a very short time in the late 80s running their small computer system they had for the mail order/retail side of things. 30% employee discount was great. I really miss that store :(

The Japanese periscope is long gone, when they closed the retail store they put everything up for sale, and if I remember it went for a thousand or so, would have been cool to have, I looked through it every time as I would leave the store.

#29 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

also, check this place out: American Science and Surplus http://www.sciplus.com/ They have some hokey stuff, probably still the aluminum jumping discs and those birds that dunk endlessly into a glass of water, but also a lot of actual scientific and some optical goodies. They still print a newsprint catalog that's great fun to look through, and I've ordered from them several times and been satisfied.

Russ

#30 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

There was also Ward scientific in Rochester NY. They had more serious science stuff, but some surplus optics. They had a vast collection of rocks, minerals and meteorites. Still have some stuff I got on a field trip. They gave us cost on the rocks and minerals, things were pretty cheap. I still have a 3" yes 3" diameter single pyrite crystal I picked up for a few bucks.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics