• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 da_guy2

da_guy2

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Ok, so the past few years a lot has changed in my life, and I've had a lot less time to observe. So recently I've sold a bunch of my big gear that takes too long to setup/use and all I'm keeping is my WO 80 FD. Now I need a mount to use with my WO 80 FD.

My first instinct was to go with a simple alt-az mount such as a Vixen Porta, Skywatcher AZ4, etc. They're small and light, I could be set up fast and observing in minutes.

But then I got thinking (always a bad idea) that maybe something with GOTO might be better. So something like an iOptron Cube-A, or save my pennies for an iOptron SmartEQ Pro. They cost more, and they take a bit longer to set up but once they're setup I'll have GOTO, so I'll spend my time looking at things rather than finding them. PLUS if I did get a bit more time I could even do some wide field astrophotography again.

Anyways I think I need some help... Please?

#2 da_guy2

da_guy2

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Anything?

#3 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

iOptron cubes are light duty and for the 80mm Zenithstar I have its pushing its limits a bit in my opinion. The SmartEQ Pro may be a bit better at handling the load, as you can balance it with the counter weight. As well the SmartEQ Pro is better suited for your AP needs, as the Cube's need a wedge, and the iOptron version of the wedged tripod too light duty. I put my Cube on a Oberwerks surveyor tripod because of the flex and shake from the iOptron tripod.

#4 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

For the price, and if you can spring for it now, instead of the iOptron SmartEQ Pro at $500 with a 11 lbs capacity, Astronomics is closing out their Celestron CG5 mounts for $550, and you would have 30 lbs carrying capacity...

http://www.astronomi...52.aspx?ptid=27

That's not used or demo at that price either.

#5 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

The Orion Sirius has a great reputation for accuracy and reliability. It is light weight enough to be portable and by switching from the SynScan hand controller to EQMOD, you would have a very competent AP platform for up to ~20 lbs of gear.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Anything?

Well, it would help if you were a little more specific about your price range. Anyway, if imaging, even wide-field imaging, is a goal, I'd forget the iOptrons. Get a German equatorial. Two which spring to mind are the Celestron CG5 (or the new VX) or the Orion Sirius (Skywatcher HEQ5).

#7 terry59

terry59

Aurora

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Anything?

Well, it would help if you were a little more specific about your price range. Anyway, if imaging, even wide-field imaging, is a goal, I'd forget the iOptrons. Get a German equatorial. Two which spring to mind are the Celestron CG5 (or the new VX) or the Orion Sirius (Skywatcher HEQ5).

Were I thinking about narrowband imaging in the future, the CG-5 would not be on my short list.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Were I thinking about narrowband imaging in the future, the CG-5 would not be on my short list.

It wouldn't be on mine, either, but people have done it with the CG5. Where did he mention a yen to do narrowband imaging?

#9 terry59

terry59

Aurora

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

It wouldn't be on mine, either, but people have done it with the CG5. Where did he mention a yen to do narrowband imaging?

I don't believe he did. The purpose of my comment was food for thoght ;)

#10 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

"You can't do AP with a CG-5..."
"You can do AP with long focal length scopes..."
"You can put any weight on a CG-5..."
"You can't...You can't...You can't...

I keep hearing this all the time. I'm just lucky that I don't hear very well!

Stan

Attached Files

#11 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Might want another counterweight there, Stan. ;)

-- Chris

#12 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Don't need it. I have the longer CGEM CW bar. Eliminated the need foe the extra CW.

Stan

#13 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Even for Wide Field Photo,an EQ type mount is a good way
to go!A tracking mount will let you spend more time at the eyepiece...At this time the CG5 is a Very good deal at 550
and gives you some room to grow.Alot has been done with
that under $700 priced EQ mount..
But EQ mounts are not as comfortable for EP viewing and you have to move around,and up-n-down to get you eye to the scope.(sometimes very low)But its best use a EQ to do photos over about 30 seconds.
In any case you still have to move around the scope but with alt/az the chair height can remain.
Now days there are many mount options to pick from...and prices tooo.....good luck
But as a deal the CG5 will be hard to beat..
But a small alt/az mount sure is easy to use and setup!
(my 6se sure is fun to use and move around)
CS

#14 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

If you were to do AP again, what kind of camera would you use?

#15 da_guy2

da_guy2

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Canon 6D, not modded (my wife won't let me).

#16 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Canon 6D, not modded (my wife won't let me).

I have a Canon 40D and am looking at an altaz AllView mount that Celestron sells. I think it would handle a small refractor, has goto and freatures for working with Canon.

http://www.celestron...view-mount.html

I'd like to find a review before purchasing but it is only $400.

#17 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

My vote is for that CG5 for $550. Thats a great buy and its very easy to move. I keep mine assembled and just pick it up and carry it outside then just put the counterweights on. I use my CG5 at least 20-1 compared to my CGEM DX. I love imaging with it using my AT65EDQ. I even use it when imaging with the C8 if it isnt windy. If wind is blowing you can forget it and get out the DX mount.

#18 da_guy2

da_guy2

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I really do like the idea of the CG5, but in Canada the CG5 is selling for $800 which way more than I can spend right now.

So with the amount of money I have to spend right now I shouldn't buy anything with the intention of AP. I think my best bet is to just watch the classifieds for a used alt-az mount, and keep saving for something bigger. At least that way I'll be able to use by scope in the mean time.

Again thanks for all your help.

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics